Intonation with Axe tuner: Why doesn't it work?

I wonder how musicians got through the 'Mozart' era with no visual aid.
In those days they used the just temperament system, so the instruments were only in tune for a particular key. That’s why classical pieces name the key they are intended to be played in. Modern pianos etc use equal temperament so that it sounds tuned ‘enough’ in any key. I’ve always tuned my B and E strings slightly sharp because I dislike choosing whether to have the G chord or the A chord perfectly tuned.

Big info there .
that’s the case to every non strobe tuners ?

Some great info and thoughts from a lot of people.

I don't know if it's the case with every non-strobe tuner, but I noticed many recording musicians I've known over the years are besotted with checking tuning with a Peterson strobe tuner, often double checking important fretted notes for particular parts before every "take". I had always been a little dubious about setting intonation with various needle tuners - just didn't always sound quite right. I ended up with Sonic Research Turbo Tuner, which solved all my issues with "intonation disbelief", as it is a true strobe tuner, and has incredibly fast response times across its 6 Hz - 4 kHz range.

Since getting the Axe FX III I have not needed the stomp box strobe tuner, really happy with the tuner in the Axe FX. Generally only ever use the strobe setting, whether I am playing guitar or setting intonation (I try to avoid tuners when I am playing - they can rob you of your sense of pitch ;)).

I only ever set intonation with brand new strings - even a small kink in a string, or a bit of finger detritus stuck under a string, can be really misleading.

Liam

Hope this isn't too off topic...

A few of you have mentioned Turbo Tuner. I have owned two, and it has always been my go to for intonation.

I chained it with my Axe FX III to see if either tuner in the Axe matched the Turbo Tuner. Guitar ==> Turbo Tuner ==> Axe Fx III. I had my doubts that either would match.

The Turbo Tuner was dead-on balls accurate to the needle tuner in the Axe. Not what I expected at all.

Reading this thread makes me wonder if the Turbo Tuner is in fact a strobe tuner, despite what Sonic Research says.

Has anyone else done comparisons with either a Turbo Tuner or a Peterson?

Before I post a wish list thread - I'm curious as to how many in this thread prefer the multi-column (a la Peterson) or multiple concentric circle (the old Conn strobotuner) visual display over the single wheel of the Axe III? (Personally I find the multiple bars easier to view.)

Dave

Before I post a wish list thread - I'm curious as to how many in this thread prefer the multi-column (a la Peterson) or multiple concentric circle (the old Conn strobotuner) visual display over the single wheel of the Axe III? (Personally I find the multiple bars easier to view.)

Dave
Have had the Peterson StroboStomp for a long time. Kinda used to that. The single wheel is kinda like that, but the multiple column is a little easier. A multiple column bent into the 180° arc would be nice, I think, but the current set-up is good enough, I think. Just used it to dial in the set-up on my red Tele, which got a new Rutters bridge and ToneHatch Shinkicker bridge pickup recently. Plays like buttah now....

Setup guitar first, then intonate last with a peterson, and check 12 and 24, find the sweetspot. Fret with same pressure and location as you normally play. Everyone that hears or plays my guitars cant believe how intonated they are. Takes only minutes if you know what to do. I wont even play a guitar that is intonated poorly, I hear it in the first few seconds and it makes me crazy. I do too many chord shifts I guess with open tunings etc.

Ive never considered using another tuner, I keep a strobostomp on my board. Its just so perfect 🤷‍♂️

I wonder how musicians got through the 'Mozart' era with no visual aid.
Most stringed instruments either lacked frets or had movable frets, so there's that.

Big info there .
that’s the case to every non strobe tuners ?
No, since my DT-7 doesn't followed the needle on the Axe.

Hope this isn't too off topic...

A few of you have mentioned Turbo Tuner. I have owned two, and it has always been my go to for intonation.

I chained it with my Axe FX III to see if either tuner in the Axe matched the Turbo Tuner. Guitar ==> Turbo Tuner ==> Axe Fx III. I had my doubts that either would match.

The Turbo Tuner was dead-on balls accurate to the needle tuner in the Axe. Not what I expected at all.

Reading this thread makes me wonder if the Turbo Tuner is in fact a strobe tuner, despite what Sonic Research says.

Has anyone else done comparisons with either a Turbo Tuner or a Peterson?
Weird, since my ST200 closely matched the Axe strobe, but not the needle tuner. I ran a sine tone generator into both at the same time.

Just a note as i have done the intonation of my Les Paul after changing the bridge today, using a Korg clip on the headstock , things fit perfectly on the 12 frets or open. This tuner is maybe 20 bucks approx 😅

Attachments

• D8DEDDD3-9146-4D58-A499-A1A1FF6698D0.png
    D8DEDDD3-9146-4D58-A499-A1A1FF6698D0.png
    808.1 KB · Views: 6
? AFAIK, the Turbo Tuner has always been advertised as a strobe tuner.

It depends on the frequency you're measuring. When I test the Axe-FX needle tuner with a sine test tone, it's fine below 400 Hz. Above that, it gives inconsistent, but generally sharp, readings. In other words, it gives good results in the range of open guitar strings.

Last edited:
I haven't tested with a sine wave but my Turbo Tuner ST-300 seems to match the Fractal strobe pretty well. The Turbo Tuner just has a more reactive display so it's a bit faster to use.

I haven't tested with a sine wave but my Turbo Tuner ST-300 seems to match the Fractal strobe pretty well. The Turbo Tuner just has a more reactive display so it's a bit faster to use.
This, my Turbo Tuner matches the Fractal Strobe also very well.

TBH before the recent tweak to the tuner I couldn't use it at all ,it just sounded out compared to my turbo tuner. It is a lot better now but not good enough to do intonation and still not in total agreement with my TT which sounds great to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom