Intonation with Axe tuner: Why doesn't it work?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
I've compared the Axe-Fx III tuner to some other tuners, and setting the intonation of a guitar with the Axe doesn't work. The high octave on any given string (open string to the 12th fret, or fretted like the 3rd to 15th fret), always reads as sharper than it really is. The intonation can be dead on with my Korg DT-7 and Sonic Research ST-200, and the Axe still shows the octaves to be quite sharp.

It's kinda weird, because tuning to the open strings works fine. But tuning to the 12th fret harmonics will give you a guitar that is flat across the range (since they read too sharp on the Axe tuner).

Are you using the meter or strobe view on the tuner? They use different algorithms so one may work better than the other for specific needs.

I was intonating a guitar yesterday. I felt similar. The fretted 12th fret was always more sharp, and I screwed the saddle back quite a bit, still sharp. I wondered the same thing.

I had the same experience, just with the FM3. For some reason only the harmonics on the treble strings (G, B and E) always read sharp. My clip on tuner worked better in that regard.

No issues with just tuning the guitar regurarly, though.

edit: Sharp, not flat.

Are you using the meter or strobe view on the tuner? They use different algorithms so one may work better than the other for specific needs.
Doesn't matter, both are sharp on every string when tuning the high octave.

Thought, I was the only one in the world with a DT-7
I personally know quite a few people who own one. It was one of the few BFTS tuners for quite some time.

I've compared the Axe-Fx III tuner to some other tuners, and setting the intonation of a guitar with the Axe doesn't work. The high octave on any given string (open string to the 12th fret, or fretted like the 3rd to 15th fret), always reads as sharper than it really is. The intonation can be dead on with my Korg DT-7 and Sonic Research ST-200, and the Axe still shows the octaves to be quite sharp.

It's kinda weird, because tuning to the open strings works fine. But tuning to the 12th fret harmonics will give you a guitar that is flat across the range (since they read too sharp on the Axe tuner).
Few variables that need to be addressed first before blaming the axe fx

Make sure the guitar is exactly in the same position in space while adjusting (no wiggling around whatsover)

Also make sure to not fret too hard/soft on the strings causing it to sharpen/flatten

Finally the guitar isnt a perfectly intonated instrument across all frets (nevermind fret wear/height causing intonation issues)

Ive read that the axe fx is as good as a peterdon strobe tuner

Few variables that need to be addressed first before blaming the axe fx

Make sure the guitar is exactly in the same position in space while adjusting (no wiggling around whatsover)

Also make sure to not fret too hard/soft on the strings causing it to sharpen/flatten

Finally the guitar isnt a perfectly intonated instrument across all frets (nevermind fret wear/height causing intonation issues)

Ive read that the axe fx is as good as a peterdon strobe tuner
Check on everything. Been doing all my own setups for over 20 years.

I had the same experience, just with the FM3. For some reason only the harmonics on the treble strings (G, B and E) always read sharp. My clip on tuner worked better in that regard.

No issues with just tuning the guitar regurarly, though.

edit: Sharp, not flat.
I have noticed the plain strings' octave harmonics reading a hair sharp on occasion where the open string is dead on, and the fretted octave just a tad sharper, despite sounding in-tune with the harmonic. I guess it's an "ears, not eyes" thing.... ;)

Reactions: J-V
I have noticed the plain strings' octave harmonics reading a hair sharp on occasion where the open string is dead on, and the fretted octave just a tad sharper, despite sounding in-tune with the harmonic. I guess it's an "ears, not eyes" thing.... ;)
Yeah, like with much of everything else "ears, not eyes" will serve people well with these things. But in my case it was significantly more than a hair, so that just caught me off guard in the moment.

Now, I'm by no means saying the tuner sucks, doesn't work well or anything like that. Quite the opposite in fact, it has and continues to serve me really well in day to day use, but then again I don't tend to intonate my guitars daily, or even weekly. But this one case just popped up that probably warrants some investigating and testing on my part too, and I'm interested in hearing about others' experiences.

Not with the tuner... That's a case where eyes should win. If we could just use our ears we wouldn't need a tuner ;)
Fair point well taken! Maybe 70/30 eyes and ears? Obviously this seems to be a predicament that warrants further pondering.

I can confirm this, my Peterson Stroboplus HD is dead on but the Axe-fx 3 tuner is sharp at the 12 fret. Open strings are fine.

I've noticed the sharp on my guitars as well. I tuned/intonated it with a strobostomp and it was dead on.
In either case, one of the tuners is lying. :D

Regular tuning is just fine though, no issues there at all.

Last edited:
I just checked with my PRS (which I know is nuts on), and it's not giving me a sharp reading with either the fretted 12th or the harmonic.

Back
Top Bottom