Iron Maiden - Powerslave Dave Murray solo 1

kavoo

Inspired
I've always been very fond of this solo, that was the first solo I've learned when I've bought my guitar 3 years ago after several years of not playing. Today I have finally found some time to work with new Powerslave tone since my old one became obsolete with Q2 firmware introduction (previous one was made with FW17 or 18).

Work is still in progress, because I want to include all the tones in one preset as scenes (clean, DM rhythm, DM lead, AS rhythm, AS lead), but Murray's scenes are pretty much done (although some minor tweaks probably will be needed) so I thought I'll recall this solo from memory to test the tone over a backingtrack.

So here it is:

Can you give a quick summary of amp, drive and fx settings? My band covers this song.. I have an AX8 so can't pull up your preset

At this moment (work in progress) all the amp and fx settings are based on Dave Murray tone tutorials from YT (easy to find). But in case of the JMP-1 settings you have to keep in mind that JMPre-1 model covers wider range of BMT controls than its reference. Check this post written by volt in other thread, which helped me a lot in setting a JMPre-1:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/im-confused-about-modeling-a-jmp-1.110637/#post-1324303

Anyway at this moment my amp settings are as follows:
JMPre1 OD2 BS
Input drive - 10
BMT - 8.33/8.33/8.33
Presence - 7.22
Master Volume - 4
Boost ON

About FX:
CHORUS: speed - 0.188, depth - 30%, mix - 13%
DELAY: time - 480 ms, feedback - 5%, mix - 10%
REVERB (set by ear): Medium Chamber, mix - 40% (everything else at default)

Still working on UniVibe effect, it's in the ballpark but not perfect. Tried to use a Phaser block in Classic Vibe mode (Cliff mentioned once that it was modeled after Fulltone Deja Vibe which should be perfect choice for Murray's "floating" solo tone), but I was unable to sort it out. Right now I'm using Wah block (Clyde) with auto control (LFO), but it's not there yet... I will need some more tweaking in this department so there's no point to give you any settings - maybe you'll have better results with Classic Vibe.

Oh... and one more thing - it was tonematched after setting an amp and modulation effects. UniVibe effect (or AutoWah in this case) was tweaked after tonematching.

Nice job kavoo! Where did you find the backing track?
I have found it on YT couple years ago, fellow who uploaded it have added in description a link to his mediashare (or other service) account where he had several Maiden tracks as backing/master tracks packages. Unfortunately it's not on YT anymore, but not long ago someone have posted somewhere on forum a link to huge archive of Rocksmith DLC and I believe Powerslave stems were in it. You should find it with no problem.

At this moment (work in progress) all the amp and fx settings are based on Dave Murray tone tutorials from YT (easy to find). But in case of the JMP-1 settings you have to keep in mind that JMPre-1 model covers wider range of BMT controls than its reference. Check this post written by volt in other thread, which helped me a lot in setting a JMPre-1:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/im-confused-about-modeling-a-jmp-1.110637/#post-1324303

JMPre1 OD2 BS
Input drive - 10
BMT - 8.33/8.33/8.33
Presence - 7.22
Master Volume - 4
Boost ON

About FX:

Still working on UniVibe effect, it's in the ballpark but not perfect. Tried to use a Phaser block in Classic Vibe mode (Cliff mentioned once that it was modeled after Fulltone Deja Vibe which should be perfect choice for Murray's "floating" solo tone), but I was unable to sort it out. Right now I'm using Wah block (Clyde) with auto control (LFO), but it's not there yet... I will need some more tweaking in this department so there's no point to give you any settings - maybe you'll have better results with Classic Vibe.

Oh... and one more thing - it was tonematched after setting an amp and modulation effects. UniVibe effect (or AutoWah in this case) was tweaked after tonematching.
Thank you!

You're welcome.

One thing to keep in mind - those settngs I've posted above are for LEAD tone. Rhythm tone is different (JMPre-1 OD1 BS with different settings). I'll post those settings when I'll get home.

JMPre1 OD2 BS
Input drive - 10
BMT - 8.33/8.33/8.33
Presence - 7.22
Master Volume - 4
Boost ON

About FX:

Coming from someone in an Iron Maiden tribute band, THANK YOU!

OK, here are the settings for DM rhythm scene:

JMPre-1 OD1 BS
Input drive - 10
BMT - 8.33/8.33/7.78
Presence - 8.33
Master Volume - 4
Boost OFF
Cut - ON
Fat - ON

CHORUS: OFF
DELAY: OFF
REVERB: Small Room, mix - 40% (everything else at default)

Same for Adrian's rhythm scene, except for different User Cab IR (exported from TMA block).

This is my base, all the rest (and most important) is ToneMatching both guitarists' rhythm and solo parts saved as User Cabs. You have to make this step by yourself, my User Cabs won't work for you (different guitar, different pickups, different hands... you know what I mean).

I've always been very fond of this solo, that was the first solo I've learned when I've bought my guitar 3 years ago after several years of not playing. Today I have finally found some time to work with new Powerslave tone since my old one became obsolete with Q2 firmware introduction (previous one was made with FW17 or 18).

Work is still in progress, because I want to include all the tones in one preset as scenes (clean, DM rhythm, DM lead, AS rhythm, AS lead), but Murray's scenes are pretty much done (although some minor tweaks probably will be needed) so I thought I'll recall this solo from memory to test the tone over a backingtrack.

So here it is:

Hello, were you able to create that one patch with all the scenes? If yes, would you be so kind to let me know where do i find it... Is it on the exchange?

Well done! This sounds fantastic. I'm pretty sure that Dave had a MXR Phase built into his Cornish board during this era for the swirly tone. I don't think it's a Univibe.

Back
Top Bottom