iOS cable and audio...

simonp54

Experienced
I bought the appropriate cable to connect my ipad to the axefx3. Initially it presented as I expected audio channels 1..8... then a little while later, this message came up and it no longer worked. Does anyone know why this would occur?B51AC704-086D-4F74-8CC6-D1FA1B6A8EAF.jpeg

Was the iPad asleep and locked? You'll sometime get this message if its locked. Ive had pretty good luck with all the cables and adapter stuff that I've bought but have run into this. Recently bough some ching shin ethernet adapter so I can connect to a behringer XR18 over ethernet so I don't need to run another wireless device. With the ethernet adapter it will disappear in the system settings when the iPad goes to sleep, have to open setting to get it working again. And some times the XR18 app will see the mixer and connect other times I have to enter the IP. At a guess I would think its an IOS security feature to block cable connected hacking devices like security firms use to get into peoples phones.

Last edited:
Was the iPad asleep and locked? You'll sometime get this message if its locked. Ive had pretty good luck with all the cables and adapter stuff that I've bought but have run into this. Recently bough some ching shin ethernet adapter so I can connect to a behringer XR18 over ethernet so I don't need to run another wireless device. With the ethernet adapter it will disappear in the system settings when the iPad goes to sleep, have to open setting to get it working again. And some times the XR18 app will see the mixer and connect other times I have to enter the IP. At a guess I would think its an IOS security feature to block cable connected hacking devices like security firms use to get into peoples phones.
Not asleep. It was very much running an app.

Are you using a USB-B-Lightning cable , or a standard USB B-USB A with an apple dongle ? I have had some inconsistencies with 3rd party cables that will function a while then quit....some def work better than others, but I have had the best result with a dongled setup......your mileage will definitely vary.....

Hmm that is strange. Wondering if it has anything to do with recent changes to the AFXIII firmware. What IOS apps were accessing the AXF?

Are you using a USB-B-Lightning cable , or a standard USB B-USB A with an apple dongle ? I have had some inconsistencies with 3rd party cables that will function a while then quit....some def work better than others, but I have had the best result with a dongled setup......your mileage will definitely vary.....
Usb-B to lightning. I bought on amazon, but it came from China much to my disappointment. But I question how a “cable” can function then quit...

Links to dongle?

Clueless here. I have that same adapter that bradlake just posted. Just hooked mine up with band helper and it works as it should. I use BandHelper to switch presets assigned to songs in a set list via bluetooth using the Yamaha adapter connected to the AFX. On firmware 7.00 at the moment but fixing to update to 7.0.2 will test again.

BandHelper
Ok, so I've been using a USB B to lightning cable from Amazon for about a year.

Primary usage was to send midi beat clock through BandHelper tempo.

I have not used it with audio in BandHelper.

That being said, I have had odd results on 1 iPad (an iPad mini 4) with the midi.

My iPhone 8 and my older iPad mini work consistently.

On the one that doesn't work, I can go into the Midi "engine" (where you can start and stop midi and see the logs) and see that the Axe Fx will sporadically be there or not... Like the driver is crashing and restarting or something.

Maybe something similar? Just thought I would share.

Tested today with AFX firmware 7.0.2, 2015 iPad pro and 2013 iPad air both work as it should with no error. Both iPads on the latest IOS 12.4.1.
My iPad is relatively old. And has a limit of iOS 9.something.
I’ll see if I can borrow a newer one.

I think the Apple branded cables and adapters have a chip in them that makes them fool proof, where the others do not.

Back
Top Bottom