IR capture and mics

REDD

Fractal Fanatic
I was wondering if large diaphragm condenser mics are good to shoot Ir's with. I've always used my live stage mics in the past but I am buying an Aston Spirit mic for my small studio and wondered how it might be on Ir's.
It has omni/ cardioid and figure -8 so I think it would be a versatile mic to have. anyone use one of these mics?

It really depends on the cab. We always use AKG C414, sE4400a2 and a Neuman U87ai, additionally to our dynamic mic collection, when shooting IRs. Though I'm more the "dynamic" guy, those condensers can really add a fine note to the sound.
Especially the U87ai and the AKG C414 have surprised me a lot.

It really depends on the cab. We always use AKG C414, sE4400a2 and a Neuman U87ai, additionally to our dynamic mic collection, when shooting IRs. Though I'm more the "dynamic" guy, those condensers can really add a fine note to the sound.
Especially the U87ai and the AKG C414 have surprised me a lot.
I swear by the Neumann u89, David Bock Soundelux u97, Avantone CV-12, and the AKG 414 xls for ir capture of some cabs. Large diaphragm condensers are another color in the palette. Small diaphragm condensers also give their own flavors to ir capture.

I'm sure you'll be able to capture some nice IR's with the Aston Spirit.
I have the Aston Origin, it's a great LDC mic. IR's sound good and are very useful to have in my palette, both alone and mixed with other mics.
Per

Shot Ir's today with the Aston Spirit and got some really good results. noticed the best position was on the bottom right speaker mic'd on the inside edge. shooting more tomorrow. It is addictive.

Back
Top Bottom