IR request- scumback paper voice coil

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
I changed the title to a request to the IR purveyors. If anyone is doing any new shoots, please consider throwing in some of these guys. The Pete thorn clips below sound really interesting. According to the Scumback website, these baby's can actually catch on fire if you pump too many watts through them.. Now that is rock and roll!

Original post:
i recently listened to some scumback comparison clips and the papercones models sounded great for vintage medium gain stuff. Anyone selling cab packs of these?

Last edited:
Are they standard in any manufacturer's 2X12 or 4X12? Not seeing this when doing various types of searches.

I have a couple of Scumback speakers around. Most IR producers probably do... the thing is, these are copies or reissues trying to sound like pre-Rolas. Why not have the real pre-Rola Cab Packs like the ML Legends that was just released: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ML_Legends_p/fas-801-0052b.htm

One of the big strengths in using a modeler with IR's is that you don't have to use reissues in fear of getting vintage gear that breaks easily and costs a fortune.

I have a couple of Scumback speakers around. Most IR producers probably do... the thing is, these are copies or reissues trying to sound like pre-Rolas. Why not have the real pre-Rola Cab Packs like the ML Legends that was just released: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ML_Legends_p/fas-801-0052b.htm

One of the big strengths in using a modeler with IR's is that you don't have to use reissues in fear of getting vintage gear that breaks easily and costs a fortune.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the paper voice coil type scum backs are a completely different speaker then a greenback copy. I'm not sure if Scumback put this together on their own or what but it certainly seems to sound distinctive

Yeah that's the 20w Greenback that was before pre-Rola. I actually own the Celestion Heritage 20w Greenbacks which are Celestion's own attempt at recreating the 20w Greenback but I don't know if the cone is anything special.

Here's a real life comparison also:

I can get my hands on the originals actually.

Yeah that's the 20w Greenback that was before pre-Rola. I actually own the Celestion Heritage 20w Greenbacks which are Celestion's own attempt at recreating the 20w Greenback but I don't know if the cone is anything special.

Here's a real life comparison also:

I can get my hands on the originals actually.

Thanks for clarifying. That would be really cool to shoot some original 20 watt speakers. There are currently no cab packs with these?

Back
Top Bottom