Iphone 7 Killing the Headphone Jack

One of my band mates who is a total Mac guy, broke his iPhone 6. This week...but has not replaced it because he won't buy the iPhone 7 due to the lack if headphone jack,

Real life customer impact.....it just happened.
can't he just get another 6? probably for cheaper too. seems he didn't like or want the iPhone 7 regardless if he broke his current phone or not. *shrugs*

the headphone jack is an OUTPUT, a source, just like microphones and guitars which have been wireless for a long time now. mixers are the receivers, so i don't think those are the same at all.
The mixer is the primary device....wireless mic is a peripheral device.
iPhone is the primary device, headphone is a peripheral device.
The primary device should always have the most connectivity capabilities.

In 6 months if iPhone 7 sales beat the iPhone 6/s.....please feel free to say "I told you so".

can't he just get another 6? probably for cheaper too. seems he didn't like or want the iPhone 7 regardless if he broke his current phone or not. *shrugs*
Correct....he does not like the 7 due to the lack of jack.
But as most people do, when your shelling out $ for a new phone, you want the latest and greatest. In this case, you can't get the latest and greatest apple tech if you're unwilling to live without a headphone jack.
Right or wrong....it's going to push some customers away.

The mixer is the primary device....wireless mic is a peripheral device.
iPhone is the primary device, headphone is a peripheral device.
The primary device should always have the most connectivity capabilities.

In 6 months if iPhone 7 sales beat the iPhone 6/s.....please feel free to say "I told you so".
i really don't care to be right or have to say told you so. it means nothing to me if Apple sales are good or bad. i'm just commenting on the state of technology, and that a major player in consumer music removed a connector that has been there since forever.

i'm not sure i agree about having the most connectivity capabilities. why don't phones have a CD/DVD player in them anymore? many people still use that form of media. the easy response would be "headphone jacks are small enough to leave in, vs a cd tray which is of course too big." but then why don't many computers come with CD players anymore? Apple and others took that out of many computers, and people cried doom. but that hasn't affected sales of those types of computers i believe.

Right or wrong....it's going to push some customers away.
well of course :) that's why this discussion is here in the first place because it's a major change, which most would initially not agree with.

i really don't care to be right or have to say told you so. it means nothing to me if Apple sales are good or bad. i'm just commenting on the state of technology, and that a major player in consumer music removed a connector that has been there since forever.

i'm not sure i agree about having the most connectivity capabilities. why don't phones have a CD/DVD player in them anymore? many people still use that form of media. the easy response would be "headphone jacks are small enough to leave in, vs a cd tray which is of course too big." but then why don't many computers come with CD players anymore? Apple and others took that out of many computers, and people cried doom. but that hasn't affected sales of those types of computers i believe.

well of course :) that's why this discussion is here in the first place because it's a major change, which most would initially not agree with.
The I told yoo so is just good spirited banter....i like to speculate and realize sometimes I'm not right....but if you are, then flaunt it for fun.

Cd and DVD disappeared because everyone can play music and vids on their phones...lol.
Like it or not, they are the primary audio and video listening devices.
There is no competition for these devices yet....that's why I view apple as shooting themselves in the foot here.

The I told yoo so is just good spirited banter....i like to speculate and realize sometimes I'm not right....but if you are, then flaunt it for fun.

Cd and DVD disappeared because everyone can play music and vids on their phones...lol.
Like it or not, they are the primary audio and video listening devices.
There is no competition for these devices yet....that's why I view apple as shooting themselves in the foot here.
gotcha :) just making it clear. i agree they are the primary devices these days. i just hope that a move like this does to wireless audio what it did for CD/DVD.

It's not that bad, because it comes with earbuds that have a lightning connector, and it also comes with this dongle (you have to buy more at $9 each) to convert your legacy 3.5mm jacks to lightning:

<http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMX62AM/A/lightning-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter>

It's also the case that older phones with iOS 10 work with this connector.

