Iphone 7 Killing the Headphone Jack

i think a big change might have been missed: the new Apple AirPods - the completely wireless earbuds - and a few new products from Beats has a new chip/controller in them, the W1. we don't know exactly how it works yet because no one has the products, but this chip is supposed to help keep the connection between devices more stable than just Bluetooth alone, among other things. to connect these devices, you simply put it near your phone and it connects. no more stupid Bluetooth menu pairing. and the chip lets it connect to multiple devices - a feature that other devices do, yes - AND very easily switch between them, whatever is closer. the chip brings some much needed logic to the equation.

perhaps Bluetooth really does need this assistance. i have some Jaybird wireless headphones, the type where the buds are connected by a short wire. those dang things drop out frequently. the recent Bragi Dash wireless earbuds even say "for best connection, keep your phone on your right arm" - literally less than a foot away from the earbuds! what the heck is the point in that!

they say that even though Bluetooth has a 33 foot range, it is severly affected by line of sight and especially bodies of water. well guess what - people are bodies of water too! so having my phone in my left rear pocket, and then the receiving bluetooth device in my right ear actually causes this drop out! if i stand up straight, it's ok, but if i lean over, my shoulders and body breaks the connection and i get the dropouts. how. lame. is. that.

but this is how all Bluetooth devices work. so it IS time to come up with something better. i know Bluetooth goes through revisions, but for music listening, it just really isn't where it needs to be. as i mentioned before, perhaps this pressure from Apple - a leading force in consumer music playing devices - will force the industry to get its act together and not make it necessary to strap my phone to my face for my wireless earbuds to work properly...

Last edited:
I'm going to take a slightly different tack on this -
If you're an "audiophile" inclined sort, you're probably aware that iPhones pack some of the best DACs on the market. No other phone can touch them, and a lot of actual dedicated standalone DACs can't touch them either. They really are that good. So the plan is to move away from those DACS and let HEADPHONE MANUFACTURERS design DACs? Are you joking?? Headphone manufacturers are morons! Who the hell do you you trust out there to design a decent DAC embedded into a headphone, particularly given the onerous power restrictions involved in headphone battery life? The handful of companies I would trust to do a decent job, I wouldn't expect to do it for less than four hundred dollars retail. And that again will be some iPhone-specific product series, so go to hell if you like to use nice headphones with more than one device. So that leads us to the adapter route, which means you're worse off than just having a jack inside the phone in the first place.

I'm a fan of iOS/iPhone - went back to my 6 rather than use my Galaxy S7 - but I'm not interested in playing this game. Next phone will be an Android. Or I'll use my S7.

My Jaybird X2 work well to a reasonable range, 15-20 feet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I never get drop outs in the same room. Hell, they might be the only BT device in my life that aren't a disaster. Everything else has been a headache. I'm not opposed to wireless, but I am opposed to an Apple-specific per-unit license-fee wireless that isn't in any other device at all. My Jaybirds regularly get connected to an iPhone, a PC, a Galaxy, and a Macbook Pro.

My Jaybird X2 work well to a reasonable range, 15-20 feet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I never get drop outs in the same room. Hell, they might be the only BT device in my life that aren't a disaster. Everything else has been a headache. I'm not opposed to wireless, but I am opposed to an Apple-specific per-unit license-fee wireless that isn't in any other device at all. My Jaybirds regularly get connected to an iPhone, a PC, a Galaxy, and a Macbook Pro.
when my phone is anywhere in the room, it's great! when it's in my back pocket, not so much!

These new Airplugpods wouldn't fit my ears, without foam no seal no deeper frequencies i guess...

I use B&O h5 with a tiny cable between them, they work good but multiconnection still not possible :(

"The human brain is an amazing thing. Amazingly gullible, I mean."
Indeed it is Chris!

We as consumers can somehow find sympathy and a kin hood with a multi billion dollar company..
They are pushing new boundary's in flogging off overpriced, poor sounding wireless earbuds with a proprietary chip!!
I have no doubt they will sell by the thousands....

" So maybe the brain isn’t gullible, but just too prideful."
Yes it is..

To prideful to admit that they are gullible..
And will argue the point for a corporation...

I enjoyed being "quoted" in your blog, albeit with some artistic license..
Obviously recording artists are clamouring for their wireless units..
And their "coincidental" 6ft USB cables.... ;)

You cheeky man, you!

Hands on with a 7 yesterday. The wireless headphones sound about as expected -- okay, not great. They fall out of my ears pretty easily. Adapter is fine. Kind of annoying for my company as our swipe reader is a little awkward dangling from the adapter but hopefully this further accelerates dip and contactless payments. The camera update is stunning. For the camera alone I'd upgrade. Love that the pocket computer I carry has an amazing camera on it now because that's how we capture 100% of all the photos and videos in our lives these days.

I love it! I'll probably get a pair, but they're probably maximally ugly in the white....
They're gorgeous to behold. They snap in to the charging case with this little metallic click. Nicely weighted. I just don't have the right ears for them. I've never liked Apple's earphone fit.

Reactions: kgk
I'm curious if the air pods have a delay in them like, I believe all wireless headphones have.
There's some tech in there that hopefully addresses this.
Would make overdubbing without cords really nice.
I don't know how many cans I've killed with the cord stuck in a chair wheel, tripping and just generally a mess.
Tried my Ziks in the studio and it has easily a 256 buffer delay, completely unusable for that application.
For use on the iPhone 7, to play games with this delay would be dumb as hell.
So maybe this has been addressed.
If so, I will purchase

But no mixers are removing their xlr, 1/4" inputs. That would be the correct comparison.
the headphone jack is an OUTPUT, a source, just like microphones and guitars which have been wireless for a long time now. mixers are the receivers, so i don't think those are the same at all.

They're gorgeous to behold. They snap in to the charging case with this little metallic click. Nicely weighted. I just don't have the right ears for them. I've never liked Apple's earphone fit.

what killed it for me is i just found out you must use both to listen to music. you can use 1 for a phone call, but not music. i always use just 1 side for music during the day so i can hear what's happening as i walk around or whatever. looks like it's the BeatsX for me. i really do want that W1 chip, at least to try.

One of my band mates who is a total Mac guy, broke his iPhone 6. This week...but has not replaced it because he won't buy the iPhone 7 due to the lack if headphone jack,

Real life customer impact.....it just happened.

Back
Top Bottom