Iphone to Galaxy s4

I've owned phones from every company at one time or another, right now I'm using an IPhone and to be honest, they all are the same. Why? Because I unlock/jailbreak and then do whatever I want to all of them. The only phone I hated was the blackberry because its wireless raidio interfered with everything tick tick tick tick beep tick tick ...........

Some Android phone manufacturers (don't know about Samsung) have been known to pre-apply EQ to your music to make it sound "better", with no option to turn it off. By that I mean there's still some EQ even if it is turned off in the UI.

From what i can tell from iFixit teardowns, iPhone uses Cirrus Logic codecs for audio (same company that makes Axe FX ADC/DACs) while Samsung uses a Qualcomm chip for audio. That's not to say that it's worse (or better), I was just pointing out that it is conceivable that what you're hearing are nonlinearities of a given codec, rather than it being measurably "better" in terms of reproducing the recording.
It’s pretty apparent to me that you are way more in touch with this stuff than I am, and am glad you posted it explains things a bit. The differences are minor, whether it be, pre applied EQ , different chips, or codecs, but there.
And on another plus note at least I’m not hallucinating! :lol
John

*Waves his WP8 Lumia flag and walks out*

Seriously, though - we're lucky to have all these options. There's a ton of great tech coming from every which way. I'm officially a WP8 guy and would have trouble switching back to Android or iOS, but those are still great environments. WP8 has its shortcomings, of course, but so does the competition.

Brett

*Waves his WP8 Lumia flag and walks out*

Seriously, though - we're lucky to have all these options. There's a ton of great tech coming from every which way. I'm officially a WP8 guy and would have trouble switching back to Android or iOS, but those are still great environments. WP8 has its shortcomings, of course, but so does the competition.

Brett

That's what I'd be using if iPhone didn't exist. I don't like to waste time tweaking things, I do this at work all day, I want my non-work life to be as simple as possible. Just give me something that works well out of the box, and take my money.

I'm from Finland (like Nokia) and don't trust Nokia. My friend bought the Lumia 980(?) and I honestly got it stuck within a minute of trying to order cinema tickets with the browser.

However Nokia has the best camera on market ATM and it once used to be the greatest mobile phone manufacturer.

Sad fact is that Lumia has sold 20 million... which is the same amount the S4 has sold in two weeks.

I'm from Finland (like Nokia) and don't trust Nokia. My friend bought the Lumia 980(?) and I honestly got it stuck within a minute of trying to order cinema tickets with the browser.

Eeee! I am debating between Android or Win8 phone (apple is not on my equations). Was that a problem of Win8, or a problem of the Lumia?

One thing to keep in mind for Apple 4, 4s users considering making the switch: There is a pretty significant performance improvement between the iPhone 4s and the iPhone 5. You really want to compare the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4. I know quite a few people that made the switch from their iPhone 4 or 4gs without even trying the iPhone 5. Some are happy with the S4, some regret not getting the iPhone. I personally have an iPhone 5. Before that I had a iPhone 3gs. I am not the type of person that needs a new phone every year, so I will not upgrade this phone until iPhone 7 or 8 (or another brand if it is a lot better). I think the new Galaxy phone looks really cool and has some really neat features, but so does the iPhone. The discussion here has been great, but I've seen some threads get really ugly on this topic. Honestly, I've never really understood why people get so "passionate" over which phone other people have. :)

Im on a rooted S4 running the Wicked_V4 ROM and have Ktweaker on it as well.
With my clock settings (Ktoonz settings), I am getting 30+ hours per charge and
I am a heavy user and put about 6+ hours of talk time a day on it. Stream the
Texas Rangers games to my bluetooth headset and various social networking
throughout the day. Bottom line, S4 is a beast if you know how to get to the POWER!

Also, do not let Google automatically access your location, it will save you a ton of battery.
Check out the XDA forums for more knowledge and use Google to look up the acronyms. :p

Verizon already did a year or two ago. To date I have received these once, before there was supposed to be a snow blizzard in our area. I say "supposed to be" because there never was any snow blizzard, and this alert woke me up at 2AM. I see how this could be useful in areas prone to hurricanes, wildfires or floods/tsunamis, however, so I think it's a good capability to have, even though I don't like Obama much.
FYI: The Warning, Alert, and Response Network Act (WARN Act) was passed by the U.S. Congress and signed into law by President George W. Bush in October 2006. The WARN Act requires all cell phone companies to send WEA and Presidential messages. No, I'm not "blaming Bush" like a lot of Obama supporters like to do, just pointing out that this has been around for a while.
I read the article posted by the OP, and if ignore the big brother comments and negativity toward the President (in the article), I agree that this service is bad not all. Amber alerts, severe weather alerts, and Presidential alerts - which would include major catastrophes, national security warnings, etc. all seem like useful information - certainly not something that would upset me if I received them on my phone.

Last edited:
My issue is every review talks about size difference and megapixels. Who cares? I wanna know how well the reception is comparatively. Wanna know how to get imatch and photo stream like things on S4. Wanna know how fast the shutter speed of camera is compared. I have small kids and mega pixels can suck it if the photo is blurry due to lag time.

Yeah that's the thing. People only talk about megapixels when they talk about cameras. That's like talking about guitar amps and only comparing them by how many watts they have. It's irrelevant. And too much megapixels adds noise so it actually makes the camera worse.

I have no info about the cameras but I've A/B/C'd iPhone 4S/Samsung Note 2/Nokia PureView (?) and they're all really good. Good enough that I don't take my DSLR with me sometimes. (Canon Rebel T3i)

Samsung camera is fastest. iPhone has best optics. Nokia is the best overall... but other than that I don't like the Nokia phone.

So target had the s4 on sale for$149. They also had$25 off If you traded in any phone. So I bought a$5 prepaid phone and saved an additional 20.

So far I like it. Not as smoothe as the iPhone, but it has so much to offer. I have 14 days to try out and get a full refund with no restock fee. I will see if I like shortly.

Initially its kinda scary because it's so new and foreign to me. I will keep you all posted

Last edited:
Returned it. Waiting for iPhone 5s. Couldn't handle the differences.

Things I missed about Iphone:

-smaller screen
-easy to use(partly because use to it...I know the easy mode on S4, but that to me, kills what phone is about).
-1 button(the S4 has 2 heptic buttons that I was always hitting on accident).
-Iphone quicker to get to camera and shoot(yes I set the S4 camera to lock screen...no comparison).
-Iphone has built in voicemail(Android you pay $2.99 a month and it isn't integrated into the main phone app)
-Speaker on Iphone is on bottom end(S4 was on back and covered up the sound when phone is screen up).
-IOS is just smoother
-Imatch and photstream is easy with my mac and just works(never understood the hate for itunes...it is clean and simple).
-Iphone has zero lag and the S4 just felt inferior

I really wanted to like the S4. The screen is gorgeous and the bells and whistles are amazing. End of the day I just think its too many options and takes away from my tasks at hand instead of making them easier like the iphone. Again...Iphone not better, just better for me. I'm heavily invested in everything apple with imac, apple tv, ipad, and ipods. It was fun to try S4 and Android again for a day, but not on same level as Apple for integration ease.

"Just when I thought I got out, theu puuuulll me back in." I've bona fide tried Android a couple of times now, and I have an Android tablet (which I don't use much because I have an iPad as well). After using iOS for so many years I just can't ignore the flaws. v1 of iOS was already smoother and more polished than Android 4.3, and it came out in 2007!

We have eveything Apple has to offer. But I will probably get a Samsung tablet with that pen. That is a nice feature to write with!

Back
Top Bottom