Introducing OM369 - My FM9 style layout with FM3+FC6

Johan Allard

Power User
I'm on the FM9 waitlist for when it eventually reaches Australia. I thought I'd replicate the layout using my FM3+FC6 to see how it would work in practice. I used it for yesterday's rehearsal - first rehearsal in like 4 months after our very lengthy lockdown and it worked great so I thought I'd share as I saw some comments a while back but I don't think I've seen anyone actually posting a FM9 style layout for the FM3+FC6.

It's in the style of the FM9 layout but it's not a direct copy because I think it can be slightly improved on. Here's all the layouts. The 3 buttons to the left are the FM3 and the 6 to the right is the FC6 is that wasn't obvious. The blue text indicates which layout the button will take you to when clicked.

FC Switch Arrangement.png

A few notes:
  • The Scenes button toggles between the two scenes layouts (the FM9 preset uses a more button which I think is a waste).
  • The Effects button cycles between 3 Effects layouts.
  • I like to see what Layout I'm on instead of where I'm going. So on Layout 2 for instance, there's a custom label that sets the name to "Scenes B" which is the current layout. Same for the Effects Layouts.
  • The "Boost" button in Layouts 1 and 2 is Control Switch 1, assumed to be attached to in the input boost of the amp block.
  • The two views in the master layout are duplicated because it's not possible to set a startup view, and I use view 2 for all the FC6 stuff.
  • I've stopped using an expression pedal for Wah and just program an autowah instead. That's why I've included Wah 1 in Effects.
  • To reach Layouts 7 and 8, you'll need to go via the Master Layout (using the MLM combination with the two buttons to the far right on the FC6 pressed together).

Installing
Download the OM369 v1.0.fclayout below. In FM3 Edit, go to FC Controllers and in the Layouts Edit dropdown, select import all Layouts (it's also a good idea to export/backup all your current layouts so you can go back if you don't like these).

import_layouts.png

Configuration
The following configuration is also recommended to make this work as intended:

startup.png

fc_config.png

Testing
You can test with any preset obviously. And I've included a AC20/Plexi preset with the boost function configured, a 2dB slight boost (if you press boost not on the lead scenes) and a 4dB boost for lead scenes.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• OM369 v1.0.fclayout
    85 KB · Views: 18
  • AC20Plexi.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 8
One change I'll make from for myself is this is that I'm going to switch to the Scenes layout (Layout 1), whenever I select a preset but I thought that's probably not something that everyone would want so didn't include that in the OM369 layout above.

Thanks John,
That's pretty cool.
I find the +10/-10 Banks most innovative. I've had to stomp forever to move through multiple banks and this is a good idea.

Personally, I prefer to have the MASTER CONTROL on the FM3, because I often use th FM3 by itself.
That being said, I love the FM9 layout.

Regardless, thanks. This is very cool.

I find the +10/-10 Banks most innovative. I've had to stomp forever to move through multiple banks and this is a good idea.
I tried to avoid hold functions, but this just makes sense to me :)

Personally, I prefer to have the MASTER CONTROL on the FM3, because I often use th FM3 by itself.
That being said, I love the FM9 layout.
Yeah, with this I went a bit nuts, tried to squeeze everything in that's available. If you wanted to have the option of using this layout when using the FC6 and have the FM3 work well on its own without, that would need a little bit of tweaking. Depending on how many layouts you'd need for the FM3, I would remove layouts 7 and 8 above and dedicate them to FM3 only use and then make Layout 7 the default layout for the FM3 with say 3 Scenes as the main buttons. If there's no FC6 the FM3 would work just fine, and if you start pressing buttons on the FC6 it would move the FM3 to a FM3+FC6 mode using layouts 1-6.

Hold for Tuner would be a must for me, maybe the Tap Tempo always on the lower right? MHO Cool thread! Thanks for your work!

