Introduction thread

Hi,

My name is Bob, and like many of you, own a FAS FM3 / EV-1.

I'd like to thank Leon Todd and G66 as well as Fractal Audio on YouTube for providing excellent instructional videos.

Gotta be honest, when I tried setting up some blocks, presets & scenes without reviewing the most basic set-up Leon taught, it was pretty pitiful. Now, a wiser student, am listening more intently to instructions. I'll say that there will be a lot that I won't be able to understand at first, but going over my notes will prove invaluable.

Thanks for allowing me to join the forum. Be well.

Hi,

My name is Bob, and like many of you, own a FAS FM3 / EV-1.

I'd like to thank Leon Todd and G66 as well as Fractal Audio on YouTube for providing excellent instructional videos.

Gotta be honest, when I tried setting up some blocks, presets & scenes without reviewing the most basic set-up Leon taught, it was pretty pitiful. Now, a wiser student, am listening more intently to instructions. I'll say that there will be a lot that I won't be able to understand at first, but going over my notes will prove invaluable.

Thanks for allowing me to join the forum. Be well.
Welcome to the funhouse, @bleujazz3 !

Yes, there's a lot to learn. But it doesn't take long build up basic competence. You'll get there before you know wit.

Welcome to the funhouse, @bleujazz3 !

Yes, there's a lot to learn. But it doesn't take long build up basic competence. You'll get there before you know wit.

Rex,
Thanks for the welcome. I've currently got FM3 v. 3.02 FW. I'd prefer to maintain this until Cygnus moves beyond the beta stage. Will be viewing the FM3 Cygnus posts for when it's safe to upgrade without the current issues some have described.

Hi, dudes! In years past, I owned an Ultra (for a short time) and an AX8. Wanted to try something new for playing at church and have been using a Helix LT into an Atomic CLR wedge for the last year or so. Last night, I finally pulled the trigger on the FM3. Cannot wait to get this thing!

Just placed my order for a FM3 B-Stock unit... I'm stoked , now thinking about how quickly I should start selling off my small 'tube' amp collection.
Hey there @Joe_Nowhere
Welcome to the forum and keep us informed if the fractal is an amp killer in your experience.

In my case: I have never owned a Tube amp myself, so yeah really interested to know.

Cheers

Hey there @Joe_Nowhere
Welcome to the forum and keep us informed if the fractal is an amp killer in your experience.

In my case: I have never owned a Tube amp myself, so yeah really interested to know.

Cheers
Well, after some delays in the delivery process ( partly due to me changing the end location after it was initially shipped ), I finally got my B-stock FM3. There's one small blemish on it , about 3cm in diameter where the paint/coating isn't quite 100%, other than that it looks quite lovely.

It took me several hours to figure out how to get it connected and functioning the way I wanted ( using Output 2 into 'return effects' on a tube amp/speaker. I think I must have copied Input 1 to Output 2, rather then Output 1 to Output 2 because now matter what presets I choose, it all came out 'clean'... :) But anyway I eventually got that sorted out too. In the process of fiddling with all that, I did get much more familiar with the screens and how you maneuver around the system... So even though I didn't get any really good sounds out of it during the first 3 hours or so, I did learn a lot.

Oh, and the tube amp I was originally working with , must have had a tube die on me during all that initial fiddling around, so I had to get another amp out of storage and use that. ( Tubes aren't always the most reliable of things in the universe ).

Eventually I did get to the point where I sampled a fair number of the presets and thus far am pretty impressed with those, but my real deep desire is to explore making my own sounds/presets. I'm not much of a guitar player, but I love the different sounds that different amps and effects can make, which can get pretty expensive if your buying all kinds of pedals and amps , as you seek new ( or try to recreate old sounds that people made in the past with amps and pedals, etc... ). I'd say at this point, I'm poised to really start diving deep into what can be done with the FM3.

