IR question about 4x12's......vs 1x12's

X-Mann

Experienced
Ok, I'm NOT a very smart Mann & have what I think is a pretty dumb question.....but here goes.

How is a 4x12 IR clip made or created? What makes it different then a 1x12 IR?

Is the 4x12 IR made with 4-Mics with one on each speaker?

What about a 2x12?

Or is it just 1-mic & it just picks-up the other speakers in the background?

& if everything is done with only 1-mic....what's making them all sound so different?

For anyone in "The Know" please enlighten a Fractal Brother out.....

Thanks in advance!

X

The cabinet size, and the reflections within the cabinet makes a huge difference
Great & I assumed that, but how many Mics are used/needed per each cabinet IR model?

I know that "Real" cabinets have this, but how is that captured accurately in an IR model?

Ok, I'm NOT a very smart Mann & have what I think is a pretty dumb question.....but here goes.

How is a 4x12 IR clip made or created? What makes it different then a 1x12 IR?

Is the 4x12 IR made with 4-Mics with one on each speaker?

What about a 2x12?

Or is it just 1-mic & it just picks-up the other speakers in the background?

& if everything is done with only 1-mic....what's making them all sound so different?

For anyone in "The Know" please enlighten a Fractal Brother out.....

Thanks in advance!

X

How they are created is up to the engineers. There are different approaches.

Recently, from what gets posted here about how the IR's are created, a lot of IR producers approach it just like they would when tracking a record.

They setup the cabinet and microphones the same as they would for tracking that then shoot an IR.

One difference is some of the IR packs offer individual microphone IR's with the intention of them being mixed later when they are used. E.g. an SM57 and a Royer121 to shoot two IR's of the same cabinet and speaker.

In addition to the individual mics, you will also find "mix" IR's. These are either, multiple microphones blended together when the IR is created or a mix of IR's done with software after the IR's are individually created.

Seek out the free IR's / presets done recently with Larry Mitchell by FAS. They include an IR of multiple mics blended at the console and shot once. To my ears I really like this approach vs. mixing IR's in post.

How they are created is up to the engineers. There are different approaches.

Recently, from what gets posted here about how the IR's are created, a lot of IR producers approach it just like they would when tracking a record.

They setup the cabinet and microphones the same as they would for tracking that then shoot an IR.

One difference is some of the IR packs offer individual microphone IR's with the intention of them being mixed later when they are used. E.g. an SM57 and a Royer121 to shoot two IR's of the same cabinet and speaker.

In addition to the individual mics, you will also find "mix" IR's. These are either, multiple microphones blended together when the IR is created or a mix of IR's done with software after the IR's are individually created.

Seek out the free IR's / presets done recently with Larry Mitchell by FAS. They include an IR of multiple mics blended at the console and shot once. To my ears I really like this approach vs. mixing IR's in post.
Thank you for this great response & it was just what I needed.

I never even thought that they could be done in a studio the way a real cabinet is mic'd.....

I'll go grab those Larry Mitchell IR's too.....

This gives me a lot to think about & thanks again.....

X

My current go to cab is from CabIR.eu of the Orange 4x12 with G12H speakers where all 4 speakers were mic'd. I don't think that is very common, but I like it. The pack also has various combinations of which speaker(s) and mic(s) were used.

Most engineers will choose a particular speaker or two in the cab and mic them up. Sometimes with single mics, sometimes with multiple mics on the same speaker...

Many complicated questions. I'll try to explain it. A bigger cabinet will sound "bigger" kind of like a physically bigger human being may have a deeper voice. The speaker is maybe comparable to vocal cords. The speaker is definitely most responsible for creating sound but the size of the cabinet itself makes a different just like your mouth can make different vowel sounds by changing the shape/size. It's not directly comparable as the human mouth comes after the vocal chords and a speaker has nothing in front of it. The cabinet has a huge impact on the low and high end and how the speaker sounds.

Not every 4x12 sounds bigger than a 1x12. F.ex. the Suhr cabinets I shot sound bigger than some 4x12s I've shot. The Zilla IR's are all 2x12 IR's and they most definitely sound bigger than most 4x12 IR's out there. So... people who know what they're doing can manipulate the laws of physics or something like that.. ? ;)

My current go to cab is from CabIR.eu of the Orange 4x12 with G12H speakers where all 4 speakers were mic'd. I don't think that is very common, but I like it. The pack also has various combinations of which speaker(s) and mic(s) were used.

Most engineers will choose a particular speaker or two in the cab and mic them up. Sometimes with single mics, sometimes with multiple mics on the same speaker...

The whole G12H30 collection from that Orange cabinet are among my go to IR's too.

To be honest, I never made it beyond the "suggested" starting point IRs!

I really should buy Cab Lab and do some mix IRs.

I use the same cab block in all presets which is a stereo UR cab consisting of the Orange and a free Vox IR from forum member @indeloon85. That combo works well for my needs.

Interesting because one of his free IR's is also one of my goto IR's.

I have cab lab and hahev never downloaded it and installed it. I really should if for no other reason than to save some CPU. Currently my two main IR's is the Triptik Obot sessions 1x12 and an AC cab (2x12?) from ML sound labs I ALWAYS do a sm57 and R121 mix in a stereo Stereo UR cab panned center. If I mix it in CL I can save some CPU. Guess I have not done it because Ia m not in need of extra CPU right now lol

Back
Top Bottom