IRs Introducing the OwnHammer (r)Evolution Impulse Response Series!

Third-party impulse response pack
Jon,
I just purchased and I think i see what he is saying. When you download and unzip it just creates a folder name Ownhammer Ir, then you click into that folder and it just has the different sample rates, it's not until you are 3 folder in that you actually see what cab it is. I just renamed the root folder to the name of the cab, but I can see what he is talking about.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I think i might grab them price is good
And i dont have the core tone or many ownhammers

The biggest thing that freaks me out is the vast # of files

I am using the York matchless and Mesa for the higher gain stuff and its incredible but i wouldn't mind another
Marshall Flavour

Don't worry about the amount of files. I would advise to do the following to get great results within seconds:

• Choose a cab
  • Open the Summary folder
  • Load the non-voiced one into your Fractal (f.ex 412 TRAD V30-MB1, not the M+ files etc)
  • Repeat for the other cabs if you want more cab choices
  • Like what you hear but want to try more? Go to the Mixes and/or Mics folder and try a few of those
  • Want even more? Experiment with the different voicing options like Mid Boost, Mid Cut etc.

Those are the steps I would take if I were new to this! So that's only 8 files to begin with if you're not counting the cab blends. The blends are super nice though so I would definitely also check those out (only available in the bundle). Should be a super easy way to get started. I think you'll like what you hear. :)

Hope this helps!

-Jon

Sooooo... I bought a couple of the other cabs and packs. I'm wondering what kind of redundancy is here. I'm using stuff from HHC1 and the single EDVH cab mostly. Well, plus the Ampeg bass cabs. I generally have an idea of what sounds like what. I've noticed at some point you run out of flavors because the tastes have been covered. Plus sometimes too many options becomes counter productive especially for people just looking to sound good and write music. So what I'm seeing here is more IRs that wouldn't necessarily compliment what I have already but instead just add to the pile. Not trying to be mean or anything, just a viewpoint from somebody with a load of stuff already.

Just to note that the demo videos sound like the same stuff that has been done and really doesn't sound like anything new and or revolutionary. Granted with the loyalty discount this whole pack is very inexpensive and I like what you did with having the different mix setups with descriptions.

Also, did you really trademark the term TrueStereo? Seems like a whole lot of hoopla. Honestly, a no nonsense approach to marketing is appreciated sometimes. Stay away from terms like revolutionary and game changer as so many products have that attached to them when they are just another product.

I will say though I am very happy with the cabs I have purchased from Ownhammer and they do sound good. Just noticing some possible redundancy.

OKay; still confused. Jon - you and Cliff have both made it clear that the "TrueStereo" files are pointless in the Axe III. However, when I load the "Summary" folder of files into AxeManage Cabs, I see it breaks them apart to L and R files.

So... should I load these in a cab block and pan them to their respective file name? Or is that pointless and I should just use the mono cabs? In other words, is there any point in me having essentially two of the same file (L&R) for each of the cabs in the TrueStereo Summary folder for each cab? Or would I be better off just loading the mono files of the summary folders in and mixing/matching/panning that way instead, essentially being able to load twice as many DIFFERENT IRs?

In other words, in the Axe Fx III and Helix, I'm better off ignoring the TrueStereo altogether, correct?

OKay; still confused. Jon - you and Cliff have both made it clear that the "TrueStereo" files are pointless in the Axe III. However, when I load the "Summary" folder of files into AxeManage Cabs, I see it breaks them apart to L and R files.

So... should I load these in a cab block and pan them to their respective file name? Or is that pointless and I should just use the mono cabs? In other words, is there any point in me having essentially two of the same file (L&R) for each of the cabs in the TrueStereo Summary folder for each cab? Or would I be better off just loading the mono files of the summary folders in and mixing/matching/panning that way instead, essentially being able to load twice as many DIFFERENT IRs?

In other words, in the Axe Fx III and Helix, I'm better off ignoring the TrueStereo altogether, correct?

It's funny that you mention this because up until yesterday I wasn't aware of this feature in Axe Edit. Someone made me aware of this and I tried it myself and it does seem to work, which is great! We are going to provide seperate L and R files to everyone who has bought the pack(s) but it seems you won't be needing them with this platform! :) So yes, it seems like you can load the IR's and pan them L and R in the cab block. Of course this will take up double the space in your IR section. For the Helix however you will have to wait until we provide the seperate L and R files, which will be soon!

-Jon

It's two different IRs in a single file. Therefore to get the vendor's desired effect you would load the two IRs into two slots in the cab block and pan one hard left and the other hard right.

It still begs the question: what makes these "stereo"? A guitar is mono. A guitar cab is mono. A mic is mono. When a song is produced the producer/engineer pan the various mono sources in the stereo space to create a stereo image. My guess is that they're two similar IRs bundled together to give a little separation. IMO simply give the user the data rather than resorting to obfuscation and marketing BS.

