Intermittent USB connection

I reinstalled my OS from Recovery Mode (where the OS is reinstalled without losing your data) with no luck. I just plugged into another computer again to be sure I hadn't imagined it working - still works perfectly - I updated to firmware 1.14.

Having to reinstall OS for a $2500 piece of gear for which multiple users are reporting the same issue. This is getting a bit ridiculous for sure.

I wonder if we can figure out any gear or programs we have in common that could be the cause? Audio programs and equipment I have: Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, Ableton Live (and a Push), Logic Pro, Garage Band (unused), Guitar Pro 7, Sibelius, Transcribe, Soft Step 2.

Got any of those or similar?

Did you contact official support? You have Windows, this thread’s issue is with Mac and not the same problem.
Ironically, my setup just started behaving almost exactly the same way as refractor describes. Axe Edit now connects and stays connected (i can edit etc), but USB audio through a DAW plays for maybe 10 seconds, then makes a weird noise and drops out. The Ax3 momentarily disappears as an available input device then reappears.

I haven't done anything further since I reinstalled the OS, so no idea what is going on. I will still go ahead with a full disc wipe and fresh OS reinstall. If that doesn't work I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions.

Ironically, my setup just started behaving almost exactly the same way as refractor describes. Axe Edit now connects and stays connected (i can edit etc), but USB audio through a DAW plays for maybe 10 seconds, then makes a weird noise and drops out. The Ax3 momentarily disappears as an available input device then reappears.

I haven't done anything further since I reinstalled the OS, so no idea what is going on. I will still go ahead with a full disc wipe and fresh OS reinstall. If that doesn't work I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions.
did you contact official support?

Which DAW?
If you are using Logic, you need to apply some specific settings to avoid this issue.
Also make sure the USB buffer length (Setup>I/O>Audio) is 256 samples or greater.

Which DAW?
If you are using Logic, you need to apply some specific settings to avoid this issue.
Also make sure the USB buffer length (Setup>I/O>Audio) is 256 samples or greater.

Ableton Live. Ax3 defaults to max of 256 samples, which it is. I read that a few people mentioned issues with Logic so I have only been trying with Ableton (with which I don't believe anyone has had issues).

Ableton Live. Ax3 defaults to max of 256 samples, which it is. I read that a few people mentioned issues with Logic so I have only been trying with Ableton (with which I don't believe anyone has had issues).
Understood.
Once thing you can try is just close all apps and then open iTunes and play that through the Axe and see if the issue persists. For me, the issue resolved with the USB buffer size. So I'm not sure where to direct you with that beyond the clean install.

Understood.
Once thing you can try is just close all apps and then open iTunes and play that through the Axe and see if the issue persists. For me, the issue resolved with the USB buffer size. So I'm not sure where to direct you with that beyond the clean install.
Good tip - hadn't thought of running iTunes thru it.

However, the strange ride continues. I unplugged my USB hub the moment I had a problem, as they are one of the first things people mention that can cause issues. Since I've tried whatever else, I thought I'll go the opposite way and plug it thru that. And now it works!

I'm worried that it will drop out at some point, but for now plugging into the (powered) USB hub has it working.

Not sure if this has been a learning curve - is there such a thing as a confusion curve, where you make progress but understand why less and less over time?

Thanks for the help all.

Indicates that there’s a USB port issue with the computer. In Windows you can see the ports and their properties in Device Manager. There’s probably a way on Macs too.

Indicates that there’s a USB power issue with the computer. In Windows you can see the power distribution among devices in Device Manager. There’s probably a way on Macs too.
I agree. Weird that it only affects the AX3 tho. I'll find out how to check the power levels and update if I find anything relevant.

Pretty excellent to have the AX3 in full working capacity!

Reactions: yek
You might want to check if the issue returns when plugged straight into the USB port and try various ports. The power issue might be limited to a single port?

On the topic of USB, are the Input 3 lights on the front of the unit supposed to be lit up when USB is connected?

You might want to check if the issue returns when plugged straight into the USB port and try various ports. The power issue might be limited to a single port?
I tried all the available ports on my Macbook Pro so it's likely that, if there is a power issue it seems to affect all of them. I'm trying to track down a USB power metre tester at the moment, I will report what I find.

On the topic of USB, are the Input 3 lights on the front of the unit supposed to be lit up when USB is connected?
The midi light comes on when I'm connected via USB, but I believe only the input lights on the front come from the guitar in.

Who else had this issue?

I just got hit with this TODAY. Received my AFIII a month ago, upgraded from II for the amazing I/O connectivity. Running AxeEditIII alongside TriplePlay. No problems UNTIL I messed with "Audio MIDI SETUP" today trying to output my mac's audio/tripleplay audio thru the AFIII on output 7/8 instead of 1/2 (wanted to have a USB Block that I could bypass with footswitch)... Now I am totally stuck... Cannot maintain a connection to AxeEdit III for longer than 2 seconds at a time..

The "focus rite" you tube video didn't help as we cannot determine which system library file to delete... (Obviously not FocusRite, as is the case in the video.)

Solved ...

Albeit, with a concern.... Not certain if my concern is applicable to the High Sierra MacBook or to the AXIII...

First, went into the MacHD>Library>Preferences>Audio - and deleted both "com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist" files.
Second, went into HD>hiddenLibrary>Preferences - and deleted "com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist" file.
Empty your trash. Shut down.
Third, *Important* before you turn your mac back on - RESET the PRAM/NVRAM... Google the details, but in essence, you're simultaneously holding down 'option, command, P, and R' milliseconds after you hit the power on button.

I am TOTALLY staying away from running Synth audio from my Mac thru to the AXIII with the USB cable. The problem arises THE VERY MOMENT that I try to make patch adjustments in AxeEditIII while also routing iTunes or TriplePlay sound through the AF's USB cord..

I've since just routed my TriplePlay out from Mac with an 1/8th stereo Y'd to unbalanced XLR males going in AFIII via Input2. Created an INPUT 2 block in my patch and assigned a CC# to control it via FCB.

LOVING THE III !!!

Sorry to dig up such an old thread but I seem to be having USB issues with my Axe Fx III every single day. Usually when I start up my PC the Axe Fx III works fine but then after a while it will stop any sound coming from my pc completely. Then I always have to restart both my PC and Axe Fx III to get it up again. I did update to the recent USB driver but it didn't help. I'm on W10 btw.

Yep... Me too... I updated to FW 8 last week. No problem. Then today, I received and connected the FC-12... Turned everything on. AXE EDIT prompted the update to 1.03.04.. And now NO AXE FX III recognized in USB (system report)... And a 1 second occasion where the AXE and EDIT appears connected, then gone.... Back to basic troubleshooting...

I've also started experiencing USB connection issues in the past week or so. Had some USB issues when I first got it a year and a half ago, but then has been working well up until to now.

Sometimes I will have to power cycle the Axe III several times before it will connect. Once connected, it occasionally loses the connection seemingly randomly; for example, while working with AxeEdit, the Axe will sometimes simply stop responding to the changes made on AxeEdit, and I'll have to power cycle several times to get it going again.

Back
Top Bottom