IR capture: setup / levels?

edo

Power User
Vendor
I've been capturing ir's for a few years, but considering the discontinuous results (some sound great, some sound ok, some are terrible), I guess it all depends on the setup and levels. If anybody with some experience could answer these questions to clarify once and for all, I'd really appreciate (btw I use the mic + di method and I'm trying to capture the ir's of a couple combos with no fx loop, so the setup is the one described in the ir capture guide, using a jettenuator between the combo power amp and speaker with the line out going into the axe, and a mic going into a motu 828 mk2 as preamp back into axe fx).

1) how should I set the amp? Should I set it the way I like how it sounds (edge of breakup, eq etc) or flat (clean, no eq etc)? We're talking about tube amps of course, so if set too low they just don't have balls.

2) Mic preamp connected to input2 L should "tickle the red", what about the line out coming from the power amp into input2 R? Should that one tickle the red too?

3) Should I use unbalanced or balanced cables from mic pre and di into the axe? Does it make any difference at all?

4) Is proximity captured within the IR?

5) Is there a difference if I set the amp quiter and the mic preamp hotter or viceversa? What's the better option?

Thats about it I think.
Thanks in advance

When it comes to volumes of your rig, i would set it to where you usually have it, your sweet spot, then i usually send test tones through the rig and adjust the volume the mic picks it all up, making sure that nothing peaks, and then i capture!

Back
Top Bottom