IR/Re-amp Comparison: "Killswitch Engage - End Of Heartache"

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I've been trying to come up with new ways to contribute to this forum. I think searching for IRs or tones in general that work in a mix can sometimes be a bit hard and I wanted to create this quick mix comparison session so I can go through new IRs really quickly. There was really no point for me not to share this with you guys so I hope you find this useful. So here's quite a big .zip file that includes:

-Full mix of "Killswitch Engage - End Of Heartache" without guitar tracks.

-Guitar tracks played by yours truly with a preset that is matched to sound like a Mesa Roadster but has no cab modeling. This is perfect for people that have the Cab-Lab 3 VST plugin.

-Guitar track DI tracks of me playing the riffs so you can re-amp the song with your Axe-Fx.

Here's the file: https://db.tt/5TWe3RfD

Also here's a quick test I did to see if the session works properly using Cab Pack 7 and the infamous SM57-MD421 01 IR:

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of questions on how this works. Feel free to ask in this thread. I'm sure there are people besides myself who are willing to help you out. :)

Last edited:
That sounds great Mikko! That cab-pack is still such a great pack. So many extremely useful IR's.

Quick question about the Non-Guitar KSE track. Are these the actual tracks from the recording? Or did you recreate the drums/bass? It sounds like its from the recording, but where can you get that??

Also, did you happen to post that Roadster preset anywhere? I'd love to give that a spin!

Thanks for sharing!

That sounds great Mikko! That cab-pack is still such a great pack. So many extremely useful IR's.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the compliments! Cab Pack 7 definitely is one of those packs that seems to always work. You can trust that it makes everything fit. :) I did high pass quite heavily for this song though.

Quick question about the Non-Guitar KSE track. Are these the actual tracks from the recording? Or did you recreate the drums/bass? It sounds like its from the recording, but where can you get that??!

It's me on live drums, bass and vocals on that backing track. This is the complete final truth! :lol :lol :lol

Also, did you happen to post that Roadster preset anywhere? I'd love to give that a spin!

Sure I think I can share it. Might actually need a separate thread for that one but once again I have no reason not to share it. It's got a low resonance tweak to it just like the Mark IV preset I shared which may or may not work with all guitars though but personally I prefer the Recto sound over the Mark sound... at least today. It changes constantly. :D

F*%&$ing awesome idea! Will make mostly sense, if people adopt their own DI`s just with their own RAW Amp w/o Cab-Sim... but reamping through CK tracks should make a lot fun :) :encouragement: Cool stuff! Everybody should try!

I've been trying to come up with new ways to contribute to this forum.

Because you havent done enough already? :lol: This is a really good idea! I just jammed to your End of Heartache and it sounds just like the original, maybe even better. I am still in love with Cab Pack 7 and dont see myself moving on anytime soon. It does the job for me.

Sounds pretty good man !, just a question, whats the story behind the Scandinavians people to sign Metal very well ? ;), this cab-pack terminated all my worries about Boogies and Friedman amps :), I hope you release Cab-Pack 7 Phase 2 :), you know what I mean ? :)

I'm not sure exactly bud I feel MR.Beard Bear will use something different than to Mark series in their upcoming album, I think Mesa Roadster is feasible, I know it depends on their music warp and woof, bud he used it before and also he like back to his tone and music library from time to time, what do you think about this matter as well ?

Thank you for the compliments! Cab Pack 7 definitely is one of those packs that seems to always work. You can trust that it makes everything fit. :) I did high pass quite heavily for this song though.

It's me on live drums, bass and vocals on that backing track. This is the complete final truth! :lol :lol :lol

Sure I think I can share it. Might actually need a separate thread for that one but once again I have no reason not to share it. It's got a low resonance tweak to it just like the Mark IV preset I shared which may or may not work with all guitars though but personally I prefer the Recto sound over the Mark sound... at least today. It changes constantly. :D

So because of your KSE post, I was inspired to put a little diddy together. It doesn't have bass right now, or vocals, but most of the other parts are there. Let me know what you think!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8si9p631d14gok4/SUNNY DAY 1.2.mp3?dl=0

Last edited:
Sounds great Mikko, however I has one criticism and it's only the pedant in me speaking...

The guitars sound a little honky and lacking mid range. It doesn't seem to have that bottom end pump tot he guitars....

Just my thoughts. Sounds great otherwise :)

Sounds great Mikko, however I has one criticism and it's only the pedant in me speaking...

The guitars sound a little honky and lacking mid range. It doesn't seem to have that bottom end pump tot he guitars....

Just my thoughts. Sounds great otherwise :)

Yeah I definitely post processed the guitars in that mix I made. I cut 400hz and 250hz... mostly because I was trying to match the original guitars a bit. The original guitars are thin as paper. :)

That's great man! Definitely reminds me of KSE. Thrashy! That calm C part break down is almost identical to one of my songs that I haven't released yet. :D

Thanks man! I'd love to hear your track!

About the comment of the EQ of the guitars for KSE, I read somewhere that he used some Multi-band comp at about 200hz to tame the lows. I ended up doing a little bit of that on my guitars. Rolling off all the way to 160hz, boost a little with the multi-band around 200 or so, and compress it a little. It starts to have the chunk without adding too much crazy low end. Granted, I don't have bass in mine yet, so I'll have to make some room for that once it's done.

Definitely. The original guitars for that particular mix were high passed almost at 200hz. That's IMO crazy.

Definitely. The original guitars for that particular mix were high passed almost at 200hz. That's IMO crazy.

Jeez! I had no idea there was that much lowend taken out of those guitars. Its funny how you can reference a mix as much as you want, even for the low chunk of guitars (in this case) and still learn something like that. Great to know!

This is what I really get from all of these threads...

SM57-MD421 01 is the best impulse ever. End of story.

It's pretty good I must say. :lol I'm having a hard time deciding between that and 04 but they're really close to each other. Okay I have a perfect tease for you guys. I have a folder on my desktop that is called "BEST ALLOYS". Here's what's inside:

ck_tease.jpg

What is that? No more CK? What is that? What's under the blur? Is it in alphabetical order? Do we get a Cab Pack with at least 59 SM57-MD421 Alloy IRs?

Back
Top Bottom