Ir ..Null or None

CROSS232

Inspired
I purchased some cab packs and was wondering if i change the mic preference on the cab to null or none to get the best tone since they are modeled with certain mics. I have Ben putting them to none because it didn't make sense to me why i would use a mic Sim on a IR that has already Ben miked. Just was curious on what everyone else is doing. Thanks guys

null is the same as none except it lets you use the proximity setting.

I desagree , NULL is eq added to simulate the proximity effect ...
Mic'ing in different ways and with different Miks only "add eq"
So NULL is not the same as NONE wich is a simulation of a Closed Mic'ed cab .

I agree with the OP ... Tone wise ( that is the only thing really matters ) in line if principle it make no sense to re-eq something made for a "reason"

I desagree , NULL is eq added to simulate the proximity effect ...
Mic'ing in different ways and with different Miks only "add eq"
So NULL is not the same as NONE wich is a simulation of a Closed Mic'ed cab .

I agree with the OP ... Tone wise ( that is the only thing really matters ) in line if principle it make no sense to re-eq something made for a "reason"

Disagree all you like, if the proximity effect is turned all the way down they're the same. I thought it was obvious that that's what I meant.

And if it makes no sense then I take it that you're not changing any of the eq stuff in any of the other blocks as well, right?

IRs act as a kind of EQ. Mic simulation is an IR and therefore an EQ, too.

CROSS232 said:
I have Ben putting them to none because it didn't make sense to me why i would use a mic Sim on a IR that has already Ben miked.
It doesn't matter whether it made sense in a real life situation or not. As long as it sounds good, you're very welcome to use a mic sim or not.

Disagree all you like, if the proximity effect is turned all the way down they're the same. I thought it was obvious that that's what I meant.

And if it makes no sense then I take it that you're not changing any of the eq stuff in any of the other blocks as well, right?

They are NOT exactly the same. Tonewise yes, they SOUND the same (at least I cannot hear a difference), but look at the cpu usage. It's (iirc) 2% lower with NONE compared to NULL. So if you don't want to use proximity, always use NONE. It's as easy as that.

They are NOT exactly the same. Tonewise yes, they SOUND the same (at least I cannot hear a difference), but look at the cpu usage. It's (iirc) 2% lower with NONE compared to NULL. So if you don't want to use proximity, always use NONE. It's as easy as that.

Fair enough. I was referring to sound though.

Thanks guys I appreciate it:encouragement: just was curious what you are supposed to set it at or what y'all was doing

Back
Top Bottom