Wish IR Player

Or an option for two mono Cab blocks, that can (hopefully) run on the same CPU accelerator as a single Stereo Cab block?

If you have the Stereo Cab already selected, the two Mono Cabs are grayed out and unavailable. If you have either, or both Mono Cabs already selected, the Stereo Cab is grayed out and unavailable.
View attachment 70948
This!

Since the FM3 doesn’t include Tone Match, you can easily do it in Logic using the built-in Match EQ and IR Utility plug-in. If you could separate the cab block into two mono blocks (or even have a toggle in the cab block to untether them), you could dial in a tone close to the target, use Logic to do a Match EQ and create an IR to put in series with your original cab.

Last edited:
Can someone please explain what an IR player is and how it would benefit us? How is it different from the Cab block? Thanks.

Can someone please explain what an IR player is and how it would benefit us? How is it different from the Cab block? Thanks.
It's basically a simplified version of the cab block. It could be used for a number of things e.g. non-cab IRs room correction, maybe acoustic sim etc.

I doubt the FM3 has the resources to use it though. I do wish Fractal gave us the choice rather than limiting the blocks available.

The specific reason I wanted it for was to use IRs created from Kemper "imprints" to use with their Kone speaker system for onstage monitoring of the FM3. But as said before it would be useful to say make a piezo output from an acoustic or electric guitar sound more natural. There are a wealth of IRs available to do that, and it isn't terribly difficult to create the IRs yourself. An input acoustic IR would basically do much of the job of a Fishman Aura preamp, and with an output IR block (and the proper IRs) you could do much of the job done in the hardware in the Line 6 Powercab speaker emulations.

Since such a block isn't available in the FM3, you can buy small inexpensive IR loader pedals such as the Nux Mini Studio that can do the job, but if it is not too hard to port it over from the Axe FX III, it would be nice to have it internal to the FM3.

The specific reason I wanted it for was to use IRs created from Kemper "imprints" to use with their Kone speaker system for onstage monitoring of the FM3. But as said before it would be useful to say make a piezo output from an acoustic or electric guitar sound more natural. There are a wealth of IRs available to do that, and it isn't terribly difficult to create the IRs yourself. An input acoustic IR would basically do much of the job of a Fishman Aura preamp, and with an output IR block (and the proper IRs) you could do much of the job done in the hardware in the Line 6 Powercab speaker emulations.

Since such a block isn't available in the FM3, you can buy small inexpensive IR loader pedals such as the Nux Mini Studio that can do the job, but if it is not too hard to port it over from the Axe FX III, it would be nice to have it internal to the FM3.
I’d still be happy to be able to “untether” the two cab slots so that they can be located in different locations on the grid. Or provide some kind of side-chaining control.

I’d still be happy to be able to “untether” the two cab slots so that they can be located in different locations on the grid. Or provide some kind of side-chaining control.
I had a wish for that option too.

But, that can be done (within reason) using the 'Send' and 'Return' blocks and Volume blocks to isolate the left from the right, and some panning.

Example...
MomsOfTheDisappeared FM3 routing.png

I had a wish for that option too.

But, that can be done (within reason) using the 'Send' and 'Return' blocks and Volume blocks to isolate the left from the right, and some panning.

Example...
This is a good technique for multiplexing the hardware i/o too. I've done this going back to the ultra to get more ins and outs. It can get complicated but it works.

You can also just put a mixer in front of the stereo cab block, and pan to either IR slot which is how I run one side with a cab, and the other with an acoustic IR, and cross-faded between phony acoustic and electric.

As I read that the IR block of the AxeFX is a simplified Cab block, I use Cab block to load my Martin D45 IR and I put it just at the beginning of my chain.. but yes, a true IR Player would be great to simulate other guitars for exemple..

228C9FE2-7BE6-43B3-BFCE-CA9714F42EF3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom