IR beginner questions

Are there any IRs shot in a forest? With or without snow. You know, black metal style.

If not, what would I need to make this happen? I've never shot an IR before.
It seems difficult. Maybe a generator, AxeFx, power amp, cab, mic, mic preamp, computer, etc.

Is there a way to capture the "reverb" of an area without a cab and so much equiptment? So that the "reverb" IR can be added onto any other normal IR?

I'm willing to pay for some if this already exists. Thanks.

Doing this in a forest definitely requires a lot of gear. You would likely need a cab or at least a powered loudspeaker to play the tone and then one (or more) mics to pick that up at various places among the trees.

Maybe a few different captures like "forest floor" - reverberations from some rotted pine needles
"frigid chill" - the sound of icy snow
"bark metal" - reflections from the most metal of trees deep in the forest
"mossy bog" - capture the sound of the inside of a hollow log with moss and insects in it

I think you're on the right track though, you should go through with this and document the results.

Similarly, whether or not you like Glenn Fricker he's got some ridiculous content including capturing an IR from nuclear reactor. I'm a fan and hey, he's Canadian too.

I'll leave this here.....

Are there any IRs shot in a forest? With or without snow. You know, black metal style.

If not, what would I need to make this happen? I've never shot an IR before.
It seems difficult. Maybe a generator, AxeFx, power amp, cab, mic, mic preamp, computer, etc.

Is there a way to capture the "reverb" of an area without a cab and so much equiptment? So that the "reverb" IR can be added onto any other normal IR?

I'm willing to pay for some if this already exists. Thanks.

Yes, those kinds of IR's exist and are even common. But, no, you can't do it in an Axe-FX. You'll find more info here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-scrub-burned-apocalypse.184963/#post-2280290

Last edited:
Most regular cab IRs are too short to capture the long decay of larger acoustic spaces. UltraRes IRs are 170 ms and Normal Res IRs are 20 ms. You'd need to use FullRes IRs (Axe III only) for up to 1.33 seconds of decay.

Back
Top Bottom