Introduction

• Thread starter Deleted member 47387
  • Start date
Thank you everybody for your input. I have done a lot of reading and will definitely be purchasing The Axe-Fx II XL+. G66 have told me they can ship today so will put my order in within the next few days. I thought they would have a waiting list but apparently not.
Paul I'm located in Essex. You probably won't hear from me till it arrives but will definitely let you guys know how I get on. I'm guessing I will be locked in the studio for a while. (Well the spare room)

Johnny

I'm nottingham myself, but have to go to head office every so often in harwich.

If you need some help in the early days might be able to arrange a hook up.

Plenty of other afx users around your way. There's usually one in peach (one of the sales guys). You could ring and ask for a demo I'm sure.

Hi
Thank you for letting me join your forum. I am looking to purchase The Axe-Fx II XL+ but wanted to read through the forums to educate myself and I suppose bottom line.......am I doing the right thing. Currently use TC Electronics Nova System. Pain to use, but good effects. I'm getting on in years but still young at heart and love the fact that you have all those amps and effects in one unit, not just any amp and effects but all very high quality. Perfect for my studio setup and occasional gig
Regards

Johnny

Hi Johnny!
I too used the TC stuff for the past 20 years.
Recently joined the Fractal team and haven't looked back.
This is the best gear purchase of my life, no regrets whatsoever!
I got on board with the Axe FX XL II+ and the MFC-101. Then a while later they came out with the AX8 and I got that to make my life a little easier.
I sold off most all of my old gear just keeping 2 tube amps and some effects to use with those if I ever want to go back for a day!

I believe that there are probably many older rockers and jazzers, Axe-FX users on line. I am one of them. I believe music will keep you young, at least, in mind and spirit . . . Welcome !

P.S. A shot of some powerful, good Rock or Metal can do wonders !

Last edited:
G66's service is incredible, both pre- and post- sale. Not long to go now!

The waiting is killing me...lol. I just can't believe how lucky I am in that I only have to wait three days !

On another subject, I have an old solid flight cased rack unit I intend to put the Axe Fx in....just wondering how hot these things get. Do you use any additional cooling fans for your rack or just leave plenty of space above and below for adequate ventilation?

No fans, or cooling required. Its a SS device, so while there is a fan internal to the AFX for the processor - its enough on its own.

RE live playing, I dont go stereo. For amplification, you have 3 choices really.

1. FRFR cab/monitor. The Matrix offerings along with the CLR Fox5150 uses are well thought of, and there are upper end stage monitors as well that some use to great affect.

2. In ear monitors, and just take a feed to the desk - usefull if thats what your used to, or if you mic up a full band.

3. Power amp and cab/s. IMO the best way if you dont mic the full band (not that common in the UK). Here there are two choices of amp:

a. Solid state. Most notably the Matrix Power amps, though there are other options. The pro is a flat response (is un-coloured) and reliability. I used a GT800 and then a GT1000 for around 5 years with no issues at all. Some love them, some find them flat - though in truth most of that is down to programming.

b. Valve power amp. Needs valves, and has the same down sides to other valve amps (reliant on stable power, warm up , fatigue etc). Some like a valve in the signal path and think it adds a little something. I now use a Fruette Power station (,mono) for my amplification. The KEY here though is a neutral amp. That means unless your after their core tonality, stay away from Mesa and Marshall. They do tend to make everything sound like a Mesa or Marshal. If thats what you want great, but if not ...... More "neutral" sounding valve amps come from Engl and Fryette (old VHT). They are 2U stereo rack units in general. There is the new Fryette LXii if it ever reaches the market - which is a 1u 40w (80 bridgeable) valve power amp with "flat " and "traditional" voicing options. The Fryette Power Station is actually an reactive load for power attenuation and DI-ing primarily, but it is mated to a 50W mono power side (check online for how it works as an attenuator), so can be used as a flat response 50W power amp (mono). Its a great unit IF Mono is OK. I can be racked (2U) or placed on top like a traditional attenuator.

Pic of my rig - the rack unit at the bottom is a RAC12. A little pricey, but a great piece of kit. Means you have the same "knob" control your used to for live work. There is plenty of info on this site about it if you want to dig in.

P1030407.jpg

Thank you Paul, that's really informative and a great help....appreciate you went to all that trouble :)

I currently use a Gibson Les Paul RO and a 1954 master built Strat. Both go into the TC Electonics Nova System and then from the outputs into a Steinberg UR44. I use active Tannoys (flat response) and it sounds good to me.
Eventually I would buy a Marshall stereo power amp and two 2 x 12 cabs. I take it I would have to buy flat response speakers (IR Cabs). Not sure if I would run mono or stereo for live work.
Then of course I would have to purchase the MFC 101. What I won't do is buy lesser quality gear, otherwise it defeats the object. Thanks Ben for pointing that out. I can see how easy it could be to use lesser quality amps and speakers and to be mistakenly disappointed with the axe fx
Johnny

Hi Johhny, and welcome!
If you plan to use full range cabs, then you'll need a neutral sounding (solid state) power amplifier.
If you want to use cab/s with guitar speakers then you can use either a valve power amp or a solid state one, but I'd go with a solid state one, as he Axe-Fx will do the job of creating the power amp modelling you need, all you need to do is make it louder. There is no real need for external tone shaping of any sort.

Personally I use the unit in stereo for both live and home use, to take full advantage of the Stereo effects. I send output 1 direct to the desk/PA via the cab modelling, and send output 2 to my Matrix power amp & marshall 4x12, without the cab modelling. Best of both worlds.

Let us know how you get on, and enjoy this amazing unit, that keeps evolving... :)

Hi Johhny, and welcome!
If you plan to use full range cabs, then you'll need a neutral sounding (solid state) power amplifier.
If you want to use cab/s with guitar speakers then you can use either a valve power amp or a solid state one, but I'd go with a solid state one, as he Axe-Fx will do the job of creating the power amp modelling you need, all you need to do is make it louder. There is no real need for external tone shaping of any sort.

Personally I use the unit in stereo for both live and home use, to take full advantage of the Stereo effects. I send output 1 direct to the desk/PA via the cab modelling, and send output 2 to my Matrix power amp & marshall 4x12, without the cab modelling. Best of both worlds.

Let us know how you get on, and enjoy this amazing unit, that keeps evolving... :)

Thanks Craig. As soon as the Axe-Fx turns up I have no doubt I will lock myself away for a while, but will let you guys know how I get on. For the moment I will be concentrating on playing around with the FX-Axe and recording, so not in a rush to buy a live setup just yet, but do want to plan my eventual rig:)

Back
Top Bottom