Ip Man

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Was looking for some "bubble gum for the brain" on Netflix last night and came across "Ip Man". The preview looked interesting. So I gave it a shot. I'm not a connoisseur of Kung Fu movies but I thought it was the best martial arts movie I've ever seen.

Was looking for some "bubble gum for the brain" on Netflix last night and came across "Ip Man". The preview looked interesting. So I gave it a shot. I'm not a connoisseur of Kung Fu movies but I thought it was the best martial arts movie I've ever seen.

Ip Man is an awesome movie! It had a great following including the follow up sequels.

Ip Man (Yip Man) taught Bruce Lee Wing Chun. This is also where Bruce Lee got the "Sticky hands" arts as well.

Bruce Lee ended up developing his own style of martial arts called "Jeet Kune Do"...The Way of the Intecepting Fists".

The best martial arts film in my mind by far is "Enter the Dragon".

2nd is "The Chinese Connection" (aka "Fists of Fury" in some regions)

3rd is "Fists of Fury" filmed in Thailand.

Well now you have 3 sequels to watch. None as good as the first but all worth it. The whole thing is is carried by Donnie yen imo.

The elevator fight scene in #3 is my all time favorite. Insane skills.

We've watched the full length movie once I think - all the replays with my kids - we just skipped to all the fight scenes :)

Last edited:
I love the Ip man movies. Donnie Yen is so enjoyable to watch. I realized he was also in Star Wars - Rogue One. Now i'm thinking i'd love to see an adaptation where Ip Man is in a Cantina on Tatooine. Disney, make this happen!

I really like the first Ip Man movie. The Ip Man 2 was OK but didn't have the same magic for me. I haven't checked out Ip Man 3 to 51.

yes good move, have seen it when it came to Net flicks sometime ago, lots of great Hong Kong marshall arts movies out there my wife likes to rent them, many I've watched just reading english subtitles ;) ... Last Night we watched "Finest Hour" while not kung fu movie was true story...

I was just reading up on some articles with Sammo Hung, since my wife found the old Sammo Law show from the 90's on TV yesterday, and I think it mentioned his involvement in the IP Man movies - producer, director, or maybe fight choreographer or something like that.

Glad you enjoyed it Cliff. Now to watch the sequels. For me, it is also probably the best Kung Fu movie I have ever seen.

I loved them. The fourth one was pretty cool too. I think Donnie Yen is just a really neat actor but, the films follow a pretty common theme. I knew nothing about the guy until he showed up in Rogue One.

One movie I remember watching was "Hero" with Jet Li and thinking about how phenomenal the production value was.

-Nate

Last edited:
I loved them. The fourth one was pretty cool too. I think Donnie Yen is just a really neat actor but, the films follow a pretty common theme. I knew nothing about the guy until he showed up in Rogue One.

One movie I remember watching was "Hero" with Jet Li and thinking about how phenomenal the production value was.

-Nate
I just watched Ip Man 4 last week. I thought it was good.

Check out Jet Li’s “Once Upon a Time in China” movies. Those are great as well.

Also “Ongbak”is good too. Tony Jaa does all his stunts like Jackie Chan.

Reactions: ESW
Jackie Chan appeared on “Enter the Dragon” just after the fantastic elevator fight scene near the radio communications booth.

Though Bruce Lee claimed he’d practically never kick to the head in a real fight ....he’d have a wing ding time using today’s special effects, graphics and CGI for his fight scenes and cinematography.

After all...he truly was an actor and a martial artist.

Back
Top Bottom