IR Length

I suppose the obstacle here is that the approach requires plotting each IR, to determine the position at which early reflections occur.
One thing I should try is doing an autocorrelation on the IR. That may be a method to automatically find the first reflection. Actually an autocorrelation on the data squared would probably be better as it would remove any inversions (although I think that wall reflections are always in phase).

I would think keeping the reflections would yield a more natural miced cab sound. Which, I thought, was the whole point of modeling.

I would think keeping the reflections would yield a more natural miced cab sound. Which, I thought, was the whole point of modeling.
The problem with that is that you'd need much longer IRs to capture the full reflections, no room decays in 170ms and probably not even in half a second.

S
The problem with that is that you'd need much longer IRs to capture the full reflections, no room decays in 170ms and probably not even in half a second.
So, better to chop the partial reflection and model that part with a Reverb room block?

S

So, better to chop the partial reflection and model that part with a Reverb room block?
Yep, surely more efficient, easier to achieve and gives you more freedom on the room tone (if room is baked into the IR you can't change it afterwards)

Yep, surely more efficient, easier to achieve and gives you more freedom on the room tone (if room is baked into the IR you can't change it afterwards)
That’s one thing I really dug about the UA Ox Box was how the room sound could sound so natural when added to taste.

When we see the freq response of an ir, we are only seeing just 1 moment in time. Wait a split second and all those hills and valleys will be in a slightly different location. So it seems to me that you could just get an averaged freq response, one without any added artifacts, you would be fine. In other words, if you take 5 irs from a cabinate, wouldnt they all be slightly different? It certainly seems that if you strictly want the cab response you wouldnt want room reflections or any distortion from the pure cab. Any speaker system is going to excite a room at the right volume level, why would you want room excitation on top of room excitation. That would take you farther away from an "amp in the room" sound. MHO.
What @FractalAudio said.

Also, a speaker will excite the room at any volume level. You just made a case for reflection-free IRs. :)

Hmm, I played with the length on a number of cabs and presets. For several of them even going down to 1024 took out some low freq "oomf" and unique character of the cabs. Perhaps this is mostly early reflections and I am either used to it or like the character it adds. Going to 512 seemed to make cabs sound more similar. More playing to be done...

Last edited:
For recording that makes sense, for in the room tone that we like to chase removing them may make more sense. Use the same ir and send a truncated version to your monitor and the full length version to the recording?

If simulating the room was what you're going for, then you want to capture all the reflections. Speaker IRs typically aren't long enough to also serve as room reverb.

Just my opinion, but I'd think reflection free IRs would be better for most purposes.

One thing I should try is doing an autocorrelation on the IR. That may be a method to automatically find the first reflection. Actually an autocorrelation on the data squared would probably be better as it would remove any inversions (although I think that wall reflections are always in phase).
If I am following you, are you saying you might write a function to identify early reflections in an IR and then perhaps expose this to users in the Cab Block with a button to automatically trim IRs to remove reflections?

This would be amazing. Do you think you would trim to a granular level of samples (like 503 for example) or would it internally choose one of the existing presets (512/1024 etc) that comes closest?

Looks like matlab plots - you develop your algorithms in that product before porting over to C or something in the hardware?

Interesting discussion and ideas here Cliff, as usual!

Reactions: JTI
+++
Even just seeing the EQ curve of each IR would be amazing! Being able to “visualize”, as well as hear; the IR rabbit hole becomes much more streamlined for any given application. I.E. dark or bright amps, rhythm parts vs lead parts, etc.

I do t know if it’s possible but maybe a more detailed graph like the ones that @FractalAudio was showing earlier in the thread could be added into AxeEdit in the Cab Block. That way we could see in each IR where exactly that first reflection comes in and we can truncate accordingly.

I've been experimenting with IR length lately and keep finding that I like a shorter length. So I gave some thought to it and I think the reason is that a shorter IR trims off the early reflections.
As I stated over at The Argument Gear Page:
with all the craze around farfield/longer impulses I have honestly been trying my hardest to like them but secretly inside -they just do nothing for me. Thought there might be something wrong with me (ok, ok, I know - there's plenty else wrong w me). I'm admittedly a bit relieved to hear someone suggest it's ok not to like them. Still not going to admit that on the gear page!

They would all be identical. If they are not you are doing something very wrong.
But even if they are, its still just a moment in time captured and presented as an eq curve. If you wait a split secound to sample or move the mic even slightly, you get a different curve. It seems to me that a more acurate curve would be some degree of averaging. Who hasn't run an eq after or even in parallel to a cab block. Im agreeing with you in terms of artifacts in the ir. I don't think i want them. I am further stating that a given ir for a cabinet may be better or worse than another one specifically because they are such specific and narrow slices of the eq curve. What would happen if you took a curve and smoothed to 1/3 octave or more? Warning...just thinking out loud here.

What @FractalAudio said.

Also, a speaker will excite the room at any volume level. You just made a case for reflection-free IRs. :)
Yes i did. Im also saying, or humbly suggesting actually, that we dont need all that detail in an ir. That detail does give an ir its specif sound, and there is a place for that. But i am wondering if you would get a better basic ir by averaging out some of that detail.

Hmm, I played with the length on a number of cabs and presets. For several of them even going down to 1024 took out some low freq "oomf" and unique character of the cabs. Perhaps this is mostly early reflections and I am either used to it or like the character it adds. Going to 512 seemed to make cabs sound more similar. More playing to be done...
Why should there be a thousand different unique irs for a particular cab? Couldn't there be a specific eq curve that represents a particular cab? For example a specific speaker has a specific eq curve. Things can alter it like mic position, room, ect. It seems that we would want all of that out of the equation so that we could ad room, mic, ect, as we desire. Isnt that the ultimate goal?

Im also saying, or humbly suggesting actually, that we dont need all that detail in an ir. That detail does give an ir its specif sound, and there is a place for that. But i am wondering if you would get a better basic ir by averaging out some of that detail.
That's what the Smoothing parameter is for. ;)

And I'm saying that SOMETIMES shorter is better. It depends on the environment they were captured in.
Considering the size of most studios and the resulting reflection timing, are there any examples of close-mic’ed IRs in the Fractal library that you’d still consider using in ultrares?

It’s cool to consider that shortened IRs of close mic’ed cabs can achieve better tones than the real deal.

Last edited:
But even if they are, its still just a moment in time captured and presented as an eq curve.
Here's the cool thing, though: If you have an accurate impulse response, you can recreate the EQ curve precisely. Likewise, if you have an accurate frequency response, you can recreate an accurate impulse response.

If you wait a split secound to sample or move the mic even slightly, you get a different curve.
If you wait a split second before sampling the response, you're ignoring part of the response. That's why you don't do that. :)

And if you move the mic, then yes, you get a different curve. Just like in real life.

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
Back
Top Bottom