IR length

levipeto

Fractal Fanatic
It may be due to my new headphones, but I can't stand "Max" IR Length It just adds unwanted room noise, that took me a while to track down. I thought I was going crazy, that I hear room reflection when it's not turned on anywhere. I switched the IR to 1024, and yay, there it is! I still can hear and feel it but more pleasant (to me).

I remember we were all asking for longer IRs, but I am not so sure about it anymore.

There was lots of discussion about this a while back - check this thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ir-length.155295/

My bad ears cannot hear the difference between full resolution and 1024, or even 512, so based on that thread I started using lower resolutions in the cab block exclusively in order to save a good chuck of cpu, though many with good ears may do the same to remove some audible reflection from their cab sounds.

Last edited:
There was lots of discussion about this a while back - check this thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ir-length.155295/

My bad ears cannot hear the difference between full resolution and 1024 so based on that thread I started using to 1024 exclusively in order to save a good chuck of cpu.

Thanks for the link!
I was tweaking Pete Plexi preset, turning things off, and analyze them. The CAB has a room turned up, which I turned down to 0% and there still was a reflection, that I had no idea where it came from, but I didn't want. You can clearly hear it on that preset.

Thanks for the link!
I was tweaking Pete Plexi preset, turning things off, and analyze them. The CAB has a room turned up, which I turned down to 0% and there still was a reflection, that I had no idea where it came from, but I didn't want. You can clearly hear it on that preset.

I like to leave the ownhammer IRs at max: somehow their room adds a little bit of mojo and openness that I miss if I reduce it to 1024 or even 512.

With other IRs I felt shortening it to 512 sometimes helped focusing the tone.

I'm on board with a shorter IR for most purposes and as a general rule of thumb for closed back cabinets.

However: Open back cabinets can benefit with a longer IR. While using carefully crafted reverb can work to give a satisfying sense of the sound reflecting around a given room: Something like a Fender Twin can sound just right with a longer IR of an open back cabinet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom