IR Capture and technique question

Randall d

Experienced
I have never been completely happy with any of the IR's I have tried. I have tended towards 2-12 cabs because the 4-12's all sound too "distant" to me. So I decided to capture my own cab. I have tried a lot of Celestion speakers (in real life) and this one is the one I like the best.

I also decided to do a couple captures using a second mic on the cab itself to mix in some cab resonance like they typically do in the studio when mic'ing a cab. My question is: why don't more IR's do this?

Anyway, I am very happy with the results and wanted to post the IR here for others to try and give me feedback. A is without the cab mic and D is with.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• Guytron 12 D.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Guytron 12 A.syx
After some experimenting with mic position I made what I consider to be a better one (attached).

Attachments

• Guytron 12 G.syx
Yes, on the side of the cabinet. But I ended up in the last one pointing the mic right at the speaker baffle board to get more low end. I like that one because that is the way we hear a speaker right? We hear the speaker and the baffle board resonating. If I would have had more time I would have shot IR's with different mixes of the speaker with the baffle board, but I only had time for a couple and the one I ended up with has them about evenly mixed to get better bass response. I have no idea what I am doing really, but I like what I got. It just takes a little tweaking of EQ in the amp block (Depth, Dynamic Depth, Speaker response curve (Amp block, speaker tab) on the bass end (I widened up the Q to 1 and adjusted the resonance to taste)).

I think he means literally the cabinet, not the speaker.

I've never heard of anyone doing that... But I'm not a studio pro, either.
I've only heard of miking the back of the cabinet but that's super rare and it's not touching the cab.. and more of an open back thing right?

What ever gives you the results you're after, that's what you should do really. I remember shooting IR's of the 1960s AC30 for Cab Pack 18 and those have that wooden block that goes across right in the middle of the speaker. At least one of those 57 mic positions is literally shooting an IR where the mic is right up against that wood leaning to it. It just sounded really good so I left it in the pack. :)

Usually the main thing I aim for is getting as little low end as I can possibly get with the high end being as smooth as it possibly can be so I might not do result to ways of adding bass to IR's but it's like I said, if it gives you great results go for it!

No, it was not touching the cab. It is an open-back cab so I mic'ed the side of the cab towards the back of the edge. Trying to approximate what you were talking about when mic'ing the back of a closed-back 4-12 (typically). That is the one labeled D. The IR labeled A was just the mic on the speaker itself and it doesn't have a lot of lows in it. But it sounds pretty good aside from that. I was just trying to get some lows into the IR so a ton of it didn't have to added in the preset. The one labeled G is the one that includes a mic pointing at the front of the speaker baffle board beside the speaker.

Tried this when creating some IR's last summer, We literally had kick mics placed behind the cabinet, that we blended with spot mics and room mics, the end result was very pleasing and the client even decided to replace his actual cab it with a mooer pedal live on stage. Think he even used it on their upcoming album too!

Back
Top Bottom