Invitation to Purchase XL

Oh great news congrats NY Guitarist! Hopefully I'll be in one of their next couple batches then ;-)

Let us all know your first impressions when you get it?

RDH hopefully those crickets will change to some better sounds for us soon...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had my XL for a little over a week. So far it's been a very good experience. I had read the manuals for the MFC-101 and the AxeFX when I was deciding whether to get on the waiting lists, then re-read even more thoroughly as I was waiting. That gave me a great foundation in setting up and using the system. For the first few days I scrolled through the presets, noting especially good ones as potential starting points for my most frequently used tones. Then I started mapping those foundational patches to my song list, making notes on what changes would be necessary for each. Since then I've been digging deeper into AxeEdit to tweak my sounds, and experimenting with scenes to set up the tones for specific songs / sequences.

I often chat with professional peers to discuss gear, touring, approaches to recording and so on. Last night I was talking with a friend about an upcoming show are bands are both playing, and he suggested we share rigs. I told him "actually, I've switched to the AxeFX". His stunned silence told volumes. I've been a die-hard boutique pedals + tube amp guy for 30+ years. So, first impressions of the XL? It's *that* good. Once you get over the initial sonic delight of how good the system is, you start crafting your own tones, and that's when you begin appreciate how powerful and well-thought-out the entire platform is. I'm very pleased with the AxeFX, and with FAS as a company.

^ This.

I have also had mine about a week. Now, I just had a hiccup with mine (detailed in another post, so I won't repeat it here. Outside of that issue, I am really liking this thing. I just ordered the first of what will be a pair of CLR's to play it through. That will arrive on Wed. For now, I'm hearing it through some Event Audio Studio Monitors.

This thing can create sounds and tones that I have never had before, and it makes playing the guitar so much fun. I can't wait to take this thing to a rehearsal. The tone envy is going to be massive. One of the guys I play with sometimes has my old Marshall rig... I sold it to him a while back. That rig sounds good, but I have a feeling this is going to be on another level with the CLRs.

GREAT DAY!!! Received my invitation to purchase XL this evening (the real invitation this time). I already confirmed and got my order #. IT GETS BETTER!! The brown truck also delivered 2 CLR NEO active wedges to me today as well (Thanks Tom).
Looks like Ill be busy for the next few weeks.

Are you waiting for the package you just ordered?
scott-pilgrim-waiting-o.gif

Got the invite this morning, ordered it and staking out the UPS guy! lol
Since I got on the wait list 2/26 it looks like it's precisely a two month wait.

I've had my XL for a little over a week. So far it's been a very good experience. I had read the manuals for the MFC-101 and the AxeFX when I was deciding whether to get on the waiting lists, then re-read even more thoroughly as I was waiting. That gave me a great foundation in setting up and using the system. For the first few days I scrolled through the presets, noting especially good ones as potential starting points for my most frequently used tones. Then I started mapping those foundational patches to my song list, making notes on what changes would be necessary for each. Since then I've been digging deeper into AxeEdit to tweak my sounds, and experimenting with scenes to set up the tones for specific songs / sequences.

I often chat with professional peers to discuss gear, touring, approaches to recording and so on. Last night I was talking with a friend about an upcoming show are bands are both playing, and he suggested we share rigs. I told him "actually, I've switched to the AxeFX". His stunned silence told volumes. I've been a die-hard boutique pedals + tube amp guy for 30+ years. So, first impressions of the XL? It's *that* good. Once you get over the initial sonic delight of how good the system is, you start crafting your own tones, and that's when you begin appreciate how powerful and well-thought-out the entire platform is. I'm very pleased with the AxeFX, and with FAS as a company.

Thanks for sharing your first impressions Sleestak (& Pinky!, lol lovin these forum names) I appreciate it! I've been a tube & drive pedal/rack-fx guy for about 35/yrs myself (yikes!), so it's nice to know someone else with that sort of background not only likes the tones and quality of the unit in general, but likes the company as well. THAT speaks volumes these days because, generally speaking, customer service on the whole has gone down the shitter! LOL

Currently I'm using the G-System from TC Electronics with a Boogie Mark V, and that G-System even colors the tone in ways that bug me...so THAT's how picky I am! (wish I could be satisfied with no FX...just go thru Guitar>Amp and that's it!). I've tried so many alternatives over the years...I had a Line-6 amp for a while, a Boss floor based modeler, a Digitech 2101 with a Triaxis setup (that was pretty good actually!), and even a Pearce solid state amp in the 80's. I could never get used to the tone of a non tube amp though, so I always went back to Boogies, Marshalls & Fenders. This is obviously going to be a big change for me. I'll be working on basic tones and specific song related presets for a good while before I finally take it out on a gig.

