Wish Inverse mode for Multiplexer block (or an IMUX block)

iaresee

Administrator
I really like the MUX block. Like...realllllly like it. It's simplified things so much for me when it comes to routing signals through many blocks controlled by a single expression pedal in my rig.

One of the things I love about the MUX block is I can assign a single switch to step through the channels on the MUX to select what I'm hearing. That's super handy and very, very hard to replicate with a control switch and other blocks.

That single-switch routing change handiness has me wanting an IMUX -- a MUX block mode that lets me take a single input signal and change the output row that it's routed on to. An excellent potential use would be as a way to select between many delay-type blocks and keep tails on the delays as I move between them. Something like this:

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 12.48.40 PM.png

With an IMUX mode I can use one switch to step through routing the signal through D1 > D2 > PD1 > MTD1. And I get tails on the delays as I change them. That's hard to do any any other way right now.

Can your controller cycle through any 4 CC values with one switch? If so one way to do this now would be via input gain or bypass (mute in) modifiers on each block.

I think the Ideal scene for this would be a "reverse mixer" better called a DA (Distribution Amplifier) block. You'd have 1 in and 6 outs and you could create blends or hard wired routes for the signal and store the values per channel. Add to that the possibility to morph between channels/values either with a real time controller or with timed changes and we're entering a whole new world of possibilities. Stick 4 of these in the Inventory and the world's your oyster!

Yes please!

I think the Ideal scene for this would be a "reverse mixer" better called a DA (Distribution Amplifier) block. You'd have 1 in and 6 outs and you could create blends or hard wired routes for the signal and store the values per channel. Add to that the possibility to morph between channels/values either with a real time controller or with timed changes and we're entering a whole new world of possibilities. Stick 4 of these in the Inventory and the world's your oyster!

Yes please!
6-channel mixer. :)

I can't see the FC doing this.

An alternarive approach to this that wouldn’t involve special FC programming would be to introduce something like internal controllers. Thinking back to the Axess FX1 and I think the Liquid Foot controller as well, they had the notion of controllers that worked like IAs without a physical switch assigned to them but you could turn them on and off with presets. These capabilities are really useful in a rig where not everything was integrated like the Axe. Fast forward to the Axe3 - imagine having internal controllers that could be used as modifier sources (basically loopback externals) and then add a few internal controllers blocks (or pages in the controller UX). Let those controller blocks/pages have channels, so the channels can be set, switched, or toggled with the FC like any other block.

+1 for this wish! If I didn't look for and find this wish first, I'd have reposted this.

I encountered a similar task as described with the delays and spillover:
1. I want to use the Plex Verb with the built-in envelope follower. To have the full auto-swell effect, the block is in serial and mix set to 100%.
2. Then I want to switch off the Plex Verb, keep its trails, but it should pass through the dry signal. This, of course, is not possible, as bypass = through defeats the trails and mute FX in keeps the trails but mutes any signal coming into the block because of the 100% FX mix.

I really thought I must be overlooking the simple and straightforward solution, but it all comes down to controling to where the signal is going to, rather than where it's coming from, which can be done by the mixer or multiplexer. For now I use a volume block just for muting/enabling this signal flow.

The most elegant and flexible way to solve this would indeed be a demux = demultiplexing block, where you choose to which row the signal should go to.

As I work for a company which produces optical (= wavelength division) multiplexing and demultiplexing products, I'd enjoy having a demux block in the Axe-Fx III even more :-D

Back
Top Bottom