IR Noob looking for information about IRs.

Questions 2 . I know there are loads of free IRs but I was wondering if anyone can recommend decent manufacturers of hi gain IRs please?
IRs are music-style agnostic, just as cabinets are. They’re basically the information how the cabinet reacts to different frequencies over a short period of time. Audition the factory cabs with your favorite sounding amp with your eyes closed and you’ll be surprised by the ones you like.

Other modelers come with lousy IRs so people scramble to find replacements. Then they switch to Fractal and drag that attitude with them. I have a bunch of packs I bought when I was using Helix, so I have thousands of various cabs, but Fractal’s factory cabs are good enough I almost never use the 3rd party ones. I’ve been very happy with what I’ve found. You do need to have the volume up to hear the differences sometimes. The Fletcher-Munson Effect is always going to affect what you hear.

Question 3. What is the audible different between the HiRes/UltraRes IRs?
In my opinion, in a full band context, none. There’s too much going on to hear the subtleties. In a solo instrument context then you might hear a bit of difference in the openness, I think that’s what I noticed but it’s been a while since I tested it. I think it’s tied to the mix and complexity of the sound, the more going on the less likely you can focus on the difference between the two.

Question 4. When you add pedals the in an out of the back. IE BossPS6, I assume you have to add a block so you can insert it Into the signal chain? If so... What is that block called?
OUT and IN.

See the Block guide and the manual p.37.

Question 5. Less of a question and more a request, which I know has been raised. When a footswitch is off, I'd like the light to be off, when a footswitch is on, I'd like it to be on. There is absolutely no reason for having it 'dim' :) The GE300 was the same too and Mooer seemed to have given up on the updates or even answering emails.
Then adjust them?

There’s great reasons for having them dim… people like them that way, just like some like them all the way off. I find the stock settings work for me when the stage gets dark because I can still see where the switches are, and whether something is assigned to them.

Question 6. Can anyone recommend to me clear plastic buttons to go over the top of the footwitches please.
There are many types and everyone has different tastes in what they want. Search Amazon and Sweetwater.

There’s been discussions about whether they contribute to the switches catching and not registering presses because of the toppers. My FM9 is on a Temple Audio Duo 24, which raised the unit about an inch. I found one night that the switches were catching repeatedly when I pressed them with my heel on the floor and they worked consistently with my foot completely raised and pressing straight down. I had two different types of toppers across my FM3, FM9, FC6 and FC12, and all had the same problem, and removed them all and the switches are registering almost all the time with my foot in either position now. I suspect it’s the added height of the topper plus the board that affects the angle of the switch press.

Question 7. The MooerGE300 has an aux in, which I plug my HuaweiP20 Pro, I have to use a charging cable/aux splitter because the phone doesn't have a traditional aux slot. Does anyone know how I can connect my phone so I can play along to backing tracks?
Use USB adapters from the phone to end up with a USB-B connector, which will fit the FM9. USB channels 1 and 2 route directly to OUT 1 left and right without processing on all the modelers.

See ch. 3 in the manual.

Last edited:
Thanks bud, You guys have been so helpful. All this knowldge is corfirming to me that I am making the right descision and picking the FM9 over the Quad Cortex and Kemper. :)

I doubt there is a best IR for high gain amps, pretty much like dialling in a tone itself, it's whatever sounds best at the time, with your gear.
The usual places have been mentioned.. Ownhammer, York Audio, I've had some from 3 Sigma.

That ML labs 'best IR in the world' IR that was being mentioned a lot a while ago certainly wasn't the best high gain IR that I've used.
I settled on a couple of the Fremen IR's in the end and just use those for all my rock presets.

I think in a lot of cases, the difference between high gain IR's doesn't have as much of an impact as getting the amp parameters dialled in nicely.
That has more effect on the overall tone than a bunch of similar IR's - in my opinion.
i think that certainly the case of lack of dialing plus what my ears hear at the time, might not actually be the best tone for me, which the limited knowldge I have.

Thanks bud, You guys have been so helpful. All this knowldge is corfirming to me that I am making the right descision and picking the FM9 over the Quad Cortex and Kemper. :)
The number one thing with fractal is accuracy.
If you learn the real world amp, and that’s something people have been doing for decades in some instances , then you’ll have all the knowledge of how the Fractal model works.
That’s something I always think the competitors lack and is essential IMO

Back
Top Bottom