Inverted screens.....please

While I appreciate the thought behind this and have wondered myself if I could rip out the chintzy (to my layperson's eyes) LCDs and replace them with bigger and brighter ones. The problem is that ruins resale and I am holding out for Fractal to come out with a mark 2 device.

It would be great to get an official response on whether the screen can be easily inverted. I'll ask again, does this thread need to be reposted with a "wish" tag to get attention?
Just to be clear, the mod I'm suggesting isn't ripping out the old LCDs and putting in new ones. You just open the FC, get access to the old LCDs, replace or reposition the polarizing film already on the display to invert it, then put it all back.

I've not done this on the FC (I have on other displays), but I would definitely value this mod if I ever saw it done to all 13 displays on an FC-12. Heck, I would pay more for the FC if someone went through the trouble. It would look so amazing that I know it's a matter of time before someone posts a pic of this mod on their FC.

You can post it as a "wish" if you'd like and kindly request an official response, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm not going to say I'll eat my shoe if either of those happen but...

Anyways, there's miles of FC wishes and bug fix requests that were properly tagged that are more important and haven't gotten attention either. I appreciate where FAC have been putting their attention because they're putting out great stuff for the FXIII, but after a few years I've just become more realistic with FC expectations. It seems if you want something done for your FC, try to find a way to do it yourself.

I have 20/100 and 20/70 vision, wear contacts or 1.75 diopter readers, am 6' 1" (185.5cm) tall and with correction, have no issues reading the scribble strips while standing as they are. I'm very curious how they look to those who can't see them, even with readers. Are you able to read the display on the Axe III, FM9 or FM3? Do you need to use a dark mode on your computers and phone to be able to read anything on the monitor or screen? I wonder if it's a refresh rate issue rather than a contrast issue?

May be talking out my butt, only trying to understand, get clarity on the issue and hope they can develop a solution that works for everyone. The FC is an indispensable tool that I agree should be accessible to every FAS user.

I have adjusted the scribble strip and LED settings quite a bit, but even at default are still legible with contacts or readers. At default, I'm barely able to make out what is displayed in the scribble strips but is better with the following adjustments:

• FC Mini-Display Brightness=39%
  • FC Global Brightness=34%
  • LED Ring Intensity Bright=35%
  • LED Ring Intensity Dim=5%.
@JoKeR III I can't seem to find (yes, I've looked through the manuals! :D) a place to adjust the FC mini-display brightness on the FC-12 scribble strips. Is this something the user can configure? How did you arrive at the 39% value?

@JoKeR III I can't seem to find (yes, I've looked through the manuals! :D) a place to adjust the FC mini-display brightness on the FC-12 scribble strips. Is this something the user can configure? How did you arrive at the 39% value?
As @mr_fender stated; in the Remote page of the FC Controllers Setup menu. The FC Mini Display Contrasts is what I have set to 39. Don't know if the terminology changed or I just mistyped. Either way, I edited my original plat. How I arrived at 39 as the value is I turned the control up until the dark boxes were visible around the text, then turned it down until the boxes just disappeared.

As @mr_fender stated; in the Remote page of the FC Controllers Setup menu. The FC Mini Display Contrasts is what I have set to 39. Don't know if the terminology changed or I just mistyped. Either way, I edited my original plat. How I arrived at 39 as the value is I turned the control up until the dark boxes were visible around the text, then turned it down until the boxes just disappeared.
Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Thread resurrection due to this wish having been granted. The lcds can be inverted now. I'm afraid it doesn't help much if any for readability, though.
Ik afraid the actual lcds need to be replaced with something better to have any advancement. Slightly disappointed that the line6 has better readability.

The lcds can be inverted now. I'm afraid it doesn't help much if any for readability, though.
The kerning between characters is too tight for there to be much advantage to inversion of the display.

Fractal has already done that as well. You can pick up a Mark II FC Unit with bigger mini displays that are much easier to read.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/fc-controllers/
Bingo. The larger displays on the Mk II make a huge difference in readability.

The kerning between characters is too tight for there to be much advantage to inversion of the display.

Bingo. The larger displays on the Mk II make a huge difference in readability.

The biggest issue I have is the contrast between dark and not dark, and the large portion of the displays that are lit but do not have pixels over them that can be used for the letters. Inverting the screen is only a marginal improvement, due to the bright lit border around the pixels. If my legs were shorter, there'd be no problem, but the floor is just too damn far away to read them.

79wydt.jpg

The bigger screens would be a deciding factor to upgrade if they appeared on the FM9. I have zero issues reading its main display, even the small print, as it's not as bright, and has better contrast....

The biggest issue I have is the contrast between dark and not dark, and the large portion of the displays that are lit but do not have pixels over them that can be used for the letters. Inverting the screen is only a marginal improvement, due to the bright lit border around the pixels. If my legs were shorter, there'd be no problem, but the floor is just too damn far away to read them.

View attachment 115554

The bigger screens would be a deciding factor to upgrade if they appeared on the FM9. I have zero issues reading its main display, even the small print, as it's not as bright, and has better contrast....
Agreed: contrast is a factor, too. If the mini-displays had the contrast and resolution of ink on paper, there would be no problem.

BTW, I'm using an FM3, I just now noticed this is the FC subforum. New FC displays look bigger.
Sitting in my chair I can read the mini lcds. Standing up it gets very vague. Another issue with my fm3 is that the middle lcd is slightly darker than the outer two and seems like it has less contrast too. Upping the brightness does not help because the letters get brighter too and the letters get overshouted by the light around it. Inverse helps a bit but it seems to depend on circumstances. It's just too small.

BTW, if any of you contemplate IOL Trifocus lens replacement surgery, THINK LONG AND HARD! Make DAMN sure it's an improvement. I had it 4 weeks ago, they say it's supposed to improve a bit, but it ahs a long way to go. I'm worried. I used to be far sighted, needed reading glasses. Now I'm near sighted. Driving at night is scary from all the static firework-alike bursts around every lamp, including headlights and traffic lights. Using -1 glasses for nearsighted people improves some but it's not gone by a long shot.

Back
Top Bottom