Wish IR Player

voes

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I was surprised to see that the IR Player is not included in the FM3.

It would be a nice tool to save some CPU.

Especially those who have both an Axe-Fx III and FM3. Beside the CPU limit of the FM3, those users could use the Tone match to mix 4 CABs (the FM3 has a limit of 2) into a custom CAB and use this in the IR Player.

I was surprised to see that the IR Player is not included in the FM3.

It would be a nice tool to save some CPU.

Especially those who have both an Axe-Fx III and FM3. Beside the CPU limit of the FM3, those users could use the Tone match to mix 4 CABs (the FM3 has a limit of 2) into a custom CAB and use this in the IR Player.
I would also appreciate this as I use input 2 for my piezo pickup and prefer to use an acoustic IR for that signal. To do this right now I have to run a stereo cab to process both the regular and piezo signals separately and use volume blocks after the cab to separate the left and right channels for separate processing. An IR Player block after Input 2 would be much simpler and maybe use less CPU.

From the Wiki: " On the AX8 and FM3, cabinet modeling runs on an CPU accelerator instead of on the core DSPs, which saves CPU. "

Since it is not running on the core DSP, I'm not sure an IR player would save CPU? It might be useful in spite of that.

Yes... Please!

An option to use two IR players instead of one Cab block? Most of the time I don't need all of the extra stuff that the Cab block has.

Or an option for two mono Cab blocks, that can (hopefully) run on the same CPU accelerator as a single Stereo Cab block?

If you have the Stereo Cab already selected, the two Mono Cabs are grayed out and unavailable. If you have either, or both Mono Cabs already selected, the Stereo Cab is grayed out and unavailable.
dual mono cabs.png

Last edited:
+1

On my Axe-Fx III, I use custom tone-matched IRs to "convert" an electric guitar to different kinds of acoustic sounds, and more of this. I even have a pretty decent Dobro sound with the electric guitar and the IR. With acoustic gigs on small stages I used to make my cheap Yamaha sound more like a Taylor using an according IR. All of these applications would be possible with one single IR Player block on the FM3.
I would be willing to sacrifice a serious amount of CPU ressources for this.

+1

On my Axe-Fx III, I use custom tone-matched IRs to "convert" an electric guitar to different kinds of acoustic sounds, and more of this. I even have a pretty decent Dobro sound with the electric guitar and the IR. With acoustic gigs on small stages I used to make my cheap Yamaha sound more like a Taylor using an according IR. All of these applications would be possible with one single IR Player block on the FM3.
I would be willing to sacrifice a serious amount of CPU ressources for this.
Unless you're using an Amp block at the same time, why not just use the Cab block?

I would also appreciate this as I use input 2 for my piezo pickup and prefer to use an acoustic IR for that signal. To do this right now I have to run a stereo cab to process both the regular and piezo signals separately and use volume blocks after the cab to separate the left and right channels for separate processing. An IR Player block after Input 2 would be much simpler and maybe use less CPU.

+1

This block would be really useful when using acoustic IRs with piezo equipped guitars.

Unless you're using an Amp block at the same time, why not just use the Cab block?

You are right, and this is what I do on the pure acoustic presets. But for the electric sounds I actually need an Amp and a Cab block, so the "Convert-Les-Paul-to-Strat-Sound" kind of application would call for an IR player.

I would love to see this implemented also as I have an interest in electro/acoustic sound design.
I have IR players in my DAW.. but it would be very cool to be able to add an IR as a filter/sound design tool with in the FM3 it's self..

It would also be cool to have the single stereo Cab Block or a choice of loading two mono cab blocks.
Or, have the stereo block be able to treat two cab profiles individually so that the AIR and room tools can be applied to only one of the cab files.
That way I would be able to have a close mic and a distant mic.

+1

Having an IR player block would enable you to use that and a standard amp & cab block in the same patch. When mimicking an acoustic, the IR should be at the beginning of the chain. The different routing today requires different patches which can be problematic with switching times.

It would enable switching between acoustic & electric sounds or even better, blending the two. I've done this with other modelers in the past where the acoustic sound is on a volume pedal and I can blend it in with my electric. It's very effective.

I've become accustomed to using an PEQ after the cab block for the extra flexibility and precision so I could easily make due with a simple IR player with just IR, level, and pan. That should take up less CPU then a full blown cab block. :)

I'd love to see this as well, I could see value in using it for say room correction to a finer degree than global EQ can.

I'd settle for two mono cab blocks too as it would serve the same purpose.

Back
Top Bottom