I can say with , virtually 100% certainty that I wish I had this thing about 10 years ago.... I could have saved a fair bit of money, by not having to buy amps and pedals on my quest to play with guitar sounds. The 'feel' of playing through the FM3 is absolutely no different than playing through a Tube amp, and for me that's HUGE. I LOVE the way you can go into the bowls of an amplifier and tweak stuff, it's really a feature that I never even really imagined would be possible a few months ago. I had been contemplating building my own amps, just to get sounds and such that I craved, or at least that I had wanted to hear and/or learn about the controls on some older ( Early Fender amps mostly ) amps... and well, to try to shorten this post up a bit. I really am 100% convinced that the Fractal FM3 is going to keep me satisfied with all the fiddling and such I want to do, for quite some time..

I think the only thing the FM3 can't do, that I may some day want to do, is to be able to put two different amps in the signal, so I could play with that too... I guess to do that you need the AXE-FX III, so maybe in a few years I'll be looking to upgrade, who knows.

Hey there @Joe_Nowhere

That is quite a fascinating beginning with the fractal unit, but came out good eventually.

When working on your sound, dont miss out on the fractal stock impulse responses (iR) that are available. After i discovered those and how to audition them easily, i am really getting some great sound that matches my guitar output. The amps are amazing sounding and in combination with a good iR of your ears taste, to stop playing is not possible so beware ;)

I recently found the 4x12 Dizzy K100 906 D1 ML iR from ML soundlab in the factory 2.. wow amazing sound in combination with the Mesa IIc+ just what i was looking for. Clean, crunch, lead and Shred... all sound perfect with this one. Even the Piezo acoustics sound great. Check the factory iR's... its the liquor in your coke 🤪.

Good luck on your "tour de France fractal"

Cheers

Hey everyone! My name is Jack and I just bought an Axe-FX III a few months ago. I play mostly indie/folk rock on one hand and death metal on the other. I'm a bit of a hybrid in that I hated playing in bands in high school so much that I learned how to sing and play guitar in a specific way so I didn't need other people. Now that I don't have time for a band anyway I've gone back to trying to re-learn how to play much heavier metal just like I was doing in high school when I had nothing better to do.

Hey everyone! My name is Jack and I just bought an Axe-FX III a few months ago. I play mostly indie/folk rock on one hand and death metal on the other. I'm a bit of a hybrid in that I hated playing in bands in high school so much that I learned how to sing and play guitar in a specific way so I didn't need other people. Now that I don't have time for a band anyway I've gone back to trying to re-learn how to play much heavier metal just like I was doing in high school when I had nothing better to do.
Welcome, Jack! Good times to be had, as I'm sure you've discovered if you've had your Axe for a few months. ;)

Hello everyone, on the waitlist for the new FM9, it will be my 1st dive in the digital world.

Been playing for 40 years.

I really enjoy watching the video of fractal users such as Mark Day, Leon Todd and Cooper Carter.

The music and sounds they create and demo are incredible and inspiring.

Cheers
Joe

Last edited:
Hello everyone, on the waitlist for the new FM9, it will be my 1st dive in the digital world.

Been playing for 40 years.

I really enjoy watching the video ol fractal users such as Mark Day, Leon Todd and Cooper Carter.

The music and sounds they create and demo are incredible and inspiring.

Cheers
Joe
Hi, Joe! I'm a 51-year old guitarist that's been playing for nearly 40 years as well. The old guard is represented! :)
Wes

52 and growing younger. After long fantasizing about building guitars out of cigar boxes and rubber bands, started on nylon string with classical lessons at age 10. Welcome all, youthful and vintage, and to those in the states, Happy Labor Day Weekend! Cheers, Daniel

37 years playing and counting. Kind of depressing. Shouldn't I be more than just mediocre at
best by now??
Yes. Yes you should! LOL J/K
And at 57, and 41 years playing, SO SHOULD I! But after getting the 2 most inspiring pieces of music gear I've ever had (Majesty and then the Axe3), I can honestly say after about 2 years of really hitting it hard, my playing is probably twice as good as it's ever been. (Which still ain't good enuff!!)

Back
Top Bottom