Invalid File Type Message

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
I need help learning to use MFC-Edit. I can’t get it to work.

I did an MFC-101 backup using Fractal Bot. Output file size recorded in Fractal Bot was 71400. When I tried to open the syx backup in MFC-Edit I got this message:

Invalid File Type:

"The File you are trying to open is not from MFC-101.
It is from Axe-Fx Standard and you cannot open it from MFC-Edit".

I'm using:
- AxeFx II Mk I on fw 9.04
- MFC-101 Mk I on fw 3.08
- 2018 iMac running High Sierra
- Java 8 update 161
- My midi cable is brand new and is good, I tested it.

Setup as follows:

- MFC-101 Midi Out to AxeFx Midi In.
- No Midi In Cable to MFC-101.
- AxeFxII USB to iMac
- MFC-101 is powered by Fractal power adapter / Ethernet Disconnected.
- MFC-101 Midi Mode is set to "MIDI"
- AxeFx Realtimesysex = off.
- AxeFx Adaptermode = on.
- Running current AxeFx Usb driver.

I also tried to run a backup from MFC-Edit and couldn’t get it to do anything.
I have no idea how to run a backup from MFC-Edit.
Are there any videos showing how to do this?

I need help learning to use MFC-Edit. I can’t get it to work.

I did an MFC-101 backup using Fractal Bot. Output file size recorded in Fractal Bot was 71400. When I tried to open the syx backup in MFC-Edit I got this message:

Invalid File Type:

I'm using:
- AxeFx II Mk I on fw 9.04
- MFC-101 Mk I on fw 3.08
- 2018 iMac running High Sierra
- Java 8 update 161
- My midi cable is brand new and is good, I tested it.

Setup as follows:

- MFC-101 Midi Out to AxeFx Midi In.
- No Midi In Cable to MFC-101.
- AxeFxII USB to iMac
- MFC-101 is powered by Fractal power adapter / Ethernet Disconnected.
- MFC-101 Midi Mode is set to "MIDI"
- AxeFx Realtimesysex = off.
- AxeFx Adaptermode = on.
- Running current AxeFx Usb driver.

I also tried to run a backup from MFC-Edit and couldn’t get it to do anything.
I have no idea how to run a backup from MFC-Edit.
Are there any videos showing how to do this?

The message from MFC-Edit is telling you that you tried to open an Axe-Fx Backup from an Axe-Fx Standard. MFC-Edit will only open a backup from the MFC-101.

So make sure that you run a dump of your MFC-101 through a USB/MIDI interface to your computer. It is possible to use the Axe-Fx II as a USB/MIDI interface but its more difficult and very finnicky. I definitely recommend that you pick up a Roland UM-ONE USB/MIDI interface on Amazon - it's inexpensive and it is rock solid. I don't believe that Axe-Fx models before the Axe-Fx II can be used as a USB/MIDI interface. It sounds like your cabling is correct so its something else.

There are a few MFC-Edit videos out there - they are posted also in the MFC-Edit forum here at Fractal Audio and MFC-Edit comes with a 48 page Users's Manual. There's lots of help pinned at the top of the MFC-Edit forum here - check that first.

I do not even own an Axe FX Standard. I only have an Axe FXII mk1.
I did the MFC-101 backup with Fractal Bot, connect by usb from my Axe FXII to an iMac.
Are you saying that Fractal Bot will not backup the MFC-101 correctly through the usb on an Axe FXII?

There are videos showing how to update the MFC-101 using Fractal Bot, but none showing how to save syx files directly with the MFC-Edit Communicator.

I could not find anywhere in the MFC-Edit manual where it showed how to properly connect the MFC-101 to an Axe FXII, (or to the Roland UM-ONE USB/MIDI interface), and the exact steps needed to get a syx backup from either one, Fractal Bot or the MMC-Edit Communicator.

I just downloaded the brand new version of Fractal Bot and tried again. Fractal Bot showed the MFC-101 backup was successful. In MFC-Edit this time when I clicked on the MFC-101 syx backup I'd just made and tried to open it in MFC-Edit nothing happened at all. No pop up box saying it was an Invalid File Type, it just did not open. I tried it several times.

