Iron Maiden "Somewhere in time" album tone

midiman

Hi guys,

Recently picked up my Axe Fx Ultra and am attempting to dial in the guitar tone from Iron Maiden's "Somewhere in time" album. I know there is a load of chorus in there but apart from that don't know where to start. Any pointers would be great.

Many thanks :roll:

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that both Dave & Adrian were experimenting with guitar synths on that album...which might be something to take into consideration when trying to duplicate their sound.

Cheers,
Dan

That tone is Marshall, Marshall, Marshall into 4x12's, use all 4 cabs... Experiment with the JMP-1 or JCM800 models. Wet it down to taste with chorus, delay and some reverb. Sprinkle a little multiband compressor and some enhancer on the top...

Amphibian said:
That tone is Marshall, Marshall, Marshall into 4x12's, use all 4 cabs... Experiment with the JMP-1 or JCM800 models. Wet it down to taste with chorus, delay and some reverb. Sprinkle a little multiband compressor and some enhancer on the top...

Actually for "Somewhere In Time" they used Gallien Krueger amps not Marshall. II think it's t's the only record they did without Marshalls... Here a link for more detail.. http://www.ironmaidenforum.com/showthread.php?t=37905

Nice pic of Janick's rig... Maiden rules! I have played in two IM tribute bands for 6 years, I miss those days......Nothing like a twin harmony attack...

Throttle said:
Actually for "Somewhere In Time" they used Gallien Krueger amps not Marshall. II think it's t's the only record they did without Marshalls... Here a link for more detail.. http://www.ironmaidenforum.com/showthread.php?t=37905

Nice pic of Janick's rig... Maiden rules! I have played in two IM tribute bands for 6 years, I miss those days......Nothing like a twin harmony attack...

Yep, that's Gallien Krueger on that album for the most part. For the Axe Fx, I'd shoot for the JCM 800 or JMP-1 model to dial it in. Either one would get you in the ballpark. I do love the tone on that album.

Yep. Gallien Kruegers.

Those things can out-Marshall a Marshall at times. I miss mine.
Sounds great through a 4x12. Lots of big acts in the 80s used them instead of Marshalls for a while. Unfortunately the power amps in them werent really capable of sustained use at gig levels.

Awesome tone machines, though.

Wow, I was just listening to that album this morning! That chorused tone is so rich, and so different from the Mesa-centric stuff I usually play. I just love that ringing chord during the verse of "Stranger in a Strange Land".

I think the synths are separate enough in most places that the actual guitar tone could be isolated. Though it would be cool if you had an ultra to try and set up a split signal with both amp and a synth going on...

Ha - I'm hoping to get an Ax-Fx soon and getting the SiT tone is my first priority. Regarding the GK's, I think they used the 250's on SiT and on SSoaSS they used the GK SEL2000/CPL2000. Great tone. I actually have a few of them lying around.

Adrian and Dave used the GK 250ML on Somewhere In Time and the 250RL on Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. The secret sauce was the inbuilt chorus on the GKs. I own a 250ML and it has 2 x 6 inch speakers which I recently replaced and the chorus "washy" effect can be controlled using the trim pots if you open up the amp.

Tonight I will get the GK 250ML out and try to get some IRs made up from the speakers. Then try match the tone in the Ultra using my ears.
I'll post the preset once here once I've got somewhere close.
\m/

Okay.... so here is the results after a quick mess around, its not great but it's getting there. I'm matching the album tone so it's taking into account any post EQ.

Remember to load up the CabIR in AxeEdit

Let me know if you guys get closer! I'm not too happy with the Cab IR so I might re-do tomorrow. It seems really fizzy on the high end. Might off-set further and add some air.

Attachments

• GK250 ML SM57 NORMALIZED_1.syx
    8 KB · Views: 39
  • GK250ML.syx
    2 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom