IR trouble? Forget all the commercial IRs... !!!

Again, I don't want to blame the commercial IR factories to do something wrong intentionally but something is quite different in their IRs and mine. I don't know what it is.... if you know it, tell me....nevertheless, try it!
I belive You but... every cab sounds diff every speaker also every sm57 too, Can You reamp some multitrack and post a result? I think many other people can do the same with same DI then we can compare finall results.. I know its only one song or one cab IR but I want to hear it what You hear now :D

Maybe Deliverance multitrack 4 DI guitars + backing track? At the end Im more then sure finall result will be + - 10% diff :D But yea lets do this!

Link to multitrack : https://mega.nz/#!Hs5jybaL!eUrbQYlLayFiLWDdeMTOYTc7RSHne1736i4CZ5ixp3A

Here my old reamps with mu SLO100 clone Amp :D

So yea lets hear that amazing Ir from You in a full context.

Stay Metal!

Last edited:
I recently hab trouble finding the sweet spot in my Cab settings. It was like nothing had the mids and the response I was looking for. I used IRs from Redwirez and Ownhammer and I don't want to bash what they are doing, but I guess they are doing something wrong or telling us lies or something else (no blame, but searching for a reason I had that trouble with their IRs...).

So I decided to make a little experiment, which I thought would not end in good results. But I tried and it was just the right step to "my sound" with more than great results. I shot a lot of IRs of my own cabinets. Exactly, I did this:

I shot:
- 16 IRS of every speaker I have in combination with a mic and a cabinet. (each Centimeter one IR, from edge to cap, on axis and angled)
- I've got 2 speakers (Celestion V30 and Celestion G12M Greenback), 10 suitable mics out of the locker (cheap ones and expensive mics; ribbons, condensers and dynamics) and 3 different cabinets (1x12 open back, 4x12 straight closed back, 4x12 slanted closed back)
- So all in all I've shot about 1920 IRs, of which I could choose exactly the one I need for a sound.
- I know it's a bit overkill to shoot that much!

My obversations:
- All the bass and treble that annoyed me in those commercial IRs is gone. It just sounds like it sounds in real life, on stage and in the studio when you mike a cab.
- No need for all those virtual parameters like high cut, low cut and proximity anymore. It's all captured right in the "real" IR. Choose IR, perhaps adjust delay when going stereo and start playing.

So my advice for you is to shoot your own cabs (with a method that suits your power amp) and enjoy playing your real cabs. They are so much better than what they offer you for money.

By the way: My favorite IR is my "4x12 straight V30 SM57 on axis 13cm" IR.

Again, I don't want to blame the commercial IR factories to do something wrong intentionally but something is quite different in their IRs and mine. I don't know what it is.... if you know it, tell me....nevertheless, try it!

I hope this helps if you have trouble with IRs.
Is it the tonality of those cab packs or plethora of options that is the issue for you?

If it is the choice overload, this little article I wrote may help with the selection process of any IR provider's packs:
https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/s...mpulse-response-ir-file-packs-or-collections/

If there are certain terms that are unfamiliar to you, they are defined in my FAQ if you click on the content and page tabs (greyed out word), the content gets revealed.

Judging all commercial IRs by RedWirez and OH will lead you to miss out on others who have a decidedly different production aesthetic. It would be like judging all metal albums' production just by the output of 1 or 2 prominent producers.

The room you use to record in has a huge impact on your sound, as does mic selection, technique, and a ton of other variables.

Oh, I heard one of those "metal bands" before, it was harsh and I didn't like it....but IRs I like!

Of course, I'm kidding, I do plenty of metal-ish stuff among other things, though I usually try to avoid "harsh", anyway...

Awesome that you are able to make your own IRs that work better for you then the commercial ones you've tried, but honestly, they're all different, so trying to say ALL commercial IRs are crap is ridiculous.

On the other hand, maybe you're a natural at producing IRs yourself, so if you wanted to share some and maybe even get into producing your own "commercial" IRs, nobody's going to mind another IR producer if you bring something new to the table, all the better for everyone!

So, to be clear, I'm not ripping on you, I believe your IRs work best for you and that those same IRs would give others some useful cabs, but I don't think it's fair to make statements about all IRs unless you've actually tried their IRs and even then all things come with a YMMV warning (or should).

to ertan:
"13cm" means that it's the close-miked position 13cm from the edge of the cabinet. Weird kind of measurement, but in the end it's just a name to have them sorted.

to yek:
The only thing I am telling you are my (long-term) experiences.... I have tried a lot of things with their IRs to have them sound right and what I've found is, that my own work better right after shooting the IR. I'm not an expert for IRs, capturing and all these things, but I do hear and feel things going on when playing guitar.

I don't doubt that there is knowledge and experience, but I trust my ears, my hands and my own experience more than their knowledge and experience. I read a lot of times we should trust our ears in this forum...

I am sorry for the sentence you've quoted, yek, I should have written that better. There is no "but" now.... I've just tried to explain my thoughts, searching for an explanation of what I was hearing and if this is the only complaint, I am cool with it...

to sustainerplayer:
No you can't try my IRs, because I made the mistake of not dumping them from the Axe to my computer.... If anyone knows a way to get them out of the box into my pc, please let me know and then of course you can try them.
I have also bought a s... load of IR's and very few are worth the money. 99 percent is strange sounding (dark/hissy etc.). Please share these IR's you have made... :)

Back
Top Bottom