Ir capturing tips?

Sturla

Inspired
I’m fascinated with the ir capture feature in the axefx, and how easy it was to hook things up and get started.

But are there any beginner tips to get ok results, obvious mistakes to avoid etc.?

Surrounding the cab and mic with sound-absorptive materials helps get rid of unwanted room reflections if you are not shooting them in a huge space where the reflections are really weak by the time they get back. I use a room eliminator for close-mic'ed stuff, which seems to help.

20191124_135505.jpg

20191124_135533.jpg

Generally, if you look at the speaker as if it were a paper target, the tone gets brighter as the mic gets closer to the bullseye, and darjer as you move away from center. Pulling it back also changes the tone, reducing bass a bit due to lessened 'proximity effect'.

target.jpeg

Can't wait to get the special cable Cliff mentioned was in development, so I can shoot impedance curves as well. I have a couple favorite speakers (Weber P12NT and Grey Wolf, both AlNiCo) which are not available as commercial IRs that I have shot, but I have to guess at an impedance curve that will sound best with them.

Last edited:
I know the Axe FX uses the Sweep method mainly for recording IRs, but have you guys tried out and compared it with sending a burst of pink/white noise? i have noticed that using this instead of a sweep allows me to capture IRs in the digital domain with much better results as well, if one were interested in doing such things!

Back
Top Bottom