ipod backing track?

mgavin

Experienced
Is it possible to play over a backing track on my iPod while listening through the headphone jack/? I plug my guitar into the front input jack.

I tried recording the input on a loop but it was barely audible and only lasted like 10 secs...

I have a light set up right now… Thanks in advance

Use an 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono L/R cable and plug the iPod into input 2 L / R.

Amazon.com: Hosa CMP153 Y Cable 1/8 Inch TRS to Dual 1/4 Inch TS Cable - 3 Foot: Musical Instruments

Put the FX Loop block into the preset to bring the iPod signal in (takes its return from input 2) and it will show up at the outputs and headphones.

AxeFxIIFXLoopaudioin_zps13e2204b.jpg

Great idea, saves me the trouble of mixing my AXE output with my iPhone through my small Behringer mixer.

I even already have the exact Hosa Cable you suggested!

Will this allow me to play along with a song from my Ipod? Can I mix the level of the ipod with my guitar? Been wanting to play along with tracks thru my RCF monitor but cannot figure out how. This seems like it will work.

Will this allow me to play along with a song from my Ipod? Can I mix the level of the ipod with my guitar? Been wanting to play along with tracks thru my RCF monitor but cannot figure out how. This seems like it will work.

The I/O -> Input and I/O -> Audio pages have some control over input 2, i.e. the iPod level coming into the FX Loop block. And also the volume control on the iPod will determine the overall volume too.

I would recommend maxing out the iPod volume control and making sure it doesn't clip in the AxeFx. Get the I/O -> Input -> Input 2 setting going this way.

Then back off the iPod volume control to about midway.

Follow the FX Loop with a volume block. Use the volume block to set the mix of the iPod track with your guitar. Alternately, just use the output mixer and no volume block.

Live, you could assign an external to the volume block level and use a pedal to control the mix.

Or just use the volume control of the iPod to make on-the-fly tweaks to the mix. Because you left enough headroom to max out the iPod (see above) without clipping, you should be able to boost or cut the backing track on-the-fly with no worries.

Is this the ideal setup when playing iTunes directly from a MacBook Pro?

Is this the ideal setup when playing iTunes directly from a MacBook Pro that is also running Axe Edit?

Can you double up iTunes audio playback through the USB cable that is also running Axe Edit simultaneously?

Is this the ideal setup when playing iTunes directly from a MacBook Pro?

Is this the ideal setup when playing iTunes directly from a MacBook Pro that is also running Axe Edit?

Can you double up iTunes audio playback through the USB cable that is also running Axe Edit simultaneously?

I would say no. I would take the tune from iTunes and transfer it to Garageband which will help you adjust the mix better. This way you can really tweak the volume of the track and mix in your guitar track a little more evenly. That's what I do with youtube backing tracks. I transfer them to MP3 format and then plug them into Garageband so I can mix and record if I want. You won't be able to mix the individual tracks on the mp3, but only the mp3 with respect to the guitar.

Cool! So I guess that would be the same setup and process for backing tracks from David Wallimann and Tru-Fire?

David is a humbelievably insightful and gifted teacher who I had the pleasure of playing/studying with at Dweezilla 2013.

I think I just found a good use for that tiny iPod Shuffle that I got for Christmas!

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Chizzy

Back
Top Bottom