IR/ Tone Question

Brian Greco

Inspired
Hope everyone is well.

Tonight, I was thinking of bringing one of my Axe FX tones into my DAW to make some adjustments.

So, my question is this, has anyone ever exported a “polished” Axe FX tone from their DAW as a .wav file, then converted it to back to a .syx file?

If so, how did it sound after making some adjustments?

Hi Chris,
So are you saying that if I recorded an Axe preset into my DAW, made some adjustments, exported it as a .wav file and then back to a .SYX file, it wouldn’t make difference?
it will sound horrible. you don't make an Impulse Response based off guitar playing. you make it off of the Response of an Impulse through a speaker.

try it.

Tones don’t make IRs.
Hope everyone is well.

Tonight, I was thinking of bringing one of my Axe FX tones into my DAW to make some adjustments.

So, my question is this, has anyone ever exported a “polished” Axe FX tone from their DAW as a .wav file, then converted it to back to a .syx file?

it will sound horrible. you don't make an Impulse Response based off guitar playing. you make it off of the Response of an Impulse through a speaker.

try it.
ugh... there’s no way I’m going to do that now LOL. I don’t want to waste my Time doing something that’s going to end up sounding bad.

Chris, I want to thank you for getting back to me I really appreciate it.

Hope everyone is well.

Well, you could play around with the wav file and then make a Tone Match when you’re done. That could become a new preset.

Well, you could play around with the wav file and then make a Tone Match when you’re done. That could become a new preset.
Thanks grandinq. That’s actually an interesting idea. I might give that a go. I’m always looking for new ways to improve upon tone.

Yes it is very possible:
Record your tone and mess around with it in your DAW
Record your tone again but without the cab block
Use a tonematch system (Axe or DAW) to match the cab-less tone to your modded tone
Import back to Axe as a cab and use this cab

Yes it is very possible:
Record your tone and mess around with it in your DAW
Record your tone again but without the cab block
Use a tonematch system (Axe or DAW) to match the cab-less tone to your modded tone
Import back to Axe as a cab and use this cab
Hey Birdy,
Thank you very much for the idea. I would like to give that a try.

Apologies if I’m being dumb, but I can’t grasp what you’re trying to achieve that you couldn’t just do with the Axe Fx itself

Hey Mark,
Thanks for your response. I often use the PEQ for my tones in the Axe FX. Due to the fact that I have some high-end equalizers and compressors in my DAW, I was curious what it would be like to record a tone, use the above mentioned, then convert the .wav file back to a .syx file To see if it would make any difference. However, as you can see above Chris mentioned that it would to see if it would make any difference. However, as you can see above Chris mentioned that it would sound pretty bad. It was just A bit of an experimental question.

What you can help me do is try to get a tighter bottom end. When I use the compressor block, there seems to be an overall change in tone. When I try using a drive or a boost block, it tends to color the tone to some extent. I am always looking for new ways to shape tones, which is why I ask these questions.

Thanks for taking an interest.

Back
Top Bottom