iPhoto picture issues

gigawatt

Experienced
Ok so I found out I could copy a picture in iPhoto, and paste it into "Pictures" so I can use "Preview" to resize the image. It worked at first, but I needed to do some "resizing" and now I get a message saying I don't have permission. So I did like the prompt said and went to File>Get Info and changed on the bottom Read and Write, didn't work. So I googled it, got all kinds of unneeded info and still couldn't get it to work. The only thing I could see was that .jpg was .JPG, caps. So I changed that, din't to the trick. Anyone know what's going on? Benn at this all morning! :mad: Thanks...

What, exactly, are you trying to do? Resize a photo and post it on the forum?

No, well sort of no. but, I don't know.
<<<=== Look at my avatar! That is effed up! :cry: Yes trying to resize a photo. Can't figure out how to do it in iPhoto, so I thought I could move an iPhoto photo to a "Pictures" file, and edit (resize) with "Preview."

For quick image work like resizing, redactions, etc. I recommend Skitch. You can use it without an Evernote account.

Finder, when you're opening a file, will show you your photos if you click on the Photos option in the side bar:

Screen_Shot_2018-06-29_at_11_33_00_AM.png

So open Skitch, Cmd-O to open a file, scroll down to Photos and then find the photo. Once you've edited it in Skitch grab the icon at the bottom of the window and drag it on to your desktop and Skitch will deposit and edited photo right on your Desktop and you can upload that to the forum, etc.:

Screen_Shot_2018-06-29_at_11_35_11_AM.png

I just drag the photo from iPhoto/Photos to my desktop, which makes a copy there. Double click the desktop file to open it in Preview. Go to the Tools menu, resize. Then I make sure the size drop down is in pixels and just type in the width I want. Hit done, then save (cmd+s), then close it. Done. I usually go 1000 pixels wide at most for forum stuff.

@chris 1000 pixels even for avatar photos? Edit: I tried it and after a few minutes got this message:

The file "IMG_2187.JPG couldn't be opened because you don't have permission to view it.

And under that it says:

To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File > Get Info.

I've been through this about a dozen times and tried everything I can think of but I just can't seem to transfer any picture I've taken with my phone in iPhoto anywhere else. Like I said it worked the first couple of times but now this s**t keeps happening. Thanks for the idea though, I didn't know I could drag them to my desktop :).

Last edited:
Well it looks like now I can't open any pictures in "Preview." I get this message every time:

The file “KH Purple Sparkle 602.jpg” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it.

And below it this:

To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose File > Get Info.

I tried that "Get Info" thing, enabled everyone and everything and still nothing works, keep getting the same message.

Well it looks like now I can't open any pictures in "Preview." I get this message every time:

The file “KH Purple Sparkle 602.jpg” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it.

And below it this:

I tried that "Get Info" thing, enabled everyone and everything and still nothing works, keep getting the same message.
Something is wrong then since Preview is the way to open picture files by default. Where did that image come from?

Something is wrong then since Preview is the way to open picture files by default. Where did that image come from?

That one is from Google images but I have the same issue with pictures I have taken from my own phone that are stored in "Pictures."

My point was that since it seems to be a "permissions" issue I was suggesting logging out and back in. When your battery went dead and you were able to turn it back on, if it required your password to get back in, then that would accomplish what I was suggesting.

Permissions has to do with account levels. For example at a Guest level, you may not have permission to write or alter files. But an Admin level account may have permission to do anything. Along the same lines, if you're logged into some other account other that what you normally use, that could potentially cause the issue.

I got Preview to work!!! :):) What I did was when I open the laptop lid it always asks for MY password with my name already above it. So I clicked the change user button and the Mac shutdown and restarted. There was a slightly different screen fro the login but there was still my name, but no way to switch users so I typed in my usual password. It logged me in and the rest is history, I tried opening a couple of pictures (guitars of course, 1 from the web, 1 from my iPhone's camera), it worked! Uggh, I thought it was going to be more complicated.

Thanks very much; @iaresee @Narzugon @chris for all you help and ideas, I don't think I could have done it without you guys! :D

Back
Top Bottom