IRs Introducing the OwnHammer (r)Evolution Impulse Response Series!

Third-party impulse response pack
Anyone want to chime in on how different these really sound compared to the "other" say mesa cab with the same speaker???

In fact, all these (r)Evolution pack sound less "harsh", very well balanced, with a 3D perceived sound...
I've got nearly all the Ownhammer IR with V30's, and some Greenbacks too... all their IR are really fantastic, it's like I feel the wood of the cabinet behind me, the FMAN, ZILLA and RECTO were my favorites... but with this new (r)Evolution, they have done even better than before, the (r)Evolution TRAD is better then their previous RECTO one, as I've said, more balanced, with delicious sizzle highs but never harsh... very realistic.

New Release: 112 RECT VTP-12A

Available now on the OwnHammer website for the (r)Evolution/TrueStereo™ series of impulse response libraries is the 112 RECT VTP-12A, based on and seeking to recreate the sound of a Celestion® V-Type speaker loaded in a MESA/Boogie® 1x12 Recto® cabinet.
Numerous cabinets were auditioned with this speaker, and this particular pairing just SANG. Here's what Kevin has to say about the gear:
The Cabinet (112 RECT)
"This cabinet does an excellent job of having a tonality that is both unique and transparent. While most all cabinets impose something on the overall sound, some more than others, what this cabinet does comes off more like an "enhancement" than a "signature". In this way, it allows the driver to express itself without much at all in the way of forced unwanted overtones, and what it does have in that regard coalesces into something very pleasing - a clarity in the mids and top, and fullness in the low midrange, especially for a box of this smaller size."

The Speaker (VTP-12A)
"While most 'V-style' speakers tend to accent the upper mids, this driver's unique voice more accentuates lower midrange frequencies. This gives off a warmer, fuller, somewhat softer tonality, that lends itself to smaller and open back enclosures, another contrast to 'V-style' speakers. The overall sound is pleasant, smooth, and full, without being dull."

The Combination
"These two pieces merge to result in a sound that is big for being small, and expressive for being thick. If there were non-music related words to describe it, it would be a "chocolate fat-baby little-big box". This tone can be great for adding fullness to the traditional combo amp sound - excellent for blues-jazz fusion, for example - and is utilized this way to great effect in the real world. Surprisingly and probably not commonly thought of, it is also superb for adding tightness to bigger box tones by blending this cab/speaker in underneath a larger cab/speaker configuration."

Hear it in action:

(r)Evolution/TrueStereo™ File Updates

For those who purchased any of the (r)Evolution/TrueStereo™ libraries before December 15, file updates are available for all of the libraries from that first release. These updates include:

Right Channel Mono Files

"Right Channel" IR's (200 ms, Mono) have been added to the Mono.zip files. These files can be found inside each of the Mics and Mixes folders as a following directory level (in a folder named "Right Channel").

In the original launch, the Mono segment of these products only contained the left channel files, and the right channel was only available as embedded in the TrueStereo™ segments. For those who may not have access to singular stereo loaders and wish to import the left and right files separately, these files provide the ability to do so.

Haas Precedence Effect Files
"Haas L/R" IR's (500 ms, TrueStereo™) files have been added to the TrueStereo.zip files. In the segment containing the Mics and Mixes folders, look here for the sections labeled as containing Haas L/R files.

What do these "Haas" files 'do', exactly? This technique is often referred to as "faux stereo", where a mono source is given a stereo spread through manipulation of a time delay. In the case of the OwnHammer TrueStereo™ Haas IR's, it is a market first to have this provided in the simplistic turn-key format of an impulse response file. The applications vary, but it is widely adopted in the live arena by touring guitarists who want their rhythm tracks to sound wider and "larger" in a single guitar ensemble. Additional use can be for looper users to have their rhythm tracks panned out, then switch to a normal mono IR for the lead that goes over top and between it. If used with a compatible loader, this is what it sounds like:

If you picked up these libraries before December 15th and have not yet re-downloaded the updated files, you can do so from the My Account area of the OwnHammer website once logged in. Simply view the order(s) containing these libraries and download the desired zip files.

If you've purchased these libraries on or after December 15th, you already have them in your zip files/subsequent folder structure.

Website Updates
The majority of the last month has recently been put into reorganizing, giving a visual facelift to, and populating mass amounts of information for the already substantial documentation areas of the OwnHammer website.

While still much is left that needs to be completed (paused to prep for and attend Winter NAMM 2020) and will be resumed and hopefully finished in the coming weeks, we invite you to take a look around at the enormous wealth of information added to the following areas if you have the time and interest:

Hopefully these resources can benefit you and enhance your use of the OwnHammer products in your creative endeavors!

What's Next
While 2019 was relatively quiet on the outside, numerous new product pathways, major projects, and integrations were in the works behind the scenes. 2020 will see some major announcements and very cool new product and service arenas for OwnHammer as some of these developments are nearing more final stages. Very soon we hope to be bringing some of this big news to light, and can't wait to share with you all these tools that can help expand and enhance your music creation, performance, production, and enjoyment endeavors.

Until Next Time, and Enjoy!

Last edited:
So, I bought the Evo cab pack with the 8 cabs. Is the new mesa 1x12 available in my account or do I have to buy it separately?

The 112 RECT VTP-12A is a new and separate library, yes. The updates to the (r)Evolution Debut Bundle did not add any additional cabinets or speakers, just the additional files listed above (Mono Right Channel, TrueStereo™ Haas L/R) for those eight cabinets.

Do you mean that the axe "autocorrects" this effect?

No I mean with alignment in the cab block you can load up two of the same mono IR, pan LR and add micro delay to one of them, from what I understand that's all the TrueStereo IRs are. If you don't have alignment functionality in a Helix you couldn't do that, so these TrueStereo things let you get some stereo action in a lower tier unit.

Have you guys ever tried shooting two IRs at the same time, with one impulse but 2+ mics printing off the same impulse? That would be legit true stereo when you pan those LR.

Just to say it, the problem with using the same IR (any signal really) on both sides but delaying one a little is that you get massive phase cancellation if the two stereo sides are ever collapsed down to mono.

For that reason, it's my understanding that simple Haas effect "stereo" is generally thought not to be a good idea. I'm a huge Ownhammer fan, but making a big deal out of this feature seems ill-advised. There are lots of great reasons to be interested in this line of IRs, but that's not one of them. IMO, YMMV, $0.000002, etc..

These (r)Evolution libraries are fantastic! But I was sad to see the SP mixes go away with these releases. Or did I miss them somehow? Does anyone have information about this? (Or Ownhammer?)

With every previous Ownhammer IR library, I try so many mixes and mic IRs, and inevitably end up coming "home" to the SP2-05 mix. It just always works so well.

These (r)Evolution libraries are fantastic! But I was sad to see the SP mixes go away with these releases. Or did I miss them somehow? Does anyone have information about this? (Or Ownhammer?)

With every previous Ownhammer IR library, I try so many mixes and mic IRs, and inevitably end up coming "home" to the SP2-05 mix. It just always works so well.
Try the Full mix. In precious packs the SP2 was renamed to that. Might be a close starting point.

What Jarick said :)

I bought a lot of impulses from Ownhammer. I think maybe Ownhammer impulse response are the most complete list, but I miss more bass impulses and classic like Supro, Silvertone, or Laney.

Back
Top Bottom