I ordered a CLR Neo last week because I needed a new monitor anyway, I had tried going with in-ear monitors for our new Mackie PA setup (with all our mixes controlled by iPads & iPhones no less), but those in-ears put me over the edge in terms of my ears ringing all the time (I feel ya Pete Townshend!). So I'm back to a wedge & ear-plugs. Next stop is for new midi controllers...need a small one for those gigs with scarce real estate on stage (Liquid Foot+ Jr+ maybe?), a larger one will be something I do down the road though.

After a few days of messing around with this thing i'll offer up some first impressions as well - have fun guys!

Currently I'm using the G-System from TC Electronics with a Boogie Mark V, and that G-System even colors the tone in ways that bug me...so THAT's how picky I am! (wish I could be satisfied with no FX...just go thru Guitar>Amp and that's it!). I've tried so many alternatives over the years...I had a Line-6 amp for a while, a Boss floor based modeler, a Digitech 2101 with a Triaxis setup (that was pretty good actually!), and even a Pearce solid state amp in the 80's. I could never get used to the tone of a non tube amp though, so I always went back to Boogies, Marshalls & Fenders. This is obviously going to be a big change for me. I'll be working on basic tones and specific song related presets for a good while before I finally take it out on a gig.

I used similar systems. I have a Mark V, and a Carvin V3, and had a Marshall JCM2000. and a JCM 900 all of which I gigged with. I played with a Mesa Road King, a Splawn, and other amps. I liked all the amps. I even tried (for a minute) a POD XT Pro (before the HD stuff - yech! unusable!) I used pedals as as well as at various times GSP1101, Gmaj 2, Gforce, and even tried an Eventide Eclipse. All of them sucked the tone out of the amp. Of the rack gear, the Eventide was the best, but it was only borrowed. I rebuilt my rack every few months searching for the answers to my tone desires. I used GCX switchers, Decimator noise gates, line buffers and boosters, and all manner of rack insanity in a 16 space 100+ lb beast. STILL... I never got the tone I really wanted. I even played 2 amp stereo rigs and a monster wet/dry/wet rig. (That was AWESOME by the way. Best rig ever, but totally impractical, unmovable and unusable. It never made it out of my garage. )

Now it's too early for me to give a verdict on the XL... but early signs are looking good, and I am thinking this may be the best piece of gear... ever. I get my CLR on Wed, and I'm going to do some A/B against my MarkV and my Carvin just for amp tone. I'll report back then.

Having said that... for me it's much more than the "amp tone". You can have BEAUTIFUL amp tone, but if you lose that tone when you hook all of your effects up to it then it doesn't matter. That has been my issue when using FX loops. Even the Gforce colored (more like flattened) my tone, and I hated that. My hope and dream is that the AXE is going to give me both the amp tone and transparent effects with all the bells and whistles I seek.

So far through monitors, it seems great, but until I hear it at real volume through a sizable speaker I won't know for sure. I think the CLR next to my 1x12 Mesa should be a good clean comparison. I'm not looking for an exact tone match, just that the AXE convinces me and has real amp tone. I believe it is going to do just that.

I used pedals as as well as at various times GSP1101, Gmaj 2, Gforce, and even tried an Eventide Eclipse. All of them sucked the tone out of the amp.
... for me it's much more than the "amp tone". You can have BEAUTIFUL amp tone, but if you lose that tone when you hook all of your effects up to it then it doesn't matter. That has been my issue when using FX loops.

EXACTLY!!! It sounds like we have travelled identical roads. The issue with F/X units is precisely that you have to reduce your preamp level so much that your tone suffers...and then to add insult to injury the units color your tone further. It's been a crazy road to say the least.

Here's to what will hopefully be better days :encouragement:

Got notice this morning that my XL is being shipped today...NOW i'm getting psyched :eagerness:
What's been the general ship-time experience?

They sent me a tracking number when I got mine... so I could watch it make it's way to me. Took about 4 days, but I'm in CA. Your going to have some fun with this thing. Congrats! I'm sure your already studying the manual like crazy. There is so much to learn...

Next stop is for new midi controllers...need a small one for those gigs with scarce real estate on stage (Liquid Foot+ Jr+ maybe?), a larger one will be something I do down the road though.
Have you checked out the Keith McMillen SoftStep MIDI controller? It's quite small, and has pretty deep editing software. I haven't used one myself, but I know a few people who have them. The general feedback on the original version is that the X/Y and rotational control is too touchy, but the pressure and on/off are very good. The new version has a different pad shape (cross-shaped, versus the squares on the original), and is supposed to possess improved implementation across the board. For a small MIDI controller, it appears fairly versatile and affordable.

I'll check out the SoftStep, thanks for the suggestion Sleestak.
They processed the whole transaction this morning, so the tracking# will probably be available later today, i'll keep an eye on it for sure. I AM in NJ too! The UPS truck usually arrive in my area 6-7 pm so i could be basking in tonal heaven in the next couple of nights. i'll need to refrain from being tempted to pull all nighters programming sounds to bring it to Saturday's gig...LOL

Back
Top Bottom