Intermittent USB connection

Just wanted to say: nothing in our updates could really cause anything like this. All Mac Audio interactions are handled by Apple and nothing has changed on our side in recent memory.

By the way, an easier option than removing all of those files and rebooting may be to try a clean config in the MIDI studio window. Remove all physical devices, then choose Configuration: New

Last edited:
Thanks Admin M@... That could be the simple fix. Will try it later this evening.. Is there a well known, probable culprit in the problem where one USB port of a computer SUDDENLY doesn't recognize the AFx, but a second USB port does (intermittently)?

Attachments

• Mac OS X - How to Re-Configure Your MIDI Studio.pdf
    544.4 KB · Views: 7
Fwiw, I've had these issues since the beginning along with the misalignment issue in my daw (the audio lands on the wrong sample location). I'm on windows 10 Btw.

Since using the powered USB hub it hasn't dropped out even once for me (I made the original post in this thread). But I've heard at least one other person for whom that didn't solve the issue.

I found it helpful to try another computer to confirm the issue was something specific to just my own (both were Macbook Pros). In the end I told myself there must be some power issue with the USB connections on my Mac - but I haven't isolated that this is the case. But that would be the first thing I'd investigate should it happen again.

Good luck to those trying to solve the issue.

This still is an issue and unfortunately it happens quite often.
I really think it is the Axe Fx III itself.
I believe that because if the USB drop out occurs the problem can only be solved by restarting the Axe Fx itself.
So, when I restart the pc only and leave the Axe Fx on, the problem persists.
If I restart the PC and also the Axe Fx the problem goes away, until it comes back later.

Of course I can't be a 100% what the culprit it but it's a little annoying to deal with when working on a mixing project for example.
The recording offset was also weird but luckily that was at least fixable by adjusting the input record latency/offset.

PS: switching cables or USB ports never has helped for me...

I have a MacBook Pro with thunderbolt ports and use a USB to USB-C adapter. The manual says when using these adapters to have them plugged into the Mac first, then connect your USB cable to it. I've found at times Core Audio detects the AF3 and Logic has the AF3 as Input/Output, but I get nothing coming out of my speakers or registering on the track. What I do is disconnect/reconnect the cable from the adapter, then I get audio. A couple times when connected I've noticed the MIDI light is off, but I haven't paid enough attention to see if that's every time I have this issue (I think not though)

I also tried a 3rd party adapter and fractal bot/Logic would freeze. Only with an Apple branded adapter would it work for me.

Back
Top Bottom