IR smoothing

toneseeker911

Experienced
Just noticed this parameter recently. Pretty effective to get rid of the hollow sound from some IRs. I’m at about 4-5 usually, but for some IRs even cranking it up to 8.
A quick search in the forum tells me it’s leveling out the peaks in the IR frequency response. I guess, maybe removing some “character” from the cabs, but either way, sounds better with many unbalanced (to my ears) cabs.

I use up to 9, depending on the cab. I like to get rid of any reflections first by trimming the length, then I’ll go anywhere from 3 to 9 on the Smoothing to remove the phasiness. I like to imagine the cab I use to be recorded in an isolation booth, magically free of any reflections. Perhaps a bullshit idea, but that’s the sound that inspires me. That’s what’s in my head.

I think the hollowness comes not from the IRs, but from how some guitars react to different IRs. I find it really interesting to follow what Leon Todd does to create a tone in a video, repeat the steps, and cop his licks or riffs. With my guitar, it always sounds phasey, hollow, or harsh. I figure it’s my guitar, my pick, my playing. The unaltered IRs work perfectly for him, but not for me. No big deal, I use Smoothing, and I get the sounds not to sound bad.

I think IRs are kind of wondrous, but I never forget how insanely contextual they are. They were captured by a person hearing a cab in a room they know, based on amps and guitars they know. You put me in their room, with my guitar, and the angles you need for a good IR change entirely. Or you just Smooth and EQ it to perfection. And some IRs are just perfection off the bat, and that tells me the guitar, pickups, picks, strings, and technique you use are close enough to the IR creator that it’s a great match.

But anyway, I’m so glad I got the Axe-FX III over the FM3, because I use Smoothing on every tone I create these days.

I’ve never trimmed IRs. I need to try it out, I’m guessing you trim the tail to try removing reflections ?

Yeah, totally. The default length is Max, which varies depending on the source IR, but then you can choose 1024, 512, or 256 also. They will all alter the tone, but not in a bad way. You'll lose low end as you decrease the length, but you'll also lose reflections. The amount you need to trim to lose reflections is completely dependent on the IR you're using. What I do is I hit, e.g., the 9th fret of the 3rd string and let it sustain with vibrato, then I'll hit notes going up in 5ths from there; that seems always to exploit where room reflections will really show up in the sound. I'll make a quick recording of that, but you can also just use the looper immediately after your Input Block. Anyway, I'll just play that recording of sustained notes with wild vibrato in a loop, and decrease the IR length until the reflections go away. Then, I'll record a loop of me actually playing something I'd want to sound great with the tone I'm creating, and I'll start increasing Smoothing until the hollowness / phasiness goes away. With Smoothing I'll go just to that point, but I don't want to go further, because the high end can be too much at that point, and once you get it just at the level where the phasiness goes away, you can use various EQs for the rest of the sculpting.

Finally, I think Smoothing is best complimented by Proximity and Proximity Frequency. This is the really fun part. Now you've gotten your IR not to sound phasey, and you've also removed the room reflections, so it sounds kind of Tabula Rasa, but you've almost certainly lost low end. To me, Smoothing sounds like you've moved the mic very close to the center of the speaker, at the dome, but that only sounds like that on the high end. With a real mic, if you were to do that you'd gain not only high end, but also low end. So the Proximity parameter allows you to fine tune the low end. Here's what I do:

Increase the Proximity Level until the bass is overwhelming. Just make it too much to sound good. Now adjust the Proximity Frequency. If you're using the front panel of the unit, it's two pages to the right of the main IR selection / mixing page, at the bottom right corner. On Axe-Edit it's on the same screen. Now I adjust the Proximity Frequency until the pick attack sounds just right. I emphasize pick attack because that counterintuitive. Pick attack is not primarily in the lows at all, but I find that Proximity changes the character of your pick attack greatly, and it can either kill the power and character of your pick attack, or enhance it to be even better. So I'll just move the knob until the pick attack is just awesome. But now you've got a boomy mess. So you now reduce the Proximity level to remove the boominess. You'll find it supports the tone in a nice way. Sometimes I'll spend a good deal of time jumping between Proximity and Proximity Frequency until I get everything right. It's incredible for every kind of tone I try to create, at any level of gain.

The thing with Proximity is, the method I use here is something that is really easy and intuitive if you're using a single IR, but it is more complicated if you're using many IRs. If you're of the mindset to use, e.g. one IR for definition / character, and a second for low end girth, then the fine tuning may be more time consuming, because the Axe-FX III currently only has a master Proximity Frequency parameter; it does not allow fine tuning for each individual IR. So I've found that, exploiting this parameter the way I like means using one IR for definition / character, even if it sounds thin, then really fine tuning the low end with Proximity and Proximity Frequency. And of course you can EQ from there if you'd like. But to me Proximity and Proximity Frequency allow greater low end control that simply finding a dark IR to complement the IR that covers the definition / character side of the tone.

One thing that I should add, that really works well for me to optimize the tone, is to use programs that allow for movable mics, and to capture IRs from there. Stuff like TH-U, which allows more interesting options, like ReSpire and Remastered, for each position, and Amplitube. The MIKKO plugin works in a similar way, but Mikko himself does not believe in trying to get reflection free IRs because so many famous guitar tones have been made with recordings filled with reflections, and I find it very difficult to find spots with that plugin that avoid phasiness with my guitar. If I change guitars or pickups, I'll give that another go. Anyway, with TH-U and Amplitube 4, you can set the resolution too, which I suspect is IR length. You'll still probably have to trim if you want to lose all reflections, but I've found that with TH-U and Amplitube (I use versions 4 and 5, which have different IRs), it is pretty quick and easy to get an IR that does not have that hollowness / phasiness; this means you may end up using no Smoothing at all, or just far less. You'll still get some reflections, but that can easily be trimmed after you capture the IR. To capture the IR, I'll save the cabinet preset in the program, open a new project in Reaper, then send a 48 kHz sine wave sweep .wav file of 30 seconds through the cabinet, the result of which I save. You then use the DeConvolve function in ReaVerb, in which it will ask for the file with the sine wave going through the cabinet, then it will ask for the sine wave file to deconvolve from the signal, creating your IR. The nice thing here is, since Amplitube and TH-U alllow for multiple mics, you can capture them as a single IR, which is easy to handle. If you do try this and have trouble, let me know and I may be able to help.

One more plugin to mention is Wall of Sound. That acts in a similar way, but to DeConvolve, for some reason I have to use Voxengo Deconvolver. With Wall of Sound and Amplitube 5, the resulting captured IR does not sound 100% like what you create in the plugin, but it's close enough to be extremely useful. With TH-U and Amplitube 4, it seems right on. I suspect that with TH-U and Amplitube 5, there's some extra stuff going on outside of the IR itself that can't be captured completely. And I know Two Notes, who makes Wall of Sound, is in beta testing for its next generation cab sim, which probably will be less possible to capture entirely. I wouldn't be opposed to using a piece of Wall of Sound hardware myself, because I like their cabs so much, but then you do completely lose all the IR shaping tools we currently have, so it's a trade off. Right now I know I can get what I'm after by altering IRs to fit my guitar.

Back
Top Bottom