IR Noob looking for information about IRs.

MattAlger

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the Amp modelling world. I bought a MooerGE300 last year and it sounds 'average' so I've put my name down for an FM9. And I am doing as much research as I can, before I put buy the beast.

Question 1. Fractal wiki says that it takes .syx files as IR's... Is this over the whole range including the FM9?

Questions 2 . I know there are loads of free IRs but I was wondering if anyone can recommend decent manufacturers of hi gain IRs please?

Question 3. What is the audible different between the HiRes/UltraRes IRs?

Question 4. When you add pedals the in an out of the back. IE BossPS6, I assume you have to add a block so you can insert it Into the signal chain? If so... What is that block called?

Question 5. Less of a question and more a request, which I know has been raised. When a footswitch is off, I'd like the light to be off, when a footswitch is on, I'd like it to be on. There is absolutely no reason for having it 'dim' :) The GE300 was the same too and Mooer seemed to have given up on the updates or even answering emails.

Question 6. Can anyone recommend to me clear plastic buttons to go over the top of the footwitches please.

Question 7. The MooerGE300 has an aux in, which I plug my HuaweiP20 Pro, I have to use a charging cable/aux splitter because the phone doesn't have a traditional aux slot. Does anyone know how I can connect my phone so I can play along to backing tracks?

Many thanks guys for listening, I'm looking forward to getting this in the future. :)

Matt

Whoa, how about breaking this into separate questions?

As is, you are going to cause a very confusing thread and we have enough problems keeping threads on track.

And, just so you know, every question has been asked multiple times and answered, and searches of the forum will reveal all.

As is, you are going to cause a very confusing thread and we have enough problems keeping threads on track.

And, just so you know, every question has been asked multiple times and answered, and searches of the forum will reveal almy apologies

And, just so you know, every question has been asked multiple times and answered, and searches of the forum will reveal all.
My apologies Greg, I went on a bit of a tangent, I'll do some more digging inside these forums, I'm finding it hard to extract this kind of information between all the comments. :)

Question 1. Fractal wiki says that it takes .syx files as IR's... Is this over the whole range including the FM9?
As @ruso said, "yes", but to expand on it a bit…

The current generation of Fractal's modelers stay in lock step as much as possible. The hardware differences and CPU power result in the FM9 and FM3 not being able to do everything the FX3 can do, but it's surprising how much the FM3 does with about 25% of the horsepower.

The presets we create on an FM3 will run without changes on the FM9 and FX3. That's not necessarily true going the other way, again because of the differences. Being able to move presets back and forth means it's easy to load your favorite IRs on each machine and the presets will automatically pick them up… as long as they're in the same slot numbers.

The hardware differences allow only the FX3 to run the largest IRs because of memory and CPU demands, but they're still .syx files. The Editor and Fractal-Bot and Cab-Lab can convert to .syx from other formats IIRC.

As @ruso said, "yes", but to expand on it a bit…

The current generation of Fractal's modelers stay in lock step as much as possible. The hardware differences and CPU power result in the FM9 and FM3 not being able to do everything the FX3 can do, but it's surprising how much the FM3 does with about 25% of the horsepower.

The presets we create on an FM3 will run without changes on the FM9 and FX3. That's not necessarily true going the other way, again because of the differences. Being able to move presets back and forth means it's easy to load your favorite IRs on each machine and the presets will automatically pick them up… as long as they're in the same slot numbers.

The hardware differences allow only the FX3 to run the largest IRs because of memory and CPU demands, but they're still .syx files. The Editor and Fractal-Bot and Cab-Lab can convert to .syx from other formats IIRC.
When you say the largest IRs, you mean the UltraRes yeah?

My apologies Greg, I went on a bit of a tangent, I'll do some more digging inside these forums, I'm finding it hard to extract this kind of information between all the comments. :)
There will be times when, despite all your research, you still have questions. If you keep them down to one or two at a time, you'll get better, more focused answers.

Just like the factory presets are considered real good by most of us, so are the factory IR's so I suggest you start I totally get this. I think my experience using the Mooer GE 300 has ruined it for me and lowered my confidence in Stock Cabs, it sounded so much better when using 3rd party IR's, the stock Cabs where shocking.

Thank you everyone, there is so much information in the manuals and on wiki/this forum, it becomes quite overwhelming trying to extract the information you need. I am always trying to learn how to be a better guiarist and knowledge is key here. :)

Questions 2 . I know there are loads of free IRs but I was wondering if anyone can recommend decent manufacturers of hi gain IRs please?
Matt

Here are two:

One of a Marshall 4x12 that is free:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-best-ir-in-the-world-free.137347/

A small pack of Mesa 2x12 IRs that is only $1:
https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/mes-212-v30-limited

I have both and both are great for high gain stuff.

Just like the factory presets are considered real good by most of us, so are the factory IR's so I suggest you start there.

+1 to the factory IRs.

I've bought a bunch of IRs, but use the factory IRs more often than any others. I had a similar experience to your Mooer GE 300 with an HX Stomp that I use for travel. I wasn't a fan of their cab blocks and was happier after adding some IRs.

Many stock Fractal IRs were actually made by some of the helpful peeps that sell them. Even though I've bought IRs, I mainly use the stock IRs on my AX8 and do not foresee that changing with the FM9.

Are you a moderator? All I see is you giving advise on what and how people post.

Many thanks guys for listening, I'm looking forward to getting this in the future. :)

Matt
https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=382
Heavy Hitters Vol 1
OH 412 MES V30 OH1-05 = my favourite IR that seems good enough for everything and every amp. Heavy and clean…

It’s a Mesa 4x12 with Celestion V30s

I doubt there is a best IR for high gain amps, pretty much like dialling in a tone itself, it's whatever sounds best at the time, with your gear.
The usual places have been mentioned.. Ownhammer, York Audio, I've had some from 3 Sigma.

That ML labs 'best IR in the world' IR that was being mentioned a lot a while ago certainly wasn't the best high gain IR that I've used.
I settled on a couple of the Fremen IR's in the end and just use those for all my rock presets.

I think in a lot of cases, the difference between high gain IR's doesn't have as much of an impact as getting the amp parameters dialled in nicely.
That has more effect on the overall tone than a bunch of similar IR's - in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom