Introduction thread

Hi-My name is Frank. I was an early axe owner and forumite...And I let a new member piss me off enough to where I left for a while.

Decided this forum is too important for some other person to keep me away. I was afraid I would get vindictive etc, but I haven't and will not do that.

I have much help to offer as I have in the past and that's more important than the bullsh** that gets thrown around.

***************This nothing at all to do with the prescription I got from the VA for Tranquilizers, nothing at all :)

So I am officially welcoming myself back............yay.......Even joined Facebook for the first time and the Fractal facebook page was my first page................................

Welcome back brother Frank!

Hi there !
I'm Alex, 34, from France and I am an Axeholic ;)
I've been interested in FAS products since god (JP) used the MK2 in his rig.
At this time I thought I needed an amp and couldn't afford expensive effects on it, totally stepped aside amp simulation.
So I used a Boogie Mark V for years, never have been able to crank it up, so it was hard to tweak and usable only at some hours of the day.
In may I sold it to buy the axefx2xl+ and I think I'll never go back or somewhere else !

Aside, I like video games, motorcycles, cats... :D

Welcome, Alex!

There's nothing like cranked-amp tone at manageable volume.

Hey all!
My name is Mike, I'm new the the forum, and new to the Axe. As a matter of fact it gets delivered today. So I am looking forward to an entire weekend being hold up in my studio!
Super excited to hear what this thing can do.

I have used modelers for as long as I can remember, dating back to my first, the Johnson J Station, and then working my way through the POD lineup up to the HD500X, and then through all the various plugin modelers out there. I eventually bored with them and thought they sounded rather sterile, so I went back to micing my tube amps. Then a few weeks ago a buddy of mine picked up an AXE and boasted about how great it sounded, so I thought, let me give it a go.

I don't play out anymore, I am just a home studio guy who loves to write my own songs and record. So if this works out it will be great to have a solution to having to mic up and play my 100watt beasts through my Fryette Power Station in order to not get evicted from my apartment. lol
Looking forward to seeing what the future holds with the Axe Fx II MK II I picked up!

Greetings my (newly) fellow Fractalites.

I have been waffling over the idea of getting an axe for years. I couldn't take it anymore, just went to the store and bought one of those old XL 1.0 models for the reduced price. I've been wanting one of these units forever, so tired of lugging so much gear to/from practice and gigs, (not to mention dealing with all the cabling involved in a 4CM setup), I finally said screw it and so here I am.

Very excited for the middle of this week. Less excited about the end, when my credit card bill is due, lol.

If I like the unit as much as I think I will I will probably be selling one of my killer amps (JVM 410H most likely, as much as I'd hate to see her go) to offset the cost of the Axe and an MFC.

I'm on the waitlist for the AX8 but as I always have to have the biggest and the best, I think this decision will be the happier one in the long run. Anyway, cheers to the forum, pray for me as I begin my long 2-3 day wait. :D

Welcome, meshall! There's going to be a big grin on your face in a few short days. :)

Hi! My name is Hernan , 32 years old,from Argentina.

I play the guitar and i made guitars , studied lutherie .(i made that guitar in my avatar ).

I owned a lot of amps in the past but i am tired of that haha. So...cause i often travel to the US i signed up for the wait list of the ax8 (my causin lives in NJ).

I read this forum almost everyday but today i signed up .

Sorry my English! Cheers to the forum! ?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm a scottish guitar player and tutor known as UncleRob199 or Robbie Johnson on twitch and youtube, and Scias in some other online places. I'm seeking to buy the XL+ this year (I wish I could get the limited XL but apparently that's not shipping to the UK). (EDIT: It appears they are sold out now anyway)

I watch Chris on AxeFXTutorials when I can and I'm super hyped about Fractal products, the XL/XL+ specifically. Especially as I'm currently running a plywood stratocaster through an ancient version of Cubase with a small audio interface and relatively cheap cables at the moment so I'm looking to improve my sound which I believe a new guitar and Axe FX will achieve for me no end.

I am looking to complete the insulation and building the interior of a new room in the summer, and have not allowed myself to buy these new gears until I have completed that room, giving me incentive to get it done lol. But at the same time, the longer I take to do it, the more money I will have saved at the end :)

Welcome to the madhouse, Scias!

Hint: insulate that room with old newspapers, and you'll save your even more money. :)

Scias, meshall, HG Guitar, welcome all! Enjoy the forum, it's among the best (if not the best) on the 'net.

Hey all, I'm Mike. I've been a lurker/compulsive updater/preset theif since I got my AxeFx II last year. I used to suffer from severe GAS, but now I don't even think about amps or effects, only getting my hands on more guitars to plug into this magical box. It's definitely the best gear purchase I've ever made... It's also my cat's favorite seat, probably because of all the dynamic, tubey warmth it exudes.

"The Mesa models are now the cat's fuzzy backside"

Lol that's a great pic, the cat is the same colour as the Axe FX. It must like the warm tone. Just listen to that purr.

Hi, mkhlmk. Enjoy the ride!

Oh, and a word of warning...eventually, every cat pukes on its favorite spot. Just hope there's not a mouse tail in it. :)

Just posted for for the first time after lurking for a while, and thought I should come here to introduce myself to the forum members.

Hello!

I've been somewhat active on other music gear and guitar forums for years, but the recent release of the AX8 has made it just about attainable for me to get into a Fractal modeling world. I've been extremely impressed by the wealth of knowledge on this forum, as well as the generous and selfless contributions from users when it comes to patches and settings. It truly feels like a collaborative effort here with the goal to optimize Fractal products to their fullest potential, and that makes so much sense to me because by doing that everybody benefits.

My main musical influences and tendencies are late 60s to early 70s rock. I've played guitar for over 20 years now, and as a teenager learned by playing through the Beatles catalog. Then on to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, Cream, and the like. I'm sure I'll be chasing Page's MSG live tone for the rest of my life--and happily, I might add! I've actually gotten very into the Stones lately.

My current set up is Edwards Page 112 LP/MJT Blackguard Tele - Rippah Q Wah - Lemon Drop - Liquid Lead - Belle Epoch - Roto Choir - Watts Supro 6424 (modified to late 50s Supro 1624T specs). After years of gear rotation, the Catalinbread Belle Epoch into the Lumpy's Liquid Lead into the Supro gets me as close as I can imagine to that Page live tone short of me getting a '68 SuperLead. I love that Tommy at Lumpy's designed the Liquid Lead specifically for the treble input of a '68 SuperLead. And Lumpy's Lemon Drop is designed on the Vox 4 and 7 series amp tones that were used by the Beatles (Revolver), Stones, and Zeppelin (II). That pedal is simply amazing. It can do overdrive, honky stuff, but also cranked it's a fuzz. Very versatile. After going through phasers and univibe type modulation I came to realize that, again, I really wanted what the Beatles, Stones, Floyd, and Zeppelin actually used which were Leslies. So I ended up with the RotoChoir.

In the end where modeling is concerned here are my must haves:
  • 100w Marshall SuperLead treble input
  • EP3 Echoplex delay
  • Leslie rotating speaker
Although I do love the Lemon Drop it's so unique that I don't expect it to be modeled. But those Vox amps are a very cool common thread in the sounds I love from those killer bands, and I'm not sure people really understand the significance of them since they're so rare these days. I would just about die if a Vox 4 / 7 series amp were to be included in Fractal products.

Aside from that, I go through the temptation of wondering what if this amp what if that amp, hey that's such a cool sound what amp was that--oh it was a High Powered Tweed Twin? Oh, it was a Hiwatt? Etc, etc. And the same with pedals. This reverb, that reverb, this tremolo and so on. For the things that aren't must haves, there sure are a ton of "wants" and those wants change all the time. I haven't got the time, energy, or money to constantly be buying and selling.

And that's where I'm really excited about the possibilities within the AX8. It feels to me like an investment in possibility and flexibility. You want something that exists? That amp is probably there. You want something that isn't in there? You can make so many adjustments. This pre and that power amp? Done. Those sorts of things really appeal to me. And being able to replicate other instruments, such as bagpipes with a drone, just puts it over the top. I'm often dealing with preferring very obscure things that I think ought to exist but either don't or are way too much $$. Being able to create my own sounds based on my research is something that it seems like Fractal is all about. With the release of the AX8, it's just about within reach for me, financially.

See you all around the forum!

Welcome, McQ7! You've come to the right place. If you have a tone in your head and even half an idea how to get there, you'll find something you love.

Back
Top Bottom