diezel013

Inspired
Hey folks, just wanted to share a little Tony Iommi patch I recently put together. Keep in mind, while I've tried to learn all about Tony's gear circa Paranoid til about Sabotage, this is just meant to give you a taste, I cannot promise it to be an exact copy. This sounded good to my ears and thought other's would enjoy it. For reference sake I dialed it in using my Gibson V and Explorer (with 498t and 490r Gibson pups)... With your guitar, I don't know how it sounds, so perhaps a couple adjustments might be needed. Warning... lots of treble, but that's where your TONE KNOB will come in handy... I personally find that I get a sound closer to Tony's when I roll back the tone knob.

I put 3 scenes... Scene 1 (Clean) is a representation of Tony's clean sound that you hear on early Sabbath songs like Planet Caravan with just a touch of spring verb... delay and chorus ready to go if desired. Scene 2 (Dirty) is my attempt to recreate Tony's rhythm guitar tone, which was most often a Treble Boost into a Laney Supergroup 100W at the time. As the Laney isn't available, the SLP seemed like the best choice. I opted for Greenback's for cabs (period correct, though Tony used Laney cabs I believe) and blended some different models... Scene 3 is basically the same exact thing although it has delay and reverb already activated for a little ambiance when soloing.

PS... I've included a Wah linked up to footswitch no.1, but in case you have your Axe set up differently, maybe you want to change the settings. The chorus for the Dirty and Lead scenes was my attempt at emulating Tony's sound on Killing Yourself To Live, although it seems that the studio version is multitracked wet/dry.

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8115

Hope ya dig!!! Will be sharing more soon!!!

Last edited:
Is it okay? It's only the second preset I share and I'm hoping there isn't something wrong with the upload. Hopefully transparent as a good thing haha. Cheers!!!
That was my (apparently bad) attempt at humor. There's no preset attached ;)

Back
Top Bottom