Wow these are nice
So far all I've had time to play with his the Mesa 4x12. Love the "57 sweet spot" IR and the Cab Block's "room" at about 33% with the Triaxis / USA pre Ld Yellow. Gorgeous tones

I'll chime in....so far I've only tried the M+ variants from the Summary folders. The Deluxe Reverb, AC15, both Marshall 4x12s and the Mesa Trad IRs are definitely going to find places in my live presets. I hope I find time to play with the named mixes...the descriptions are intriguing.

It's funny that you mention this because up until yesterday I wasn't aware of this feature in Axe Edit. Someone made me aware of this and I tried it myself and it does seem to work, which is great! We are going to provide seperate L and R files to everyone who has bought the pack(s) but it seems you won't be needing them with this platform! :) So yes, it seems like you can load the IR's and pan them L and R in the cab block. Of course this will take up double the space in your IR section. For the Helix however you will have to wait until we provide the seperate L and R files, which will be soon!

-Jon

So to confirm... use the TrueStereo files and hard pan the respective L and R IRs in the cab block?

I tried that last night and I didn't notice much of a difference against the Mono versions to be honest. Loading and splitting them is easy enough though. So for me the "True Stereo" aspect isn't all that interesting. But I still think it's a good bundle especially at the current price. And the new voicings are really nice to have. It simplifies the pack where all the mix options were starting to get overwhelming.

A message from our developer Kevin about the upcoming update:

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has shown their support of this library, to the new (r)Evolution/TrueStereo platform, and OwnHammer in general. The positive response we have received to this release and the new (r)Evolution/TrueStereo content has been absolutely unreal, and after such a lengthy time away from the public in terms of releases, this kind of 'welcome back' has been incredibly touching. A huge thank you to everyone for this, and we are so very happy that we have been able to make a positive impact on your musical experience.

As an addendum to this release, the acceptance and positive energy towards the TrueStereo content has been immense. Admittedly, I played the release a little safe in not splitting the Left and Right pairs in the file system, but given how everyone has taken to this like a fish to water, there is now a free update in the works that will accomplish the following:

In the Mono (208 ms) section of the file system, I will add the Right channel files, and in a way so that it doesn't clutter the folder/file organization for people who have no use for this and just want/need to use mono files.

I will add a "Haas" folder to both the Mono and TrueStereo segments that utilizes the base concept of the Hass Precedence Effect, where the right channel will be delayed a small amount with an injection of silence at the beginning of the file in order to accomplish the mono-to-faux-stereo effect. While not a magic bullet (or even my favorite thing in the world as I am very sensitive to time/phase discrepancies), this has its uses in spots; some legendary guitarists (JP) have been known to do this for their live rigs where this kind of effect has almost entirely positive results. Just a heads up - for some loaders, this could be problematic as the injected silence may take up the bulk or in some cases the entire amount of available IR space, as many loaders cannot load longer files. In these cases, it will be better to do this manually by loading the normal right channel, and adjusting settings to delay the signal. Once again, this will be a small addition "just in case" it may be useful for someone.

All of this will be a free update, and I'll make an announcement through social media and email once it is available for everyone to download from their account on the OwnHammer website.

In summary, thank you to everyone for the support, and we hope that the forthcoming update as well as the monstrous slew of new content coming your way in the form of new (r)Evolition/TrueStereo releases will be something you look forward to!

All the best,
Kevin

Also, Kevin has informed me that in the near future there is going to be a new knowledge base section on the OwnHammer website:

Tech Talk

Here he will discuss various topics, including the impetus for and use cases of TrueStereo. He had hoped to have this done before the release, but there was just too much to accomplish and not enough time to get to it before the holiday shopping weekend.

-Jon

Last edited:
It still begs the question: what makes these "stereo"? A guitar is mono. A guitar cab is mono. A mic is mono. When a song is produced the producer/engineer pan the various mono sources in the stereo space to create a stereo image. My guess is that they're two similar IRs bundled together to give a little separation. IMO simply give the user the data rather than resorting to obfuscation and marketing BS.
Completely agree - I don't hear thing "stereo" about it when I load the L and R files and hard pan them. In the align window, the curves look identical - so much so that they overlap and you can only distinguish them when you start to separate them. I'm gonna play around a little more this evening, but, aside from the massive quantity and fantastic quality of the IRs that you get, the whole "TrueStereo" thing indeed was just marketing that drew me in and, ultimately, is either inaccessible at worst, indistinguishable at present, and utterly useless at worst. Time will tell. Maybe someone can chime in a really show the power of the TrueStereo IRs.

Well, even though I had my lengthy post about my thoughts on the new stuff I still bought it. For less than $20 it seems like a generous collection of goods. Unfortunately I won't get to touch my Axe FX III for a couple weeks here due to work.

Got it, great release.

49159167621_4f7bedca2a_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom