IR Capture of Power Amp

DFauvre

Inspired
I've spent years developing custom presets in my Fractal devices.

I've found that running the Fractal's output into a high end tube power amp and running the power amp into a load box to convert the signal to line out provides the special sauce to the Fractal Presets making them sound even more realistic to a real tube guitar amp head. It brings the preset alive.

My question is how to best capture the IR of the power amp.

Here's the challenge.

Optimally, I want to be able to just capture the power amp's effect on the output of a fractal preset, without the preset, so that the IR capture can be applied to any Fractal preset.

1. The power amp comes after the Fractal.
So if I capture a guitar just going through the power amp it's not likely to have the same sonic improvement as when the power amp comes after the Fractal in the chain.

2. The second challenge is if I capture it after the guitar has passed through the power amp, I'm also forced to capture the amp and speaker cabinet in that particular preset which I don't want to do as then I would have to do an IR capture of every custom preset I've created with the power amp. Does that make sense?

Suggestions on how to best do this?

IR's are linear. They will not capture any dynamic compression and/or breakup characteristics of the power amp, only linear EQ filtering.

Back
Top Bottom