I tried to avoid hold functions, but this just makes sense to me :)

Yeah, with this I went a bit nuts, tried to squeeze everything in that's available. If you wanted to have the option of using this layout when using the FC6 and have the FM3 work well on its own without, that would need a little bit of tweaking. Depending on how many layouts you'd need for the FM3, I would remove layouts 7 and 8 above and dedicate them to FM3 only use and then make Layout 7 the default layout for the FM3 with say 3 Scenes as the main buttons. If there's no FC6 the FM3 would work just fine, and if you start pressing buttons on the FC6 it would move the FM3 to a FM3+FC6 mode using layouts 1-6.
You can see my thread on using OMG9 with FM3 alone. I covered this extensively.

I have the FC12 for the Axe III, the FC6 and the FM3 and now the FM9 also.
Still trying to find a unified way to use all this so I don't have to think when I use each. In other words, I want the layers to be the same for all 4 modes: FM3 alone, FM3 with FC6, FM9, and AxeIII with FC12.
So far, the OMG 9 layout modified for my need, with the FM3 alone (OMG3) option seems to fit the bill.

I'm very busy with other stuff now, but I will revisit when possible.

One change I'll make from for myself is this is that I'm going to switch to the Scenes layout (Layout 1), whenever I select a preset but I thought that's probably not something that everyone would want so didn't include that in the OM369 layout above.
How do you implement that? I’ve always wondered that. At the moment, I can select a preset, but then I hold the preset button to take me to the scenes layout. It works well, but one click would be amazing!

Also, can this be imported into an FM9? Or would I just have to craft my version of this from the OMG9 layout?

How do you implement that? I’ve always wondered that. At the moment, I can select a preset, but then I hold the preset button to take me to the scenes layout. It works well, but one click would be amazing!

Also, can this be imported into an FM9? Or would I just have to craft my version of this from the OMG9 layout?
The trick is to use Layout Links. Assuming you’re using the same Layouts I am above, Layout 1 - Scenes 1, Layout 2 - Scenes 2, … you set a Layout Link so when pressing the Scenes button on Layout 1, it switches to Layout 2. When you press the Scenes button on Layout 2 it switches to Layout 1. You can see the links for all buttons in my diagram above.

You can probably import this layout to an FM9. I would assume that some buttons would be in the wrong place compared to the FM3+FC6 but at least it would be a starting point.

I’ll post something when I get my FM9.

The trick is to use Layout Links. Assuming you’re using the same Layouts I am above, Layout 1 - Scenes 1, Layout 2 - Scenes 2, … you set a Layout Link so when pressing the Scenes button on Layout 1, it switches to Layout 2. When you press the Scenes button on Layout 2 it switches to Layout 1. You can see the links for all buttons in my diagram above.

You can probably import this layout to an FM9. I would assume that some buttons would be in the wrong place compared to the FM3+FC6 but at least it would be a starting point.

I’ll post something when I get my FM9.
Oh, got ya! Thank you for the quick reply! I was actually referring to having any given preset button take me right to the scene layout (which is what I thought you mentioned above, but didn’t implement it because you thought it wasn’t something others wanted). Did you wind up setting yours up that way so that any preset you select takes you right to your scenes layout? If so, did you do this with Layout Links?

Oh, got ya! Thank you for the quick reply! I was actually referring to having any given preset button take me right to the scene layout (which is what I thought you mentioned above, but didn’t implement it because you thought it wasn’t something others wanted). Did you wind up setting yours up that way so that any preset you select takes you right to your scenes layout? If so, did you do this with Layout Links?
Layout Links. See above. ;)

Layout Links. See above. ;)
Got ya! You know, it’s amazing... I remember asking if there was a way to do that a while back, and I don’t believe there was at the time. And now, I’m JUST discovering from this thread that there is, so this is super exciting! Hahah

Yes, as @Rex pointed out, Layout Links is the way to do that, and yes, I have done that as well. At a gig I want to get to the scenes view as quickly as possible so when changing preset I have layout links that takes me to the Scenes Layout when I switch presets.

I'm definitely one of those that tinker with things like this quite a bit to find the optimum workflow to make things as easy I can when I play, and this is just one of those things that's stuck. The Scenes toggle and Effects cycle work so well and can get to soo much stuff so easily that I haven't felt the need to change that after I created this.

Back
Top Bottom