The real annoyance with the iPhone 7 is that you can't charge it and listen to (wired) music at the same time. (I have one, and it's annoying in that regard.) A secondary annoyance is that you can't use the new earbuds on a MacBook.

I also wish to point out one thing, the Apple 3.5mm jack actually has four connectors, and it connects a speaker, microphone, and the control switch... but I'm going to try the AirBuds, they will obviously pale in quality compared to my real headphones, but probably be as good as the Apple earbuds, but far more convenient. I also wish to pump less microwave power into my head, so it seems good to try to use any form of earbuds more often, and the AirBuds look convenient... but that might just be a dream, we'll see.

(My opinion)
I think requiring a dongle is just awful. Who wants to drag around an extra adapter/peripheral device to use their ear buds???

This reminds me of the days of the Axe Ultra, when we were required to use an external device to connect to connect via computer. I was using a MidiSport back then.
And on the Axe Wish List thread there were tons of people saying "why do we need an external device...why can't the Axe just have a USB jack on it to connect to a PC".
The Axe evolved, and Cliff added the USB jack, simplifying the chain.

Apple just did the opposite. I just can't grasp the strategy.

It's not a push toward using dongles, it's a push towards using wireless. And a push to force wireless tech to improve.

The iPhone 6s line is still around. People can buy that instead of the 7 if they really don't like it. As mentioned before we will see how the 7 sells over time.

I think the Home Button not being able to be used when wearing gloves is a much bigger issue and deterrent than the lack of headphone jack. You can't do ANYTHING with that issue except remove your gloves. Granted I won't ever have that problem, but in cold climates I'm sure it's major!

It's not a push toward using dongles, it's a push towards using wireless. And a push to force wireless tech to improve.

The iPhone 6s line is still around. People can buy that instead of the 7 if they really don't like it. As mentioned before we will see how the 7 sells over time.

I think the Home Button not being able to be used when wearing gloves is a much bigger issue and deterrent than the lack of headphone jack. You can't do ANYTHING with that issue except remove your gloves. Granted I won't ever have that problem, but in cold climates I'm sure it's major!

They make gloves that allow you to operate your phone. (warm ones).
They work 'ok'.
I have a set, but never find myself needing to use them. When I'm out I the cold....I'm more focused on getting to someplace that's warm.

If you use TouchID to unlock your phone you already couldn't unlock it with gloves on. This isn't new to the 7. Can't read a finger print through a glove.

FYI the iPhone 7 wired headphones work on my iPad Pro in the charging connector.
I should try if the dongle works on playing music into my mixer.
Back in a second.
Edit.
Yes it does.
I usually have to have an adapter anyways to phono rca.
Maybe they'll make a charger to rca connector.
When I did the charger to hdmi connector and could plug my iPad to the projection system I was like, man that was easy...

It's a push to make more money, by exercising their power on their customer base. They are doing it because they can, not because it's better.

There's not much you can do about improving wireless. Not until there's some magical breakthrough in battery technology and tons of extra bandwidth. You need voltage for good sound. Otherwise you get clipping and compression. You can't get that with miniature batteries. Not without draining them instantly, at least.

Granted, if you're using the included standard earbuds you probably don't care, since they sound like crap anyway, wired or wireless. Which is what happens to most people, and which is why Apple will get away with it.

i doubt that.

You doubt what exactly? That higher quality needs power? Well, it's easy to check how amplification works and what rail to rail voltage is and why it matters and why a good power supply isn't doable in a headphone. And why lowering power requirements increases noise and distortion. Necessarily so.

Yes, there are half decent Bluetooth adapters, but they cost a lot, weigh a lot, are big. And none of them are really good. Because at certain points, physics introduces limitations.

Do you owe them something?

Do Apple need you?

I am sad that people need to stand up for a multi billion dollar company...and write a blog about how great it all is for them to charge $200 for a pair of shitty headphones...

Back
Top Bottom