I do not even own an Axe FX Standard. I only have an Axe FXII mk1.
I did the MFC-101 backup with Fractal Bot, connect by usb from my Axe FXII to an iMac.
Are you saying that Fractal Bot will not backup the MFC-101 correctly through the usb on an Axe FXII?

There are videos showing how to update the MFC-101 using Fractal Bot, but none showing how to save syx files directly with the MFC-Edit Communicator.

I could not find anywhere in the MFC-Edit manual where it showed how to properly connect the MFC-101 to an Axe FXII, (or to the Roland UM-ONE USB/MIDI interface), and the exact steps needed to get a syx backup from either one, Fractal Bot or the MMC-Edit Communicator.

From the MFC-Edit Help->Axe-Fx as USB/MIDI Interface menu option of MFC-Edit and the MFC-101 Owner's Manual:

upload_2018-3-25_14-14-21.png

Use Fractal Bot to capture the MFC-101 Sysex Dump. Check the size of the file captured. It should be 138k in size, exactly 140915 bytes. If it is not, keep trying until you capture a sysex file of the correct length. If you are going to use the Roland Um-One USB/MIDI interface to the MFC-101 and the computer then connect the USB end of the Roland UM/ONE to the computer - there's nowhere to connect the USB end to the MFC-101 - and connect the Roland UM-ONE cable end plug labeled "CONNECT TO MIDI IN" to the socket labeled "MIDI IN" on the MFC-101. Likewise the MIDI OUT.

Also, see p. 15 of the MFC-Edit Owner's Manual to see how to capture an MFC-101 sysex dump using MFC-Edit.

I just downloaded the brand new version of Fractal Bot and tried again. Fractal Bot showed the MFC-101 backup was successful. In MFC-Edit this time when I clicked on the MFC-101 syx backup I'd just made and tried to open it in MFC-Edit nothing happened at all. No pop up box saying it was an Invalid File Type, it just did not open. I tried it several times.
What was the exact size of the file that you captured with Fractal Bot? Open a support ticket and someone will get back with you during normal business hours.
Go to the Help->Information, Errors & Support option off the MFC-Edit menu and provide all that information in the ticket.

What was the exact size of the file that you captured with Fractal Bot?

71400. That's what is is every time I do it.

Update: I just tried it several more times. Same result every time. Always 71400 then SysEx Data Dump screen comes up on my MFC-101 and the file size never goes higher than 71400 on Fractal Bot.

Last edited:
I just tried using the Midi-Edit SysEx Receiver inside MFC-Edit using the Axe FXII as the midi/usb interface, and it only made it to 5% then a window popped up saying "invalid message, aborting , last message type preset 1"

Should the Midi edit syx receiver work inside MFC-Edit using the Axe FXII as the midi/usb interface,
or will it only work if you buy the Roland Um-One USB/MIDI interface and use that? (I just ordered the Roland cable for $40. Should have it in 7-10 days.)
Or should it work either way?

I don't get it. MFC-Edit doesn't seem to work at all at capturing a MFC-101 dump, and Fractal Bot MFC-101 dumps are always only 71400 no matter how many times I try, when you say they should be 138k in size, exactly 140915 bytes.

I have an MFC-101 Mark 1.
I found an old thread where you said "The Mark 1/II firmware should be 140897 bytes exactly."
Above you said "It should be 138k in size, exactly 140915 bytes." Which is correct for the MFC-101 mk 1?

I read in another thread where someone having the same issues as me got it to work by using "SysEx Data SLOWDUMP".

On the MFC-101 I went to SysEx Data Dump, then up two to SysEx Data SLOWDUMP and chose that instead of SysEx Data Dump.
I tried that using the Axe FXII mk 1 as the usb/midi interface into Fractal Bot and it worked. It saved a file of 140897 bytes.
I then tried to receive a MFC-101 backup using MFC-Edit using the Axe FXII mk 1 as the usb/midi interface and that worked also, giving a file of 140897.
Both files open up in MFC-Edit. I guess I should have waited to order that Roland Um-One USB/MIDI interface.
I haven't tried anything else with MFC-Edit yet.

Back
Top Bottom