Intonation and which tuner you use?

It's obvious to me that this is a personal thing. Yes, Peterson and Turbotune are mentioned the most. But still the answer varies and of course, as with most things musical, personal experience and taste.

It's all good imho.

@GotMetalBoy thx for that tip I just donated my $60 last week to get Reaper going to try that out.

Up til now I used a Peterson Strobe (clip on, laugh at me but its pretty accurate for what I do) or the AXE3 strobe.

So what is so good about the turbo tuner mentioned earlier?

Make sure you add the ReaTune to the Input FX and not the regular Output FX.

@GotMetalBoy thx for that tip I just donated my $60 last week to get Reaper going to try that out.

Up til now I used a Peterson Strobe (clip on, laugh at me but its pretty accurate for what I do) or the AXE3 strobe.

TT is the most accurate, and fastest tuner out there. Tons of programmability, rock solid construction, intuitive and uncluttered display, only con is its $200. But WELL worth it.

TT is the most accurate, and fastest tuner out there. Tons of programmability, rock solid construction, intuitive and uncluttered display, only con is its $200. But WELL worth it.

They say it’s the most accurate tuner out there because it’s accurate to .02 cents. More marketing than use IMHO.

Personally it's the sensitivity for me. Most tuners out there are "accurate", there's just different levels of sensitivity. Just about any tuner will get you in tune once you figure out where 'in tune' is on the meter. In my experience, for intonation, sensitivity is crucial. Trying to adjust intonation with some of the Boss or Korg tuners takes too much guesswork.

Peterson's tuners do a great job as well but after using the TT there's no going back for me. I also like ability to program offsets like the Peterson 'sweetened' tuning or EVH's reported tuning offsets. There are 6 "presets" so you can have strict concert pitch tuning, sweetened or EVH's tunings, drop D and/or open chord tunings, etc... all accessible with a couple of button presses.

I did buy the TC Electronics Unitune recommended in this thread. Tell you what, it is fabulous. I tested it against my Peterson Strobesoft 2 Dlx and it is right on. But the sensitivity is perfect. Well worth $30 imho. I do have 2 of the polytune clips but they just don't do it for me.....

@GotMetalBoy...So what is so good about the turbo tuner mentioned earlier?

What I like about it, is that it just works.. That's the best compliment I can give it. Everything you could want a tuner to do - excellently - that tuner does.. As odd as all that sounds.

There's no magic to it, just no drama whatsoever when using it. It's simple, it's stable - not jittery at all, it has Very-very fast and stable note detection - it reads minute note changes very quickly. It basically locks on to the string you are tuning and you just tune until the spinning stops. It's not hard to see, not hard to decipher, and very accurate.

It's the speed and accuracy of the thing, I think...not so-much that whole " ..within .02 cent" thing.. just the very-fast reading of those tiny incremental adjustments which makes accurate tuning so quick and easy while using it.

Of all the tuners I have had in 30+ years. It's the best tuner I have ever had. It just works great.

It's obvious to me that this is a personal thing. Yes, Peterson and Turbotune are mentioned the most. But still the answer varies and of course, as with most things musical, personal experience and taste.

It's all good imho.

I agree.. I would be happy with a needle tuner as I'm into that kinda analog-style thing, I just never had too much luck with them. The older needle tuners I had, 30 years ago, all had flappy-needle syndrome. Drove me up the wall using them... Very slow, and went mad approaching the note you were aiming for. Having said that, today's tuners are likely much better than that.

I also like the cheap digital Korg tuners I have - with the LCD Needle displays .. they don't react to note change while tuning near as quickly as that Turbo Tuner - you have to tune more slowly so as not to overshoot. But still.. nothing wrong with them at all, and would be just as usable for tuning or setting intonation as any other tuner.. In fact, the Korg tuner is what I use when setting intonation after a build, in my workshop.

Tuners...As long as they work, they work. No matter what tuner you get. They are not complex things.

I've been using a Turbo Tuner St-200 since 2009 and am thinking of buying the new version, just because... it's great!

I was very surprised by the TC Electronics UniTune. Same hw of course a the polytune but the meter is so much less cluttered and extremely clear, easy to read even without my glasses (reading glasses)

The peterson software works well but when I can spend the $$$ I will get the new $130 TurboTuner just because of the rave reviews here and elsewhere. IMHO you can never have too many tuners.....Hah

What I like about it, is that it just works.. That's the best compliment I can give it. Everything you could want a tuner to do - excellently - that tuner does.. As odd as all that sounds.

There's no magic to it, just no drama whatsoever when using it. It's simple, it's stable - not jittery at all, it has Very-very fast and stable note detection - it reads minute note changes very quickly. It basically locks on to the string you are tuning and you just tune until the spinning stops. It's not hard to see, not hard to decipher, and very accurate.

It's the speed and accuracy of the thing, I think...not so-much that whole " ..within .02 cent" thing.. just the very-fast reading of those tiny incremental adjustments which makes accurate tuning so quick and easy while using it.

Of all the tuners I have had in 30+ years. It's the best tuner I have ever had. It just works great.

I agree.. I would be happy with a needle tuner as I'm into that kinda analog-style thing, I just never had too much luck with them. The older needle tuners I had, 30 years ago, all had flappy-needle syndrome. Drove me up the wall using them... Very slow, and went mad approaching the note you were aiming for. Having said that, today's tuners are likely much better than that.

I also like the cheap digital Korg tuners I have - with the LCD Needle displays .. they don't react to note change while tuning near as quickly as that Turbo Tuner - you have to tune more slowly so as not to overshoot. But still.. nothing wrong with them at all, and would be just as usable for tuning or setting intonation as any other tuner.. In fact, the Korg tuner is what I use when setting intonation after a build, in my workshop.

Tuners...As long as they work, they work. No matter what tuner you get. They are not complex things.
I'm sold

Back
Top Bottom