IR capture volume?

fredster

Inspired
Hey folks,

When you capture cabs, how loud are you running the test signal? I don't normally play very loud, so the few caps I did were at home volume versus gig volume. Tried some loud ones too, and they both sound ok, but is there a recommendation for IR capture volume?

The capture volume is determined at the input 2 of the Axe. This is where the signal from your mic preamp is routed to.

The LEDs on the front indicate the level at that input. The red lights should light up no longer than maybe shortly once a sweep is sent.

I get this by turning up each the input 2 and the mic preamp to about 75% while the cab gives out a signal in relatively loud "room volume", meaning, your direct neighbours will probably hear it slightly but it doesn't really let the room shake.

IMO...
It depends on what you want to accomplish. When I create IRs, I will setup a mic, and capture some playing, review the recording, and when something piques my interest, I repatch for an IR capture and record a few sweeps. I set things so as to have the levels as close to one another as possible. Sometimes I will increase the power amp level a little for some tonal variation.

Levels will provide difference, and for different reasons. Mic technique, cab placement, recording environment, etc are all vital contributors as well. For a basic, close-mic capture, just keep it loud enough to stay above the noise floor (very, very simplified suggestion).

If the question is how loud soundpressure the speakers should be subject to ,I think lower levels are better (not shure) . I think that if the speakers distort in any way it is going to fuck up the quality of the IR. I also have a theory that modulation caused by speaker cone moving closer/further to the mic (doppler) will increase with higher soundpressures.
I read somewhere to beware of modulation issues.

There fore , my guess is . Run it pretty low and turn up the mic preamp gain a little more.

I can´t hurt trying anyway.

It doesn't matter as long as you get good SNR. The technique used in the Axe-Fx II removes any distortion from the measurement.

Thanks for the replies folks - I was hoping I didn't need a lot of volume, sounds like I'm good to go at reasonable levels. :)

Back
Top Bottom