iphone buying info (buy used from fleebay?)

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
Well I think it is finally time. I have been milking my 6s for as long as possible.

Anyway, looking at an 11 pro. Probably get one for the wife also so looking at two phones

What can you guys tell me about unlocked vs locked? I don't even really know what that means.

Also anyone have any experience buying a used phone?

Other thoughts appreciated also

I'm on Verizon

Thanks!

Hi @Tahoebrian5

'Locked' phones can only be used on the one network provider. For example if my phone is 'Locked' to Telstra, I can only enable it using Telstra as my network provider. Unlocked phones can be enabled on any network.
https://www.cnet.com/news/unlocked-...ence between a,code that unlocks the software.

Thanks
Pauly

Well I think it is finally time. I have been milking my 6s for as long as possible.

Anyway, looking at an 11 pro. Probably get one for the wife also so looking at two phones

What can you guys tell me about unlocked vs locked? I don't even really know what that means.

I'm on Verizon

Thanks!

I'm on Verizon

Thanks!
I'm also on Verizon & got an unlocked 11 pro. All I had to do was put the sim card from my old phone ( SE which is a small 6s) into the 11 pro & I was off & running.

I'm also on Verizon & got an unlocked 11 pro. All I had to do was put the sim card from my old phone ( SE which is a small 6s) into the 11 pro & I was off & running.
That's what I was just going to ask... sounds easy enough.

The other consideration is paying up front vs the $40 per month for two years...

That's what I was just going to ask... sounds easy enough.

The other consideration is paying up front vs the $40 per month for two years...
The only other step was restoring the phone with my last SE backup with iTunes. That was also very easy. Budda has a good point with the reburbs from Apple. They come with the same warranty as a new phone & are eligible for Applecare if you want. I got my MacBook Pro as a refurb from Apple & I could not tell it at all form new.
If you buy on eBay, try & find one that has Applecare remaining. It is fully transferable to the new owner.

Locked can be two things as well. One being only works on one provider and the other that someone didn't pay their contact in full for a purchase contract and the carrier has locked/blacklisted the EMIE. At which point the phone is a paper weight. Far as buying from *bay thats a bit too risky for me. Id rather see the device in person and and test it first. Who knows what hack shop or the person them selves have replaced the screen and jacked it up. Screen scratches, case rash so on so forth. There are also finance options available for iPhone 11 from Apple directly. Citizen One does a 24 month purchase plan through AT&T not sure if they do other carriers as well. The phone is locked to that carrier until paid in full at which time you can unlock it an move where you want. The Citizen one thing is done right through apple using the Apple store app on IOS to take care of the whole process. I bought the 12 pro with the 24 month no interest Citizen One loan on AT&T which I've been on for years rather than do AT&T's Next program which has turned into a real shit show.

There is another Citizen One option through Apple as well where you finance for 24 moths no interest with AppleCare added to the price, gives you the option to upgrade by turning in the phone at 12 months for a newer model. One of the reasons I ditched AT$T's NEXT program is they changed the length to 30 month upgradable at 15 month plus they charge an extra $5.00 a month to be on the plan.

Unlocking a phone from the a carrier using their tool is absolutely fine and should produce no issue at all. Now going to some iFixyour crap store and trying to do it illegally well thats a whole new world of hurt. Carriers will lock and blacklist the IMEI of a phone if the contract wasn't met and paid in full. When buying used there are free IMEI searches on the internet you can check to see if the phone is blacklisted locked or unlocked.

Example I made my final payment on my iPhone XS on ATT last month. Two weeks later I followed their website instructions and requested an unlock. Today I wiped the phone and connected it to my Mac at witch point the first thing that popped up on the screen was a message that the phone is unlocked.

Back
Top Bottom