iPad USB Audio/MIDI Driver for Axe-Fx II

vaultnaemsae

Inspired
I do not have sufficient privilege to reopen an old thread on this topic so am starting a new one.

There’s much excitement over ARES porting to the II and that’s great but there are still a couple of ‘issues’ with the II that have been largely ignored by Fractal Audio. It’s a long shot but I’m throwing it out here incase anybody has an idea.

I long ago gave up on USB MIDI working properly on MacOS. Fractal like to blame Apple. Apple blame Fractal - A no-win situation for users.

Along with that, one thing that has long bothered me is the inability to directly connect the Axe-Fx II via USB to an iOS device (via CCK) for audio applications. I know you can do the ‘plug into a laptop then the iOS device trick’ but that is illogical and impractical. And the MIDI is garbled...I’m not gonna go down that path today though...serenity now!

I even spent several hundred dollars on an iConnectAUDIO4+ to get the routing I needed. It’s really not ideal though - the device is clever but noisy, needs a wonky 12V wall wart and iConnect are much worse than Fractal for customer support. Tablets/smartphones are meant to be compact and the extra interface really just adds to the load when playing out so it’s never really been a complete solution.

When I had a ticket open with Fractal Support on the USB MIDI issue I was informed that the Fractal/MacOS USB Audio/MIDI driver is actually an Apple driver (not an in-house Fractal thing). How would mere mortals go about getting that driver to run in the same way on an iOS device without the plug and replug trick?

I’m sure there’s somebody here smart enough to solve it. Maybe it’s already been solved. Fractal could do it - but won’t - whatever, this isn’t addressed to Fractal. I can’t really afford to upgrade to a III probably until the IV hits the market . Besides, I live in a territory without distribution. And frankly I’m slightly resentful that they (FAS) never resolved these issues that crippled the Axe-FX II for some power users. So I have resisted trying to trade up just to get basic audio/MIDI routing needs met.

So in 2019 is there an iOS audio solution? I’m pretty sure this would make a handful of Axe-FX II users’ day more than a ported ARES model ever could :)

If the idea is just config axe fx 2 with iPhone/iPad, fracpad works, but I think the idea is using USB to record on iPad (axe fx as interface)! This is something I really like to have!

If the idea is just config axe fx 2 with iPhone/iPad, fracpad works, but I think the idea is using USB to record on iPad (axe fx as interface)! This is something I really like to have!
No FracPad requires a midi interface for axefx2.
There's no way to add usb drivers on iOS... One of many reasons Apple is a bad choice ...

Edit : there's a way but it won't please you : plug an android device with FracPad on it to your axefx2 it will load the driver to the axefx2, then plug in iDevice and it will work

If the AxeFx were a class compliant device on its own it would work (as many dedicated USB audio interfaces are), but since it isn't it never will directly for audio data. Just get a nice interface and the new CCK that can bus power a device.

Well, yes, I was mainly talking about AUDIO over USB. I already accept that MIDI over USB won’t work as desired - even with a MacBook.

I may try to get a cheap Android device just to run FracPad for sending the driver to the Axe before connecting to iOS and see if/how that works.

Many people (including myself) run USB audio devices into iOS with the CCK + lightning power dongle - it works great. That’s how I’ve connected the Axe after doing the trick.

The iConnect interface I have is a tad noisy. I’d like an RME interface but...$$$$$$$$ You just go round in circles cos the Axe-Fx audio over USB is great but it only works effectively in certain configs.

FracPad demo would be enough for that, though

Btw, Al, I was surprised to discover that when the Axe-Fx is in that state (where it can be connected to an iOS device after unplugging from macOS) FracPad also works perfectly. Talk about an AxeEdit killer!

Btw, Al, I was surprised to discover that when the Axe-Fx is in that state (where it can be connected to an iOS device after unplugging from macOS) FracPad also works perfectly. Talk about an AxeEdit killer!
Yes, because when the driver is sent to the AxeFx II it becomes a real audio/midi class-compliant usb device
So there's an easier and cheaper way : use a RPi, install the linux AxeFx II driver on it and connect this RPi each time you need to operate the AxeFx II as a class compliant device

-Borrowed an old Samsung Galaxy phone (Android 4.4.4);
-Bought a $1.00 OTG Gender adaptor;
-Installed trial FracPad III on said phone;
-Powered down Axe-Fx II;
-Powered up Axe and connected Axe USB to Android;
-Opened FracPad;
-Disconnected from Android and reconnected to iOS device;
-Axe-Fx USB Audi/MIDI ports are now available in AUM - too easy!

Winning, thanks Al! I’m gonna try the Raspberry Pi with Linux version driver next. Always wondered about RPi but never got around to exploring it so should be a bit of fun.

It's possible to connect the AXE XL+ to Ipad via USB-Lightning? In the manual says i need a midi cable. Any suggestion about that?

I have searched for a recording solution for my Android device, playing through the AxeFX2 and usb connection. I came across this topic on the forum...
I am using a Note8 mobile phone on a Dex station and the recording with the software from the topic is working good (even in de demo version).

Could work for Apple devices too.

See this topic for more info:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...rectly-with-an-android-device-and-more.86635/

Edit:
Driver only supports 1 system at a time, so only FracPad or the Audio recording software can be used. No big issue for me.. :headbangbanana:

Last edited:
Yes, because when the driver is sent to the AxeFx II it becomes a real audio/midi class-compliant usb device
So there's an easier and cheaper way : use a RPi, install the linux AxeFx II driver on it and connect this RPi each time you need to operate the AxeFx II as a class compliant device

Hey all,

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I haven't found much info on this elsewhere.

Does anyone know if an Arduino or Teensy board (of which I have a few lying around) would do the trick or is it specifically a RPi task?

Cheers!

Hey all,

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I haven't found much info on this elsewhere.

Does anyone know if an Arduino or Teensy board (of which I have a few lying around) would do the trick or is it specifically a RPi task?

Cheers!
An arduino is not a linux os so no you need a rpi in order to user the linux driver

Back
Top Bottom