Iphone 7 Killing the Headphone Jack

Water proof and thinner was apple's reasoning for dropping the jack. they say the jack wouldn't fit under the screen and allow the phone to be thinner, but it looks like it could go beside the home key from the side. I think it's to sell more addons which is what happened with the previous port change.
The port was used for my credit card reader and some other non-audio devices so I think it's a bad move. There's a ton of audio apps which is why I started using ios devices to start with.

I still have a 5, and am happy with it. I also like the size, it fits in my pocket more comfortably than the larger 6 & 7. Really the only reason I'd upgrade to the 7 is for the 256G storage so I can have all of my music with me.

I've thought about getting an adapter like this even w/ my current phone I wouldn't need the cord I use now.

I'm getting the iPhone 7+ just because i want the camera and only because i just broke my phone. Otherwise i was planning on waiting until this spring to upgrade my 5s which was the best iPhone. Unfortunately i'm clumsy... I really don't like that they've eliminated the headphone jack though... I think i'll be able to manage but it is an inconvenience to me and I don't think blue tooth is better than analog anyways... I usually use a schiit valhalla 2 and Dac for audiophile grade listening, now i'm adding another connection to the mix. it's getting weird!

I disagree that 1/8" jacks are not real audio gear... all of our favorite high end cans come with 1/8" jacks and 1/4" adapters.

I disagree that 1/8" jacks are not real audio gear...
i don't think anyone is saying that. some of us are saying that a PHONE is not real audio gear, so it doesn't need an analog audio out. most sound guys use a iPod or some dedicated unit for music playback, not their phone - how could they play Candy Crush during the gig??

I'm getting the iPhone 7+ just because i want the camera and only because i just broke my phone. Otherwise i was planning on waiting until this spring to upgrade my 5s which was the best iPhone. Unfortunately i'm clumsy... I really don't like that they've eliminated the headphone jack though... I think i'll be able to manage but it is an inconvenience to me and I don't think blue tooth is better than analog anyways... I usually use a schiit valhalla 2 and Dac for audiophile grade listening, now i'm adding another connection to the mix. it's getting weird!

Me too and my mobilcontract includes two year a new phone, without that i would stay with the 4s forever.

Again bluetooth is only the 'transport layer' it doesn't have a audio quality , only the protocol which used by sender and receiver.

when you are using it as a business phone, charging and making calls on your headset at the same time are a must. the hassle of charging bluetooth headphones is a pain. and the addition of a dongle to allow to do this is also a pain. i will soldier on with the 5s! ah well, worse things going on in the world, so will probably cope ;-)

Guardian's of the Galaxy is a future movie.....and he's listening to music through a Walkman with a Cassette. I'm going that route!

Since we're nerding out here, isn't Guardians of the Galaxy a present-day movie set in space? :tonguewink:

Many people use wireless microphones and instrument systems. For a few years now actually ;)
Fair point!
Still it seems a little silly that people will defend Apple for removing it..
I will wager that many who do will also swear by a certain guitar lead, and will spend many dollars on quality cables.

I suppose for those who want music played via a phone, we're hardly talking Hi-Fi. So using a quality set of Sennheiser, AKG, or even Bose cans isn't really up there on the average user's priority list. Not as high as making the phone waterproof anyway, which is a pretty good idea.
Personally I've never even considered using a phone to play my music on. Ever. At home I have CD's and Vinyl. In the car I have music on an SD card. I do own an iPod, which I can also use in the car if needed via USB. But my phone, well I use that as a phone, believe it or not. I don't want it to do much else. So I'd be okay without a headphone jack socket.

Back
Top Bottom