Introduction

• Thread starter Deleted member 47387
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47387

Hi
Thank you for letting me join your forum. I am looking to purchase The Axe-Fx II XL+ but wanted to read through the forums to educate myself and I suppose bottom line.......am I doing the right thing. Currently use TC Electronics Nova System. Pain to use, but good effects. I'm getting on in years but still young at heart and love the fact that you have all those amps and effects in one unit, not just any amp and effects but all very high quality. Perfect for my studio setup and occasional gig
Regards

Johnny

Having used TC systems before (Nova and G-Maj) - the FX in the axe are better, and easier to program/route than most FX in the TC units. There are some in the TC that are really top notch - and in those cases the AFX only equals them.........

Where are you located. im assuming the UK obviously.

hi & welcome to the forum!

depends what you want and need as the axe fx is much more then an effect unit.

I owned a tc electronics nova system, a nova drive and the g-system and changed to axe fx 2 (mkii). And now i have sold everything and only have now axe fx2, mfc101 footcontroller with el34 stereo poweramp & cab. I have no single regret! One can also take the behringer footcontroller which is much cheaper and there is also a scribble big footcontroller which are more expensive.

Then there is the ax8 and fx8. have a look at their options including buildin footcontroller.

Both axe fx & ax8 are very capable for gigs as well as studio recording and both very flexible great systems. And there are many effects to choose from as well as amps & cabs.

I am glad I changed over to Axe FX as did Steve Vai and Joe Satriani ;)

Hope this gives a little help.

Hi
Thank you for letting me join your forum. I am looking to purchase The Axe-Fx II XL+ but wanted to read through the forums to educate myself and I suppose bottom line.......am I doing the right thing. Currently use TC Electronics Nova System. Pain to use, but good effects. I'm getting on in years but still young at heart and love the fact that you have all those amps and effects in one unit, not just any amp and effects but all very high quality. Perfect for my studio setup and occasional gig
Regards

Johnny
You came to the right place if you're looking for a bunch of geezers who are passionate about their black boxes...there are some younguns here as well......
If you can afford, jump on the waiting list NOW, not a second to waste....

Thank you everybody for your input. I have done a lot of reading and will definitely be purchasing The Axe-Fx II XL+. G66 have told me they can ship today so will put my order in within the next few days. I thought they would have a waiting list but apparently not.
Paul I'm located in Essex. You probably won't hear from me till it arrives but will definitely let you guys know how I get on. I'm guessing I will be locked in the studio for a while. (Well the spare room)

Johnny

One thing to keep in mind is that your enjoyment of the AxeFX II will be heavily dependent on your amplification system. A bargain set of studio monitors won't give you the true potential of the AxeFX, so it's good to budget it quality stage or studio monitors, a cabinet, etc.

You came to the right place if you're looking for a bunch of geezers who are passionate about their black boxes...there are some younguns here as well......
If you can afford, jump on the waiting list NOW, not a second to waste....

The name says it all. The FX is the bomb. Best gear I ever purchased, and I have purchased a lot of gear. After all... I am the Geeze.

I bought mostly for the effects (world class studio effects and amazing routing); the amps sims were pure gravy to me (and now I would never go back to any other way to model amp or even muck with "real" guitar amps - with so much choice of tone (Fender, Vox, Marshall, Boutiques (D-types, Trainwrecks, Komet, Matchless, etc), superb FAS models, etc.)

I run through "real" cabs (vs. IRs), but for headphones and recording the IR's are there for cab emulation.

Incredible black box, with product support like no other (another huge surprise benefit). With the AXE FX as basically a dedicated audio processing computer, and software upgrades/changes (firmware updates) allows complete remodelling changes which FAS supports rigorously in continuous improvement initiatives. Best music product I ever bought. :)

Happy trails on your journey bro ...

Welcome, Johnny. The XL+ is a beast of a machine, the FX are incredibly good, and the overall capabilities are unmatched. Just one man's opinion (albeit one who has an XL+ and has been playing Fractal since 2011), but you can't go wrong.

I currently use a Gibson Les Paul RO and a 1954 master built Strat. Both go into the TC Electonics Nova System and then from the outputs into a Steinberg UR44. I use active Tannoys (flat response) and it sounds good to me.
Eventually I would buy a Marshall stereo power amp and two 2 x 12 cabs. I take it I would have to buy flat response speakers (IR Cabs). Not sure if I would run mono or stereo for live work.
Then of course I would have to purchase the MFC 101. What I won't do is buy lesser quality gear, otherwise it defeats the object. Thanks Ben for pointing that out. I can see how easy it could be to use lesser quality amps and speakers and to be mistakenly disappointed with the axe fx
Johnny

Then of course I would have to purchase the MFC 101. What I won't do is buy lesser quality gear, otherwise it defeats the object. Thanks Ben for pointing that out. I can see how easy it could be to use lesser quality amps and speakers and to be mistakenly disappointed with the axe fx
Johnny

Tons of great choices out there! Sounds like you already have some pretty nice gear. I agree, good gear is worth the cost. It's an investment in your tone!

It's easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of choices the AxeFX gives you. It's almost an embarrassment of riches. Don't feel you have to conquer the whole unit in one day. I've been using Fractal gear for 6 years and am still discovering new stuff. I pretty much mostly use the Friedman HBE and the Double Verb (Twin Reverb) models. It's fun playing around with IRs. They really show the power that cabs and mics have over your overall tone.

Above all, have fun! We're glad to have you!

Thank you everybody for your input. I have done a lot of reading and will definitely be purchasing The Axe-Fx II XL+. G66 have told me they can ship today so will put my order in within the next few days. I thought they would have a waiting list but apparently not.
Paul I'm located in Essex. You probably won't hear from me till it arrives but will definitely let you guys know how I get on. I'm guessing I will be locked in the studio for a while. (Well the spare room)

Johnny

Welcome Johnny! I'm in Essex too. If you get the urge to try out FRFR amplification and want to give the CLRs a whirl, shout ;)

Welcome Johnny! I'm in Essex too. If you get the urge to try out FRFR amplification and want to give the CLRs a whirl, shout ;)

Thanks Fox5150........much appreciated. Nearer the time I might even take you up on your offer

Back
Top Bottom