FM9 Iron Maiden, Caught Somewhere in Time, w/ FM9s

My Iron Maiden tribute band (Peace of Mind, in Minneapolis MN) had our first in-person gig since the pandemic back in March. We finally got around to putting some of the footage together and posting a video. A few rough spots throughout (including some monitoring-induced timing issues at the very beginning), but we were pretty happy with how it all came together, given how long it had been since we'd been in front of an actual, in-person crowd.

Both guitars are going through Fractal FM9s direct, with me (on the right) using a Mark IV model and our other guitarist using a JMP model.

We have our next show next Friday (March 17) at Red Carpet in St. Cloud MN, and then in mid-July at the Rock Fest in Eau Claire WI, if anyone is in the area and would like to check it out.

Sounds great man. If I'd have known you guys were at Route 47, I could have probably headed out. Hard to know anymore when bands are playing since I bailed on FB a couple years ago.

Sounds great man. If I'd have known you guys were at Route 47, I could have probably headed out. Hard to know anymore when bands are playing since I bailed on FB a couple years ago.
We'll be playing at Rock Fest in Cadot, WI on the 14th. If you'll be there, we'd love for you to check us out!

You guys sound good. It must take a lot of rehearsing to get those harmonized guitar lines to sound tight. Well done!
Thanks, it's always nice when people appreciate the time put into try to get things like that as polished as we can manage! Thankfully it doesn't usually take too much time in rehearsal itself -- one of the great things about this band is we're pretty good about doing our homework and coming to rehearsal well prepared. But, I think we both spend plenty of time at home trying to get our parts tight, including intonation on the bends.

Harmonized bends like in this one are tough to really nail, b/c both guitars have to not just get to the right final pitch but get there at the same pace or else it'll sound out of whack along the way even if you both ultimately end up on pitch. There are times I'll listen to rehearsal audio and harmonizes will sound off even though either one of us by ourselves sound correct, just b/c of small differences in phrasing, how quickly we bend, vibrato differences, etc. On most harmonized lines, those differences don't matter much, but some (like Somewhere in Time, Ides of March as well) seem to be very unforgiving and highlight any small differences. So I spent some time at home with playing along with rehearsal audio of the rest of the band, just focusing on matching the speed of the bends. Although we certainly didn't nail it 100% here, especially at the beginning (I couldn't hear the other guitarist very well and there is no stead drum rhythm at the start, so we got out of sync for a bit), overall we were happy with how it come together, and it's great to hear that others thought it sounded good!

@Art_Vandelay You guys sound fantastic! I am a huge Iron Maiden fan having seen them live many, many times. Your harmony leads are spot on and your bass player and drummer have the rhythm down. Your singer is a beast!

We'll be playing at Rock Fest in Cadot, WI on the 14th. If you'll be there, we'd love for you to check us out!
I usually don't miss RF. Have a group of friends that I go with and we camp from Wednesday night though Sunday. This is one year I'm not going unfortunately. Have to divert funds to another endeavor. I'm disappointed for sure. It's the one thing I year I try and plan around. I will for sure send them over to the Jack's stage if they are available when you guys are playing. I'm assuming you're doing multiple sets though the day? My buddy is a massive Maiden fan. I've shared a vid of you guys with him before.

I usually don't miss RF. Have a group of friends that I go with and we camp from Wednesday night though Sunday. This is one year I'm not going unfortunately. Have to divert funds to another endeavor. I'm disappointed for sure. It's the one thing I year I try and plan around. I will for sure send them over to the Jack's stage if they are available when you guys are playing. I'm assuming you're doing multiple sets though the day? My buddy is a massive Maiden fan. I've shared a vid of you guys with him before.
Sorry you won't be able to make it, but we appreciate you putting in the word for your friends that will be there! We are indeed playing three 1 hour sets (5:15, 7:25, and 9:50). This will be my first time at Rock Fest (playing or attending), so not quite sure what to expect, but it should be fun!

Sorry you won't be able to make it, but we appreciate you putting in the word for your friends that will be there! We are indeed playing three 1 hour sets (5:15, 7:25, and 9:50). This will be my first time at Rock Fest (playing or attending), so not quite sure what to expect, but it should be fun!
It's an absolute blast. I think Wade puts on an amazing festival. The vibe there has been great the 5-6 years I've been going. People seem to get along very well. Good party vibe. Lot of good people. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The Jack Daniels stage is kind of in a tough spot. It's more or less wedged on the opposite side of the the VIP area from the main stage. I think it's a poor spot for it as I think the bands don't get good exposure there. I think if they'd make it so you could see better and get in from VIP it might get better foot traffic for the bands in there. Definitely hope you guys get a good draw.

You guys sound great! Those leads were spot on, and loved that you guys did the harmony together in the second solo, very tight. Any chance of sharing that preset? Struggling hard to get the right iron maiden tone, especially that Dave Murray neck pickup lead sound which you nailed!

Thanks for the compliments on the playing and the tone! And glad you like the harmony I added in the second solo -- it's subtle, but I think it is a nice touch. Purely by chance the videographer happened to pan over to me at that part, which worked out well.

It's been long enough that I don't remember for certain what patch I used, but if it wasn't this one, it would have been something very similar. Note that I am using a couple of commercial IRs, which I don't think it would be appropriate for me to include. CAB 1 is 'OH 412 MRBW GRN JPL [MP]' from Ownhammer, and CAB 2 is 'YA MES 212 V30 Mix 12' from York Audio.

Attachments

• PoM JP2C_6.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for the compliments on the playing and the tone! And glad you like the harmony I added in the second solo -- it's subtle, but I think it is a nice touch. Purely by chance the videographer happened to pan over to me at that part, which worked out well.

It's been long enough that I don't remember for certain what patch I used, but if it wasn't this one, it would have been something very similar. Note that I am using a couple of commercial IRs, which I don't think it would be appropriate for me to include. CAB 1 is 'OH 412 MRBW GRN JPL [MP]' from Ownhammer, and CAB 2 is 'YA MES 212 V30 Mix 12' from York Audio.
Wow, thank you so much! Can't wait to test this, thanks for also sharing the IR's, such a crucial part, and honestly hard to get right.

Back
Top Bottom